PDA

View Full Version : The offense does not run without Thomas

MRKARNO
04-21-2004, 11:53 PM
Why did we show the sorry performance that we did tonight? It's a simple as not having Thomas in the lineup. Thomas affects the way that pitchers pitch to hitters before him in the lineup and he gets on base so much that of course it affects the way they pitch to hitters afterwards. Imagine what would have happened had we Thomas in the lineup and been able to get the tying runner at home plate more than once in those last 3-4 innings of play?

Jjav829
04-22-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Why did we show the sorry performance that we did tonight? It's a simple as not having Thomas in the lineup. Thomas affects the way that pitchers pitch to hitters before him in the lineup and he gets on base so much that of course it affects the way they pitch to hitters afterwards. Imagine what would have happened had we Thomas in the lineup and been able to get the tying runner at home plate more than once in those last 3-4 innings of play?

Ok, let me imagine. Probably a pop-up, or a strikeout. It's Javier Vazquez people! Why must we always find something or someone to blame. Vazquez shut our offense down at New York with Thomas in the lineup. We scored 8 runs yesterday without Thomas. Put 2 and 2 together. There is no reason to believe that having Thomas in the lineup would have won this game for us. Anything short of Barry Lamar and we probably still lose.

SEALgep
04-22-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Ok, let me imagine. Probably a pop-up, or a strikeout. It's Javier Vazquez people! Why must we always find something or someone to blame. Vazquez shut our offense down at New York with Thomas in the lineup. We scored 8 runs yesterday without Thomas. Put 2 and 2 together. There is no reason to believe that having Thomas in the lineup would have won this game for us. Anything short of Barry Lamar and we probably still lose. We lost to the exact same score as last time we faced them with Frank in the lineup. I do want Frank back though. Gload has proven to be a pretty good hitter though.

CHISOXFAN13
04-22-2004, 12:06 AM

Offense looked awfully good without him yesterday. It's time to tip our caps to others who play/pitch well against us.

Vazquez was dominant again.

mdep524
04-22-2004, 12:10 AM

I don't think its "as simple" as not having Hurt in the lineup, but I think he helps for one big reason: he can get on base via the walk. When the Sox are hitting its no big deal, but when they're not, they don't get ANYBODY on base because no one on the team can work/earn a walk consistently except for Frank.

soxnut
04-22-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by mdep524
I don't think its "as simple" as not having Hurt in the lineup, but I think he helps for one big reason: he can get on base via the walk. When the Sox are hitting its no big deal, but when they're not, they don't get ANYBODY on base because no one on the team can work/earn a walk consistently except for Frank.

If there's anything that I will remember about Frank after he retires, is how he can work a walk. I've watched him since he came up and I appreciate him more and more every time he does that.

stillz
04-22-2004, 12:48 AM
He gets on base more than anybody in the lineup! I know we were facing a dominant pitcher, but c'mon. Thomas completely changes the tenor of the offense. I'll be glad when he's back.

jabrch
04-22-2004, 01:00 AM
I miss Frank. We are better with him in the lineup than without him. HOWEVER - We got beat by a pitcher who was on his game and was almost unhitable. Could Frank maybe have made a difference? Sure - it is possible. But credit goes to Vazquez for pitching a great game. That's all.

SoxxoS
04-22-2004, 01:12 AM
Gload had an OBP of .500 this game, last I checked.

It's Vazquez, not Thomas.

jabrch
04-22-2004, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Gload had an OBP of .500 this game, last I checked.

It's Vazquez, not Thomas.

That's a good point - nice catch. Reality is that everyone hits better with the threat of Hurt in the lineup. But tonight that wasn't why we lost.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-22-2004, 03:49 AM
thomas is a backbone, like the "keel" or whatever of a ship. he might not have the best batting average but his ability to fight a pitcher (his 18 pitch at bat, anyone) or his ability to draw a walk; is key. his pressence is enough to shake pitchers, he is a legend in his own time. I hope he sticks aroung for a few more years and remains a productive part of this lineup

doublem23
04-22-2004, 04:51 AM
They scored 8 runs Tuesday and just ran into Vazquez again.

MRKARNO
04-22-2004, 10:58 AM
But maybe if Thomas was able to to take an extra 10 or so pitches, it changes the whole complexion of the game. Maybe we get a walk out of it. Maybe we face Gordon instead of Vazquez in the 8th.