PDA

View Full Version : Garland's first outing

Jurr
04-22-2004, 07:31 AM
Garland's first outing, when Ozzie allowed him to stay in the game and work his way out of trouble, may be the turning point of his career. He has the physical tools, but he's always been a mental case. Mark it down that Ozzie's confidence is going to spawn great things from this kid. The Sox rotation is really starting to take shape, and if we can find a reliable fifth starter, we could go deep into the playoffs.

starboy0
04-22-2004, 07:56 AM
I agree. Garland looked good again last night and maybe it is because he's not obsessing that he'll get the hook if he gives up a hit.

If Scho can have another good outing tonight it will be huge in establishing that this rotation (at least 4 of the starters) can get it done. And actually Wright has kept us withing distance of winning but you know middle relief will have to come in for him.

I've seen the Sox pound Mussina before (last home game last year) so hopefully the bats will be crackin.

voodoochile
04-22-2004, 08:16 AM
For me the good thing to see was the 4th inning when after getting Jeter he gave up a walk to ARod and started to obsess about him. He threw over their a bunch of time sandwiched around a couple of bad balls to the Giambi. Then Olivo comes out, gets him focused and he got Giambi to pop out. Then after walking Sheffield, Garland struck out Posada.

Last year that would have been a 4-run inning, IMO. He really is putting it together and is working lower in the zone consistently and relying more on his hard stuff which at 95-MPH is plenty hard.

All I can say is Thank You KW for firing Nardi. That man was clearly a major part of the problem.

jeremyb1
04-22-2004, 11:07 AM
Sorry I think that's ridiculous. Who says Garland has been a mental case? That seems completely unsubstantiated to me. Just because he was 20 years old and wasn't a superstar right away? Most pitchers take some time to be successful at the big league level. I don't think it necessarily speaks to a lack of mental prowess.

Garland pitched well a number of times last season, was that because he briefly got over his insanity? While we're on the subject, I relize this isn't exactly the point, but Garland's first start of the season was about as poor as you can pitch while giving up only one run. He was consistently behind in the count and walked four guys in one inning and 6 or 7 in the game. Furthermore, I think he pitches much better in his second game if Ozzie doesn't leave him in for 120 pitches in a 9 run game. He became ineffective after 70 pitches against KC.