PDA

View Full Version : How about Mike Veeck for Marketing Director ?

Hangar18
04-22-2004, 09:10 AM
Greg Couch's article is EXCELLENT. This is the idea that needs
to be done. Unfortuneately, every chance Jerry gets to do the RIGHT thing, he invariably does the WRONG thing.
Anyone agree ??

http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg22.html

Railsplitter
04-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Three Numbers for you: 7/12/79. That's why I don't want ANY Veeck having anything to do with the Sox.

ozzman
04-22-2004, 09:25 AM
7/12/79

Remember that number and get me lots of birthday presents :) I'll be 25 this year

Procol Harum
04-22-2004, 09:39 AM
To hire Mike Veeck--which I'm personally not so sure would be that great of a move--would be unthinkable for Reinsdorf. It would be a tacit admission that his outfit had been doing things wrong all along, that all of his long-time critics were right, and would be a massive serving of humble pie for the guys who, after they bought out Daddy Bill V., were going to do things "right" and build a "first-class" organization.

Mike Veeck? Never in a million years if JR is at the helm. Think more like along the lines of his own son, Mike Reinsdorf.

Dan H
04-22-2004, 09:50 AM
I agree with Procol Harem. There is no way that Jerry Reinsdorf is going to hire Mike Veeck. Too much history. Reinsdorf has always resented having to compete with the Veeck name.

I had a lot admiration for Bill Veeck and even some for Mike. But I don't think another Veeck on the south side is going to help. The Chicago media has been pushing this idea for a long time. I really think it would be a wrong fit.

Having said this, I still think that big changes need to be made in this area. But does Jerry Reinsdorf?

woodenleg
04-22-2004, 09:55 AM
Those Mike Veeck ideas in the newspaper were hilarious, but there's no way in hell that will happen, and frankly, we don't need any more ridicule.

soxrme
04-22-2004, 10:25 AM
I for one would like to see Mike come here as long as they do not make him general manager. Like his dad, you do not know what he is coming up with next. Say what you want but the old man had a passion for baseball and the fans. It was a common sight to see him all around the park. My biggest complaint about the old man was he was not a GM, he broke up the 59 team that should have won in 1960 also.

DrummerGeorgefan
04-22-2004, 10:26 AM
Of course Veeck's name was going to come up, but he wont be hired.

But I think it does point to a bigger concern. The Sox need better marketing. They need to exploit the stadium more and show that from the lower deck the seats are the best you can find. They need to exploit the Hispanic market. They need to come up with better advertising. (IE: The kids can play, Whats changed...Everything).

Hopefully they bring in someone forward seeking and not the son of the emperor.

tebman
04-22-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
I agree with Procol Harem. There is no way that Jerry Reinsdorf is going to hire Mike Veeck. Too much history. Reinsdorf has always resented having to compete with the Veeck name.

I had a lot admiration for Bill Veeck and even some for Mike. But I don't think another Veeck on the south side is going to help. The Chicago media has been pushing this idea for a long time. I really think it would be a wrong fit.

Having said this, I still think that big changes need to be made in this area. But does Jerry Reinsdorf?

I don't think Reinsdorf is going to hire Veeck as the PR director,
or whatever Gallas' title was. I don't know if Veeck's the right
guy for that job anyway.

But I do think that Veeck would be great as a promotion-idea
machine. Maybe the Sox could hire him as a consultant to work
with the official shirt-and-tie guy who would be the PR director.
Veeck could come up with the promotions (I love the Scalpers'
Night idea!) and the PR director would do the day-to-day press
contacts and such.

Kind of like a bench coach, eh?

- tebman

Hangar18
04-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Ok so some of you say No Way, Dont Want him,
and others say No Way JR wont hire him, hes too proud.
I agree with the Latter, But the big problem is, Someone is
going to hire him, and would be Crushing if the Cubs Hire him.
As it is now, I predict Rob Gallas will be with the CUBS soon enough (cubs love taking things from the SOX and pretending it was their own all along) ............. and it WOuldnt be that much of a stretch for them to Consider Mike Veeck. The Media already likes Veeck, and we need Media Attention, for better or worse.

