PDA

View Full Version : Garland

Lip Man 1
04-21-2004, 11:05 PM
I don't think this was mentioned yet but did anyone notice that once again, Garland gave up big hits when he had two strikes on a hitter?

A-Rod lined one out on an 0-2 count...Posada crushed one out on a 2-2 count.

That kind of stuff makes managers lose their hair. (along with the fans...)

Don't know if Garland will ever 'get it...'

Lip

JohnBasedowYoda
04-21-2004, 11:10 PM
garland played a beauty of a game, struck out some of the best hitters in the game. You can't be perfect man, that's why the home team bats at the bottom of every inning. The offense just wasn't there. Should have been a Big Jon winner

voodoochile
04-21-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I don't think this was mentioned yet but did anyone notice that once again, Garland gave up big hits when he had two strikes on a hitter?

Lip

I think that is extreme. That is going to happen to any pitcher. Tonight Garland had great stuff and pitched well, but made 2 mistakes that cost him, and then there's that little issue called the Yankee lineup. He was also up against a stud pitcher (a giuy who would be #1 on the Sox no question) and the Sox were without two of their starters.

There comes a time when annecdotal evidence just doesn't tell the whole story. Tonight the Sox would have needed Javier Vasquez on the mound to win. Garland is turning into a fine #3 starter and may end up turning into an ace if he continues to improve.

Get over it Lip...

:threadsucks

CHISOXFAN13
04-21-2004, 11:13 PM

Lip

If the Sox win the World Series in four, you'd still find something wrong with how they did it.

Guy gave up three runs and had his team in the game throughout. Give the opposing hitters some credit.

nodiggity59
04-21-2004, 11:18 PM

Lip

Lip, Garland doesn't have an 'out' pitch. Hitters know this. Even w/ 2 strikes, they can exploit this weakness.

A.T. Money
04-21-2004, 11:19 PM
Lip Man 1 thinks Garland is to blame. How funny. I wonder if he saw the game!

Right before the Posada homer, I was thinking to myself, "Don't forget about who is hitting." (Garland made a couple pickoff moves to first before that)

Other than that, you can't blame Garland. He pitched his ass off. Blame the Sox offense who couldn't really do anything against Vasquez.

chisox06
04-21-2004, 11:24 PM

Lip

Thats ridiculous. This was the best outing by Garland by far this year. 3 runs through 7 against the Yankees, I'll take that any day from any starter. The lack of offense is why the sox lost, not because of Garland's stuff. If Garland holds the Yankees to 3 runs and he still doesn't "get it" then when he does he'll be an all star.

BoSoxGirl75
04-21-2004, 11:45 PM
Looking at Garland's pitching line I would say he had a good game. I have him on my fantasy team and I'm very pleased with how he did against the Yankees. Although the Yankees bats haven't been hot this season it is still a good thing when a #3 starting pitcher only gives up 3 runs. I like Garland and I think he has a lot of potential. I look forward to him doing well, since he is on my fantasy team. :D: I just hope he doesn't do well against my Red Sox thats all. :smile:

DrummerGeorgefan
04-21-2004, 11:59 PM
Jon seemed to be hitting his spots and really working well. Also, A-Rod just pure flipped that ball out with 2 strikes. Watching his reaction, he thought it was foul. He was swinging to stay alive, showing that Jon made a good pitch

ma_deuce
04-22-2004, 12:04 AM
I gotta agree with everyone else. garland was not to blame for today's loss. The bats just weren't there when we needed them.

Deuce

Jjav829
04-22-2004, 12:06 AM
Garland pitched well. He made 2 bad pitches to two good hitters. The offense couldn't hit Vazquez the second time around either.

Having two strikes on a hitter doesn't mean you're gonna get them out or even stop them from hitting a home run.

jlh0023
04-22-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Garland pitched well. He made 2 bad pitches to two good hitters. The offense couldn't hit Vazquez the second time around either.

Having two strikes on a hitter doesn't mean you're gonna get them out or even stop them from hitting a home run.

