PDA

View Full Version : Do you want to shoot yourself while listening to DJ...

Win1ForMe
04-22-2004, 12:09 AM
...during Sox losses? I can't put my finger on it as of yet, but, for whatever reason, my initial anger in reaction to the Sox losing is always greatly increased after DJ treats us to some of his commentary.

I'd be extremely happy if someone who feels the same way could verbalize this for me.

batmanZoSo
04-22-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
...during Sox losses? I can't put my finger on it as of yet, but, for whatever reason, my initial anger in reaction to the Sox losing is always greatly increased after DJ treats us to some of his commentary.

I'd be extremely happy if someone who feels the same way could verbalize this for me.

I don't agree. I think he's a really good guy and would be a pretty decent color man if he wasn't with Hawk. I really get the sense that Hawk doesn't respect him at all. For what reason I don't know. Whenever DJ makes a point or an observation Hawk rarely acknowledges or agrees with it.

FoulkeFan
04-22-2004, 09:03 AM
I can't stand DJ. He's better than he was at first, but that's not saying much. What really drives me crazy about him is that he always makes lame excuses when the team is playing poorly. Or let's say, the opposing team has the bases loaded, nobody out and their best hitter up, he'll say "Well all we need here is a strikeout and a double-play!".

Palehose13
04-22-2004, 09:16 AM

I wish I could have listened to DJ the past few nights...I have been stuck with the "YES" men Yankee announcers. BLACH!

Win1ForMe
04-22-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I don't agree. I think he's a really good guy and would be a pretty decent color man if he wasn't with Hawk. I really get the sense that Hawk doesn't respect him at all. For what reason I don't know. Whenever DJ makes a point or an observation Hawk rarely acknowledges or agrees with it.

It's not that I think DJ is a poor announcer in terms of providing insight or whatever, my problem is more with his delivery. With Hawk, you can always hear that audible cringe whenever something bad happens. At least you know he shares your anger.

DJ, on the other hand, just seems way too happy all the time. To compound it, he then treats us to a barrage of "hangwith'em, hangwith'em, hangwith'em" at which point I'm getting ready to take the gun out.

Part of it is obviously my fault for taking each game so seriously, but hey, it's too late for that to change.

:)

Bobby Thigpen
04-22-2004, 09:40 AM
DJ always seems to be much better when he does Sox games on Fox on Saturday when he is not with Hawk. He seems more relaxed and overall a much better announcer.

I like Hawk, and have grown to tolerate DJ, but I think that for whatever reason there is a serious tension sometimes between those two. I think the endless stream of the same phrases from DJ is a result of him just saying the same things so as to avoid a confrontation with Hawk. They fight MUCH less now than they did the first year, and I think they've resolved themselves to just living with each other. I think they've found a routine in which they can tolerate each other, and on some days may even like each other. But many that first year with both of them was pretty brutal listening to them.

Just my two cents

jackbrohamer
04-22-2004, 09:42 AM
I can't stand DJ either. Wimpy was a goofball but at least he had some chemistry with Harrelson. These guys have nothing, the long silences are brutal

Baby Fisk
04-22-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
I can't stand DJ either. Wimpy was a goofball but at least he had some chemistry with Harrelson. These guys have nothing, the long silences are brutal

I agree with jackbrohamer. Hawk will always be Hawk, with his long silences, explosive HR calls and anguished relays of opposing HRs. I've grown up with Hawk so I'm used to the idiocyncracies. I don't know the whole story behind Wimpy's departure, but he and Hawk had chemistry. Unlike DJ, Wimpy would at least interject with stupid jokes or oddball comments, then snicker to himself to fill Hawk's silences. It was weird but it worked.

DJ, in my opinion, sucks huge. Hawk is better when there's a clown next to him, to give him that air of gravitas he seems to want to project. DJ is not a clown, is in fact a boring automaton, and does nothing to complement Hawk. So instead of that ludicrous "Hawk Must Go" thread, I'm in favour of a "DJ Must Go" thread.

KingXerxes
04-22-2004, 10:17 AM
If you ever get a chance to hear DJ when Harrelson isn't doing the game you'll soon realize who is suffocating who. As a color commentator he's not bad - but he's paired up with another color commentator who does the "play-by-play". I agree it's a bad pairing - but don't be so quick to put 100% of the blame on Jackson.

RichFitztightly
04-22-2004, 11:14 AM
It's not that I think DJ is a poor announcer in terms of providing insight or whatever, my problem is more with his delivery. With Hawk, you can always hear that audible cringe whenever something bad happens. At least you know he shares your anger.
:)

I think the big thing with DJ's delivery is that he says a lot of comments tentatively. It's almost as though he's dipping his toes into the pool cause he has no idea where Hawk's going to go with his comment, or worse Hawk might just let it hang there to die. It certainly has to be tough under those circumstances.

