PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Lofton comments in the Cubune

mdep524
04-22-2004, 01:48 AM
You know, ever since he quit on the Sox half way through the '02 season, I've really come to hate Kenny Lofton. Now this from the Trib (in the Sox section):

Yankees' Lofton loved being a Cub (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040421soxbrite,1,1773241.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

"You have to understand, that over there, when you're a Cub, you're a Cub," he said before the Yankees began their three-game set with the White Sox. "A Cub for life actually. People remember what you did and that is part of you too."

Lofton played more than half the 2002 season with the White Sox, but the Cubs were something special for him.

"Playing in Chicago was so exciting. I live closer to " he paused, trying to remember the new name of the Sox's park, then laughed "U.S. Cellular, so I was around there a little more."

Pardon my French, but what a jacka**.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-22-2004, 02:00 AM
It was still comiskey park when he played for us. I'm pretty suprised that he actually knew that it is now u.s. cellular field.

edit: didn't realize that he lived near the cell. i'm dumb :(

depy48
04-22-2004, 02:00 AM
people remember what you did?

is he impying cubs fans will actually remember that he played for them in a year...oh-o he better get in touch with reality. Cubs fans cant remember who the third baseman was before Aramis Ramirez

ChiSox14305635
04-22-2004, 02:18 AM
Perhaps he "forgot" how KW sent him to a playoff contender in 2002 for yet another shot at a World Series. Jerk.

Vsahajpal
04-22-2004, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by depy48
people remember what you did?

is he impying cubs fans will actually remember that he played for them in a year...oh-o he better get in touch with reality. Cubs fans cant remember who the third baseman was before Aramis Ramirez

Who could forget the triumverate of Lenny "Satan" Harris, Mark Bellhorn, and Jose the K Hernandez?

WhiteSox = Life
04-22-2004, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Who could forget the triumverate of Lenny "Satan" Harris, Mark Bellhorn, and Jose the K Hernandez?

Who would want to remember?

white sox bill
04-22-2004, 07:36 AM
IIRC lofton was from MW Indiana? Or was it the south side? I say addios loser, hope you and your Yankmees finish in 3rd this yr

hsnterprize
04-22-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by white sox bill
IIRC lofton was from MW Indiana? Or was it the south side? I say addios loser, hope you and your Yankmees finish in 3rd this yr Lofton is from East Chicago, Indiana. The way I see it...if Lofton's a Cub fan, so be it. He expressed some cheer for playing near his hometown when he wore the Sox uniform, but remember how giddy he was when the Cubs got him.

Let him go. It's not a sin to be a Cubs fan since childhood...at least he PLAYS baseball and knows about the game. I watched the Cubs when I came home from school when I was a kid. Fortunately, I wasn't infected with the "Cubbie-Blue flu" for too long.

sas1974
04-22-2004, 09:10 AM
He's playing on the most historic franchise in all of sports and he's yapping about how great it was to be a cub? What a moron.

Hokiesox
04-22-2004, 09:34 AM
I'd be impressed if the majority of cubs fans even knew who played 1-2 years ago. It's tough to know who plays for your team when you don't watch the game...

Jerko
04-22-2004, 09:36 AM
Funny how the Yankees have been playing better since he's gone on the DL.

FormerKnight
04-22-2004, 09:42 AM
sas:

i am not a big lofton fan either, but to your comment, i doubt lofton was sitting in the dugout just talking about the cubs and how much he loved the cubs, i am sure a reporter asked him a question about last year and he answered it, give the guy a break.

sas1974
04-22-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by FormerKnight
sas:

i am not a big lofton fan either, but to your comment, i doubt lofton was sitting in the dugout just talking about the cubs and how much he loved the cubs, i am sure a reporter asked him a question about last year and he answered it, give the guy a break.

I actually have nothing against Lofton and I am sure he wasn't just sitting there rambling on about being a cub while someone snuck up behind him and recorded it. I realize that he was being asked questions and he was answering them.

But don't give me all of this "When you're a Cub. You're a Cub for life." crap. He played 56 games in a cub uniform. He played in Cleveland for almost a decade.