Hangar18
04-22-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by DrummerGeorgefan
Of course Veeck's name was going to come up, but he wont be hired.
Hopefully they bring in someone forward seeking and not the son of the emperor.

Is this the beginning of a modern-day Romanov Dynasty?

FJA
04-22-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Greg Couch's article is EXCELLENT. This is the idea that needs
to be done. Unfortuneately, every chance Jerry gets to do the RIGHT thing, he invariably does the WRONG thing.
Anyone agree ??

http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg22.html

No way in hell will Jerry hire Veeck. I'm kind of torn on the idea myself ... on one hand, it would probably be a disaster in terms of any image problems we've been making progress in fixing. On the other hand, I like the idea of LMAO everytime I set foot into the ballpark. Scalpers night, Enron night ... I'm still laughing about it, and it's been a while since I read the article.

By the way, Couch's lead is great:

Guess what Mike Veeck was doing Wednesday, the day after the White Sox marketing job opened. He was at home in Charleston, S.C., with a physical therapist working on his leg. He had broken it in three places.

On a romantic twilight bike ride with his wife, Veeck came across some kids playing basketball. Trying to impress them, he rode under the hoop, told a kid to pass the ball, caught it and shot.

The bike went flying from under him. Veeck as in bike wreck.

A 50-something man trying to play basketball while riding his bike. If that's not a Veeck, what is?

Hokiesox
04-22-2004, 10:56 AM
this is the best.

From the article:

"My favorite: Enron Night. Guys named Arthur or Andersen got in free. They had shredders at the gate and changed prices at the concession stands all night.

"We announced attendance at 142,000,'' [Veeck] said. "We adjusted it the next day to 6,200. We milked that for three or four days.''

jackbrohamer
04-22-2004, 11:05 AM
Someone is going to hire him, and would be Crushing if the Cubs Hire him.

I don't think he's "wholesome" enough for the Cubs to hire him, I can't see Veeck doing Barbie Doll and Beanie Baby giveaways.

Brian26
04-22-2004, 11:09 AM
Someone is going to hire him, and would be Crushing if the Cubs Hire him.

I think if Mike Veeck was going to be hired by anyone at the major league level, it would have happened a long time ago. He's been around for awhile now. The fact is, the Cubs don't need a new PR guy, as they're selling all of their seats anyway. Also, I think there is almost an unwritten/unspoken belief right now that the Veeck name is semi-blackballed from MLB. I'm pretty sure this is why he has had such a hard time getting back into the spotlight and has spent so much time up in Minnesota with the minor league affiliate (not sure if he's still up there).

soxnut
04-22-2004, 11:16 AM
After reading the article I'm nore inclined to say that I don't want Veeck. I think his promotions are a little too weird if you ask me.

The White Sox need to promote the history of their players and the history of the team alot more. People love nostalgia, and that's what gives people good feelings about something and want to be a part of it.

They've done things to the ballpark to start them in the right direction. (retro look, using player names on the concession stands, old logos on signage, the new retired numbers deco on the outfield) They need to bring that to an ad/marketing campaign.

Hangar18
04-22-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
The fact is, the Cubs don't need a new PR guy, as they're selling all of their seats anyway.

they didnt need Maddux, but got him anyway. Hiring Veeck,
the cubs (who will cut payroll back a bit in a couple yrs) have an Instant Remedy and Media TeddyBear to fall back on when that happens. Watch for the Mike Kileys articles toting "the Veecks were always synonymous with Cubs baseball" angles to be put out there soon enough. Im surprised the Cubs havnt put up a statue of old man Veeck already outside wrigley .............

Brian26
04-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Watch for the Mike Kileys articles toting "the Veecks were always synonymous with Cubs baseball" angles to be put out there soon enough. Im surprised the Cubs havnt put up a statue of old man Veeck already outside wrigley .............