Fisk72
04-22-2004, 11:18 AM
Personally, I want to fall asleep whenever I listen to those guys. While they may have some good insights, they are too monotone. Almost like that chick from the tv show "Small Wonder." (There's everyone's random '80s show reference for the day! :) )

Brian26
04-22-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
If you ever get a chance to hear DJ when Harrelson isn't doing the game you'll soon realize who is suffocating who. As a color commentator he's not bad - but he's paired up with another color commentator who does the "play-by-play". I agree it's a bad pairing - but don't be so quick to put 100% of the blame on Jackson.

Interesting you should mention that...

I taped the ESPN Classic Sox/Yankees game yesterday. Because I didn't get home until late from the game last night, I didn't have a chance to catch the tape yet. I did watch the first batter just to make sure the show was taped. Drysdale was such a good play-by-play guy, and Harrelson really is much better suited to the color role. Can't wait to watch the rest of it. Seeing Oscar Gamble in the '85 Sox uni was bizarre.

soxnut
04-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Hawk and Wimpy were a classic apring to me. At first I didn't like DJ, but I'm used to him now, and he is good on Fox on saturday. And I like hawk's style, but the pairing does not work.

In a way Hawk is more of the straight man, and needs a goofball with him in the booth to egg him a little bit. I think DJ was, in his own way, trying that his first year, not being a goofball, but just trying to egg on Hawk a little. But, as you can see it didn't work.

I wonder what is going to happen to all of the broadcasting, now that Rob Gallas(who was VVP of Marketing....and Broadcasting) is gone and the Sox will be on the new Comcast network next year.

Is it possible that they could bring back Wimpy to team with Hawk, put DJ as the tv studio analyst and the have Bill Melton go on radio permanently with Dave Wills??

Lip Man 1
04-22-2004, 11:45 AM
I think Bill Melton should be the color man.

First off he's got a distinctive voice that you can hear because he 'projects' very well.

Secondly he doesn't seem to be afraid to speak his mind. I've heard him many times on the post game show talking about what is wrong with the team, there have even been a few times when the disgust in his voice came through loud and clear (for example when the Sox the past few seasons continually lost to no name, rookie pitchers)

Of course if he were to get the job that might change because of the restraints put on the actual announcers by management.

Still I think he'd be a better choice. DJ puts me to sleep.

personally to me the best Sox TV guys were Harry and Jimmy but as Brian said Don Drysdale and Hawk were a terriffic combo.

Lip

KingXerxes
04-22-2004, 12:14 PM
I agree that Melton should be given a shot as color man, but if you give him a try you still have to get a play-by-play guy. Hooking him up with either Harrelson or Jackson or (God forbid) both of them would only be re-creating the problem of having two or (God forbid) three color men in the booth.

:hawk

"Yessir...............really kept his elbow in there on that one."

:DJ

"Yep - look how he drives through the ball."

NEED A MELTON TAG (pretend his picture is here)

"Yeah..........he really drove his elbows through on that."

"Reminds me of somebody you used to play with........you know who I'm talking about?"

:DJ

"Who I used to play with or who Melton used to play with?"

"Yessir."

NEED A MELTON TAG (need to pretend again)

"Uhhhhhhhhhhh Stan Bahnsen?"

"Nope.........."

Meanwhile there is a game going on down on the field.

Brian26
04-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I think Bill Melton should be the color man. ...
Still I think he'd be a better choice. DJ puts me to sleep.

personally to me the best Sox TV guys were Harry and Jimmy but as Brian said Don Drysdale and Hawk were a terriffic combo.

Lip

Lip-

Not sure if you were in Chicago at the time, but in 1996 the Sox put Melton down in the Sox dugout camera well with a microphone and headphones and let him chime in on the radio broadcast every inning or so, sort of as a "roving reporter". After a big play, Rooney and Farmer would ask him how it looked on the field. I always thought that was a fantastic role for him and added a lot to the radio broadcast. I'm fairly certain that experiment only lasted one year though.

KingXerxes
04-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Lip-

Not sure if you were in Chicago at the time, but in 1996 the Sox put Melton down in the Sox dugout camera well with a microphone and headphones and let him chime in on the radio broadcast every inning or so, sort of as a "roving reporter". After a big play, Rooney and Farmer would ask him how it looked on the field. I always thought that was a fantastic role for him and added a lot to the radio broadcast. I'm fairly certain that experiment only lasted one year though.

I'm surprised you liked that Brian26. I used to think of it as a lousy way to use Melton because you were handicapping him by not providing what is sometimes vital visual feedback between the announcers. He always sounded kind of stilted to me in that role, which is too bad because I'll bet the guy could be pretty good as a color man. He looks uncomfortable in the studio making scripted presentations, he looks a lot more comfortable watching and commenting on the games as they go on.

jackbrohamer
04-22-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I think Bill Melton should be the color man.

First off he's got a distinctive voice that you can hear because he 'projects' very well.