Palehose13
04-22-2004, 10:14 AM
He grew up a cub fan. That was known when he signed with us. I really can't fault him for it. Imagine if you got to play 56 games with the white sox the same year they were 5 outs away from going to the world series...it would probably be special to you too.

sas1974
04-22-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Palehose13
He grew up a cub fan. That was known when he signed with us. I really can't fault him for it. Imagine if you got to play 56 games with the white sox the same year they were 5 outs away from going to the world series...it would probably be special to you too.

I would be happy about just sitting on the bench for one game, let alone playing 56. I understand that it's special for him to play for the team he liked while he was growing up. It's just the bitter Sox fan in my coming out I guess. I have a genuine dislike for all the mushy, gushy cubbie love.

Palehose13
04-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
I would be happy about just sitting on the bench for one game, let alone playing 56. I understand that it's special for him to play for the team he liked while he was growing up. It's just the bitter Sox fan in my coming out I guess. I have a genuine dislike for all the mushy, gushy cubbie love.

I completely understand.

Hangar18
04-22-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
He's playing on the most historic franchise in all of sports and he's yapping about how great it was to be a cub? What a moron.

NO kidding. hes not too bright is he? Funny, a Yankee fan tried to tell me that also JUST LAST NITE, that the Cubs are a Historically Significant Franchise, selling out their games since the 1950's.
This is what happens when you let the MEDIA start to Retro-Legendize a team. I explained to the Yankee Fan that he should Re-examine his Standards, seeing the Yanks have 26 World Championships, and the Cubs havent had 2 winning seasons in a row since 1972. Amazingly.........................
he thought about that, and with a look on his face reminiscent of a guy who just realized he got Conned, said "Your Right"

jackbrohamer
04-22-2004, 10:44 AM
99.99% of Flub fans have already forgotten Lofton ever played for the team

Hangar18
04-22-2004, 12:01 PM
How much anyone want to BET that Mike Kiley took Kenny Lofton aside, and gave him the Speech, telling him how "lucky" he was to be a 'cub'.

Brian26
04-22-2004, 12:36 PM
I'll always despise Lofton for how he completely put it into "shut down mode" in 2002 as soon as the rest of the team started struggling. The guy wasn't running out groundballs....just completely looked like he wasn't trying at all.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2004, 12:54 PM
Was it a 'shut down mode,' or was it a bad hamstring? I seem to recall him getting off to a terriffic start in April / May, then he hurt his hammy and the team went right in the tank. (Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself since Jose' and Frank are still out. Gotta love playing on Astro Turf!)

Lip

wdelaney72
04-22-2004, 02:18 PM
Kenny started off great and went right down the tank - injury or not.

The Yankees and Cubs can both have him. We tried and it didn't work out.

How many World Series rings does he have? Zero, I think.

Rocklive99
04-22-2004, 09:30 PM
It's funny when I go into a baseball chat, every Yankee fan I talk to hates Lofton, said it was a horrible signing and a definite mistake (before the injury). I bet he's just talking about how he liked the Cubs to show how he doesn't like his current situation, where Torree bats him 9th when he's in the lineup

Brian26
04-22-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Rocklive99
I bet he's just talking about how he liked the Cubs to show how he doesn't like his current situation, where Torree bats him 9th when he's in the lineup

Batting 9th actually wouldn't be bad for a guy like Lofton...sort of like the Rudy Law-Julio Cruz combination. The 9th spot was basically like a 2nd leadoff hitter.

ode to veeck
04-22-2004, 09:50 PM
99.99% of Flub fans have already forgotten Lofton ever played for the team

and 97% never realized he was on the team when he was there

duke of dorwood
04-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by mdep524
You know, ever since he quit on the Sox half way through the '02 season, I've really come to hate Kenny Lofton. Now this from the Trib (in the Sox section):

Yankees' Lofton loved being a Cub (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040421soxbrite,1,1773241.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Pardon my French, but what a jacka**.

He's an ass. The kind of clown that will ineffectively try to play until he's 45.

greenpeach
04-23-2004, 12:31 AM
Kenny Lofton is a clubhouse cancer. He drove the ultimate players' manager, Bobby Cox, to the brink of insanity during his lone season with the Braves.