True, true. I can totally see that happening. Good points.

Hangar18
04-22-2004, 11:23 AM
Look at the Irony, the final Nail-in-the-coffin for the SOX, being nailed by one of their own. the cubs would love that .......

Brian26
04-22-2004, 11:35 AM
Look at the Irony, the final Nail-in-the-coffin for the SOX, being nailed by one of their own. the cubs would love that .......

Hey now, let's not talk about coffins. When you say final nail in the coffin, to me it means the Sox are packing up their boxes and moving to Indianapolis or Virgina. Let's hope that NEVER EVER happens.

Hangar18
04-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Hey now, let's not talk about coffins. When you say final nail in the coffin, to me it means the Sox are packing up their boxes and moving to Indianapolis or Virgina. Let's hope that NEVER EVER happens.

If it ever did happen, these are the Circumstances for
which they would occur under

Win1ForMe
04-22-2004, 11:51 AM
My problem with Veeck is that his "wacky" ideas seem just like an extension of Gallas' game day promotions. We need to properly market our team and ballpark instead of attempting to get noticed like an attention starved stepchild.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2004, 11:51 AM
Just some thoughts....

It's an interesting idea...one that some fans at WSI brought up as soon as news broke that Ron ('he's not a people person') Gallas took a hike. He'd certainly be a better choice then good ole Uncle Jerry's son! (The newspaper columnists would have a field day if that happened and rightly so!)

There are some issues and baggage however.

First off Mike was the architect for 'Disco Demolition,' something that good ole Uncle Jerry certainly remembers. Mike's ties with his late dad run counter to the Sox philosophy of being a 'fan friendly (yea right...), family orientated' atmosphere. Remember Mike was around when Comiskey Park was considered by Bill Veeck to be 'the world's largest outdoor saloon...' I just think good ole Uncle Jerry doesn't care much for him.

On the Veeck side you wonder how much resentment still remains over good ole Uncle Jerry's partner in crime, fast Eddie Einhorn's remarks on the day they bought the club in January 1981. It went along the lines of 'we're going to start running a first class organization.' Einhorn said this with Veeck right next to him. Bill and his family were deeply offended and despite future apologizes by Einhorn and attempts at a reconciliation, they were rebuffed. Bill Veeck appeared in Comiskey only one time in his remaining years and that was for the 83 All Star Game. I can't speak for Mary Francis (Bill's wife) and time they say, heals all wounds, but in this case I just don't know.

So in a nutshell it might be good idea but I'd say the odds are 10-1 against it happening.

Lip

tebman
04-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
My problem with Veeck is that his "wacky" ideas seem just like an extension of Gallas' game day promotions. We need to properly market our team and ballpark instead of attempting to get noticed like an attention starved stepchild.

That's true -- that's why I think Veeck would serve the Sox well
on a consultant basis for promotions, while the "official" PR
department worked on marketing strategies and long-term
fan development.

- tebman

joecrede
04-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Mike Veeck's style of marketing is very close to Gallas'. This team needs an image makeover.

They need to:

1.) Stop blaming the fans.
2.) Shed themselves of the "woe is me" (Cubs town) attitude.
3.) Re-double or triple their efforts at selling season ticket packages.
4.) re-connect with their fan base.

Start in Bridgeport and work their way out. Gallas strategy since the park opened has been to market to the suburbs it seemed like almost at the expense of the neighborhood. There's nothing wrong with suburbanites, but there are so many variables involved in getting them to U.S. Cellular Field on a day-to-day basis that it makes it a real difficult task.

With the upper deck renovation they have plenty affordable tickets that are good seats and would appeal to the families that live around the park. Offer special discounts to those people if you have to before offering it to some schmuck who walks up day-of-game holding a Pepsi can. (I can say schmuck because I've done it. :D: )

In short, make these people feel a part of the White Sox family, such as it is, thus bringing back Bridgeport's pride in the team.