Secondly he doesn't seem to be afraid to speak his mind. I've heard him many times on the post game show talking about what is wrong with the team, there have even been a few times when the disgust in his voice came through loud and clear (for example when the Sox the past few seasons continually lost to no name, rookie pitchers) Lip

He's also a really smart baseball guy, IMO. It is very refreshing to hear someone covering the Sox who's not a total Reinsdorf apologist.

Lizard
04-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Doesn't anyone listen to the radio? What about Dave Wills and Melton??

Petch
04-22-2004, 04:51 PM
Yes...I hate DJ. As much as I hate to admit it, the Sox could really benefit from a guy like Cubs broadcaster, Steve Stone. The man knows his baseball.

batmanZoSo
04-22-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by RichFitztightly
I think the big thing with DJ's delivery is that he says a lot of comments tentatively. It's almost as though he's dipping his toes into the pool cause he has no idea where Hawk's going to go with his comment, or worse Hawk might just let it hang there to die. It certainly has to be tough under those circumstances.

Exactly. Hawk's not an easy guy to work with if you're as laid back and nice as DJ. Tom Paciorek worked well because he was a goof. And I don't mean that in a bad way.

fire4725
04-22-2004, 06:02 PM
Yes...I hate DJ. As much as I hate to admit it, the Sox could really benefit from a guy like Cubs broadcaster, Steve Stone. The man knows his baseball.

Are you stupid? Steve Stone is the biggest moron on TV.

He likes to make fun of Ron Santo and harass him because he has no legs. Now i'm no cub fan, but that's BS.

Dramatic re-enactment of Steve Stone and Chip Carey play by play commentary:

Chip: Boy stoney, Ron's finally smiling for once.
Steve: Yeah, I don't like him either
Chip: Well I have my home in Florida with my beautiful children.
Steve: I think I'm gonna punch Santo in the face
Chip: SOSA belts that one foul!

batmanZoSo
04-22-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by fire4725
Are you stupid? Steve Stone is the biggest moron on TV.

He likes to make fun of Ron Santo and harass him because he has no legs. Now i'm no cub fan, but that's BS.

Dramatic re-enactment of Steve Stone and Chip Carey play by play commentary:

Chip: Boy stoney, Ron's finally smiling for once.
Steve: Yeah, I don't like him either
Chip: Well I have my home in Florida with my beautiful children.
Steve: I think I'm gonna punch Santo in the face
Chip: SOSA belts that one foul!

Lame.

OurBitchinMinny
04-22-2004, 06:25 PM

I dont get to see the sox too much living in minny, but Im not a huge fan of DJ. hes better than bert blylevyn on twinkie games, but he sucks. Bring back wimpy!

Palehose13
04-22-2004, 06:49 PM
better than bert blylevyn on twinkie games

Now that guy sucks the worst. "Circle me, JERK!"...hey, maybe that sign could be made for a Sox-twinkie game. :D:

Railsplitter
04-22-2004, 09:49 PM
At least Hawk has only DJ with him. Think of Joe Buck stuck with two dullards like Chris Collinsworth and Troy Aikman for Fox football games.

soxnut
04-23-2004, 12:08 AM
I like Bill Melton, but I get the feeling that he doesn't like to do a lot of traveling. So I don't think he'd even want the job as a full-time color guy for radio or tv. For now he gets to go to the studio or the park, and stay in Chicago for the summer.

red faber
04-25-2004, 05:29 AM

actually,i want to shoot d.j.!!!!!!!!

ASUSOXGRL
04-25-2004, 10:50 PM
i get especially pissed off when DJ chimes in "YES!" at the end of Hawk's, "YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD!"........it ruins the whole thing for me.

VA_GoGoSox
04-25-2004, 11:45 PM
i get especially pissed off when DJ chimes in "YES!" at the end of Hawk's, "YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD!"........it ruins the whole thing for me.

This drives me nuts too. I know its a small thing, but it really irritates the heck out of me. Hawk has such a great home run call, and DJ has to go and ruin it every time. JUST SIT THERE AND SHUT UP FOR FIVE SECONDS, DJ.

Jeremy
04-26-2004, 01:20 AM

I know where you are coming from. I love Hawk and DJ, almost as much as Hawk loves cotten candy. But I think it has something to do with those two and how much they care about the Sox and how much they are pulling for the win. After the Sox start losing they are depressing to listen to because you can hear in their voices that they are bummed out.

Jeremy
04-26-2004, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

That was the case the first couple years. They were really rocky towards each other. But this year they are agreeing on everything and seem like they are the best of friends.

batmanZoSo
04-26-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Jeremy
That was the case the first couple years. They were really rocky towards each other. But this year they are agreeing on everything and seem like they are the best of friends.

Wait til they have a losing streak.

Jeremy
04-26-2004, 01:30 AM
I think it would be really interesting if Steve Stone was Hawk's color man. Stoney is really funny... he's probably the only thing I like about the Cubs. Chip Caray, on the other hand, is a puppet.