PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Are Better Team Than White Sox

johnny bench
04-22-2004, 04:45 AM
I can't understand all the moaning about how "geez our offense stinks, we should win games when we give up only three runs", or "Buerhle stinks, he gave up seven runs" against the Yankees.

It doesn't square with all the other moaning about "if only we had an owner that would open his wallet, the White Sox would be a better team."

Well the New Tork Yankees have an owner who has spent 2x or 3x what our owner has on payroll this year. The result is that they have better players than we do, by far, except for Magglio and it doesn't take a lot of imagination to guess where he'll get his next $100MM salary from. (Hint: Not Uncle Jerry)

Buerhle is this year what he has always been. He's fine and well worth the money. Our offense is OK too.

And our team will continue to play well when we get back to competing aginst kids our own size.

voodoochile
04-22-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by johnny bench
I can't understand all the moaning about how "geez our offense stinks, we should win games when we give up only three runs", or "Buerhle stinks, he gave up seven runs" against the Yankees.

It doesn't square with all the other moaning about "if only we had an owner that would open his wallet, the White Sox would be a better team."

Well the New Tork Yankees have an owner who has spent 2x or 3x what our owner has on payroll this year. The result is that they have better players than we do, by far, except for Magglio and it doesn't take a lot of imagination to guess where he'll get his next $100MM salary from. (Hint: Not Uncle Jerry)

Buerhle is this year what he has always been. He's fine and well worth the money. Our offense is OK too.

And our team will continue to play well when we get back to competing aginst kids our own size.

So what happens if our midget sized Sox actually make the playoffs where there aren't any other midgets?

anewman35
04-22-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
So what happens if our midget sized Sox actually make the playoffs where there aren't any other midgets?

We hope that we're hot at the time and the other team isn't. Just because they're better than us doesn't mean that it's impossible for us to beat them, it just means it won't be easy.

ChiSoxBobette
04-22-2004, 10:18 AM

You don't know what you're talking about. What happened to the spankees in NY a couple of weeks ago we split the series If we take tonights game its still a wash as far as I'm concerned. Also the spankees have thier starting team in there who know what would have happened these last couple of games if we had a healthy Frank Thomas and Jose Valentin. As far as Maggs still being in Chitown I think he will.

LASOXFAN
04-22-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

The Yankees were also a better team than the Florida Marlins last year. That don't mean you win it every time.

SpringfldFan
04-22-2004, 12:21 PM
I don't understand the disagreement with what the original poster said. He simply stated that the Yankees have more talent and therefore we shouldn't be so quick to jump on the Sox and assume they are underachieving when they lose a game or two to them. He isn't conceding anything, and I don't see where he says the Yanks are a lock. He just stating the harsh reality that the Yankees have more talent and pointing out the hypocrisy of assuming that when the Sox lose to them that it is purely by their own underachievement.

Realist
04-22-2004, 12:30 PM
That rain soaked game 1 of this series easily could have gone either way.

Jon Garland has blossomed into a great pitcher.

Javier Vasquez has more talent than anybody in baseball. He looks like Pedro when Pedro was Pedro.

The "better team" stuff will be determined by the 2004 playoffs.

davenicholson
04-22-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Realist
. He looks like Pedro when Pedro was Pedro.
I have nothing to add, but I love this line!

StepsInSC
04-22-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Realist
Jon Garland has blossomed into a great pitcher.

He's pitching great, yes, but I'm not sure I would go THAT far...

Realist
04-22-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
He's pitching great, yes, but I'm not sure I would go THAT far...

It's just a hunch. :smile:

minastirith67
04-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
The Yankees were also a better team than the Florida Marlins last year. That don't mean you win it every time.

If they were a better team, then why didn't they win the World Series? The team who wins the World Series is the best team in baseball for that season, period. You could say that NY had the most talent, which you might have a case for. But their inability to beat the Marlins made them the 2nd best team in baseball, but certainly best in the AL in 2003.

wdelaney72
04-22-2004, 12:59 PM

YES!

jlh0023
04-22-2004, 01:45 PM

Thats a disgusting perspective. You can't expect to lose every game you play against a top team, and looking at 3 of our 4 losses, our team in general was playing winning ball against their team. We without a doubt could have and should have won at least 2 of those 3 games. When we hold the Yanks to 3 runs, we should be able to win. Also we need to win games to make it late in the season. Personally, I don't forsee a comeback like last year, because we don't have the pitching for it. We need to win these games so we don't fall behind in the Central. You can't look at it as just a loss to a better team. When the team is as borderline as they are for making the playoffs, every game counts, especially the tougher ones.

DSpivack
04-22-2004, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by minastirith67

If they were a better team, then why didn't they win the World Series? The team who wins the World Series is the best team in baseball for that season, period. You could say that NY had the most talent, which you might have a case for. But their inability to beat the Marlins made them the 2nd best team in baseball, but certainly best in the AL in 2003.

The best team in baseball is the one that wins the World Series. Period.