First Bridgeport then the world.

habibharu
04-22-2004, 01:19 PM
i believe that reiny is gonna hire a minority. not only because he is the chairman of the minority hiring committee, or whatever it is called, but i also beleive that he wants to market to the hispanic and black communities which are so prevalent around Sox Park

nlentz88
04-22-2004, 01:59 PM
I loved Couch's article today, and I enjoy most of his work with the Sun Times. He was the only writer in town extensively covering the Tribune ticket scalping controversy, and his views on the issues involved were unbiased and truthful.

I think Couch is onto something here as well. Of course there's pretty much no chance it would happen. The Chairman and his board of investors have done much to distance themselves from the Veeck era. The organization looks back on Veeck's Disco Demolition Night and shudders. However, I think everyone on this message board agrees that the Sox need to do something to shake things up for the team, its image, and game attendance. In my opinion the Sox can't be content with the status quo. JR and company may be happy with the profits they are making off of the modest investments they have made in the Sox, but most fans don't care about the owners' bank accounts. Fans want wins, respect, and a good time at the ballpark. If we on this board are actually attending games, then we're probably having a good time at the ballpark. However, the wins and the respect are what is lacking from the Sox experience today. Hiring Mike Veeck as a PR/Marketing exec would go a long way towards winning back respect for the Sox.

I know, most of you probably think I'm nuts for equating Mike Veeck and respect. MLB has blackballed him and his family. However, that's just the opinions of the suits owning the clubs and running MLB. Many fans (and not just from Chicago) remember the Veeck era as a time of crazy stunts, good times, and magic. Say what you will about the Veeck family, they certainly brought fans to the park. Not only that, but they got the Sox noticed. It seems that lately the only national press the Sox ever get is when an idiot runs onto the field and attacks someone. Wouldn't it be nice to get national press coverage because of something else, such as a wacky promotion? Furthermore, Mike Veck knows Chicago. He knows the Sox, the Cubs, their historic rivalry, and the current state of Chicago's baseball community. Here's what Veeck had to say about in Couch's article, "It's cool to be a Cubs fan now, but White Sox fans are still some of the best in the world. And it's always an advantage to be David to someone else's Goliath. You never heard anybody in the coliseum going, 'Come on, Goliath, crunch that little bum.' The Cubs are in one of those zones where they can do no wrong. So you position yourself against them and have some fun with it. It's all there waiting to be nurtured and then harvested.'' Where Jerry and Gallas gave up in the fight with the Cubs to win the hearts of Chicago's baseball populace, it sounds like Veeck would actually be excited about the challenge. He would use the situation to his advantage. I love his idea about Scalpers Night at the Cell! It would stick it to the Cubs. And I think that's what Veeck would do if he was given the opportunity to serve as the Sox' marketing dude. He'd give the Sox an edgier, wilder, more in-your-face attitude. I'm sorry, but Gallas' "fan-friendly, family fun" philosophy has failed to fill seats. That philosophy works for other organizations, but for some reason it doesn't seem to work for the Sox... or at least at the level they need it to in order to reach their attendance goals. So why not change the Sox' image? Why not be the "bad boys" of Chicago? Why not be the crazy side-show in town where you can see great baseball as well as enjoy all the odd ammenities Veeck would bring? I wasn't old enough to remember Disco Demolition Night when it happened, but I can understand why it upset many fans; the Sox had to forfeit, the field was damaged, and it gave the organization a black eye. However, I can also imagine the excitement and the chaos that must have accompanied the incident. The park must have been infused with energy, life, and youth. It was an unfortunate incident, but at least it was entertaining, ambitious, and unconventional. I think the Sox could do a lot if they took an unconventional approach to the team's image. They obviously should be reaching out to the community around them. They need to reach out to the Latino community, the Irish community, and the immigrant community. They need an identity, and courting these ethnic communities would help. But even more so, hiring Veeck would alter the Sox's identity. Yeah, the ballpark would be crazier and there would be plenty of people in the baseball community who would criticize every move he would make, but Veeck could be the cure for many of the organization's ills. Instead of being known for empty seats, fans attacking umpires, and players complaining about salaries, the Sox would be known for its crazy promotions, adult-targeted entertainment, and wild atmosphere. It would dramatically change the direction of the club. It wouldn't necessarily have any impact on wins, but it would bring respect back to the organization and its fans. The national and local baseball community would envy the bold direction of the organization and come to 35th and Shields just to see the show. And who knows? If attendance does increase, perhaps the powers that be would decide that it warranted an increase in total salary for the ball club.

This all just speculation and wishful thinking on my part, and I know the Sox won't ever hire Mike Veeck. I just love my team so much that I want it to improve itself, even if it means a radical change of direction for the organization. I'm sick and tired of being treated as a second class citizen in this town because of my allegiance to the Sox. Something needs to be changed, and I for one wonder if a rethinking of the organization's philosophy and marketing strategy would cure many of the team's ills and bring an ounce of respect back to the Pale Hose fanbase.

DrummerGeorgefan
04-22-2004, 02:02 PM
[i] but i also beleive that he wants to market to the hispanic and black communities which are so prevalent around Sox Park [/B]

JR really missed his opportunity with the whole gangsta rap craze....free marketing on MTV

tebman
04-22-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by nlentz88
...This is all just speculation and wishful thinking on my part, and I know the Sox won't ever hire Mike Veeck. I just love my team so much that I want it to improve itself, even if it means a radical change of direction for the organization. I'm sick and tired of being treated as a second class citizen in this town because of my allegiance to the Sox. Something needs to be changed, and I for one wonder if a rethinking of the organization's philosophy and marketing strategy would cure many of the team's ills and bring an ounce of respect back to the Pale Hose fanbase.

Well put! I think Mike Veeck got a bum rap on Disco Demolition.
That stunt was one out of many promotions the Sox did in that
era (Urban Cowboy night, the breakfast game, etc.), and nobody
(including Steve Dahl, who was the featured WLUP personality
who staged the event) expected a crowd that size to show up.
Yeah, it got way out of hand, but so did the Yankee/Red Sox brawl
last season.

Nlentz88 is right -- what's missing is imagination and a sense of
fun, and that's what Veeck could provide. But the Sox also need
a long-term strategy like what was described in earlier posts
(Irish, Hispanic, IIT Students, aggressive restaurant tie-ins, etc.).
Veeck can be the Idea Man for game promotions, and the Official
PR Department can take care of marketing. The Sox need a lot
of both.

...oh, and a winning team, too. :D:

- tebman

ewokpelts
04-22-2004, 02:28 PM
The Cubs already havea marketing guy: John McDonough (Who happens to be related my girlfriend's family.) The Cubs have had a fair share of Big Ideas(Beanie Babies, American Girl promos). The dont need Gallas and his small ball promos.....Sides, they're gunna get 3 mil this year...McDonough dosent even need to work this year.
As for who the Sopx should Hire...I nominate ......myself. Yeah, I dont have the qualifications, but did Gallas? If hired, I gurantee 2 million fans, even if I have to sleep with them all.
Gene

sas1974
04-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but the one promotion that the cubs have that I really like is that jersey giveaway. They have scratch off tickets and they give away 100 autographed Mitchell & Ness throwback jerseys. I think they did the same thing last year w/ baseballs.

woodenleg
04-22-2004, 02:56 PM
There's no way the Cubs would hire him, and I don't think he'd enjoy the job anyway? Did you see the jabs Veeck made at the Cubs in that article? "Scalpers Night"? A-ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...

He said that he has never been to Wrigley Field.

Cubbiesuck13
04-22-2004, 10:13 PM
hiring veeck would be the best thing pr wise for the sox. it would reverse some negative energy from old fans who wont come to the new park for different reasons. it would be an extension on the hiring ozzie pr. the great, wacky ideas that veeck would bring to the table would be just great for the fans as well. but with all that positive energy, i say it won't happen. although they did hire the Oz, something that I thought would be great when he was still playing but never thought it would happen.