Overall I think it should be recognized that Garland pitched a beauty. He was up against the Yankee lineup and Vazquez and he did very well. However, with 0-2 on A-Rod the obvious move is to throw one away, and try to get him to swing at a bad pitch. You don't throw A-Rod a pitch to hit in that situation, you have plenty of balls to spare. I think Garland wanted to get the K, to strike out the side, so he went after A-Rod with 0-2, without going down in the count....bad move. It should have been a call from the dugout to throw it away. Overall, I wouldn't mind seeing that performance on a normal basis.

jabrch
04-22-2004, 01:11 AM

Lip

Some people say the glass is half empty. Some say it is half full. Lip says the glass is a disaster, it is horrible - and it must be JRs fault.

:)

Garland had a great outing tonight. Credit him for that. The A-Rod homer barely made it out and was not a smash by any stretch of the imagination. Nobody thought it would be gone when it was first hit. Posada is dangerous - he got all of that one. Had we put out our average offensive output tonight, Garland would have won that game.

SoxxoS
04-22-2004, 01:26 AM
Garland has an out pitch...it isn't a Kerry Wood or Roy Oswalt out pitch, but he can get guys out with his sinker...if he doesn't leave it up.

He has brain cramps on the mound, no doubt. It looks like that is what you are going to get from Jon. I'll take 3ER in 7 IP any day of the week from Garland. We need to be able to score more than 3 runs.

BTW...did anyone notice Garland's change had some nice movement on it today...anyone know if he has been working on it?

jeremyb1
04-22-2004, 01:37 AM

Lip

Jerry is that you?

batmanZoSo
04-22-2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Garland has an out pitch...it isn't a Kerry Wood or Roy Oswalt out pitch, but he can get guys out with his sinker...if he doesn't leave it up.

He has brain cramps on the mound, no doubt. It looks like that is what you are going to get from Jon. I'll take 3ER in 7 IP any day of the week from Garland. We need to be able to score more than 3 runs.

BTW...did anyone notice Garland's change had some nice movement on it today...anyone know if he has been working on it?

We will score more than 3 runs but not against a great pitcher most of the time. Vazquez was somewhat hittable today, I think they gave away a lot of at bats, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over getting beat by him. Game 1 was bullcrap..if we won it like we should have this game wouldn't mean nearly as much.

ShoelessFred
04-22-2004, 01:41 AM
i have to agree with LIP. giving up home runs on an 0-2 count is just utterly pathetic and shows a lack of killer instinct. garland has the physical tools to be a darn good pitcher. but what's between his ears is a different story. you cannot take certain pitches or batters "off" but he constantly does this.

SoxxoS
04-22-2004, 01:43 AM
I don't mind being near the plate on 0-2 when there is runners on..but when there is nobody on base...waste a damn pitch. That pitch should have never been thrown to AROD on 0-2.

SSN721
04-22-2004, 07:10 AM
I agree with most other people who posted on this. If this is how Garland pitches for all of his outings, I would be more then happy with it. More often than not, 3 runs is not a huge deal for this offense to beat. He made some bad pitches yes, but so did Vasquez, he just made a few less bad pitches. I was very pleased with Garlands performance last night.

hsnterprize
04-22-2004, 08:24 AM

Lip Lip...

I normally just read over your posts, but in this case, I have to stand up.

How much more do you want from the guy? I watched the game last night, and he was throwing great. He was throwing in the low to mid-90's consistently, and he did have 6 strikeouts in 7 innings of work...including getting out Jeter and A-Rod (even though A-Rod took him out later in the game). So I guess according to your logic, Garland's "non out pitch" must have fooled 6 Yanks since he doesn't really have an "out pitch" to get out hitters with.

The offense let him down last night...this is considered a "tough luck" loss. He pitched good enough to win, but the bats went cold. In fact, the Sox left 7 runners on base...including Maggs grounding out with the bases loaded, and another inning with runners left on the corners.

Don't blame Garland for this loss. It's not his fault. I don't care what kind of pitch Garland throws on 0-2 as long as it's a strike and the batter doesn't hit it. A-Rod didn't know his home run was going out until it went over the fence, and Posada's homer didn't look that strong until it reached the outfield.

hold2dibber
04-22-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
i have to agree with LIP. giving up home runs on an 0-2 count is just utterly pathetic and shows a lack of killer instinct. garland has the physical tools to be a darn good pitcher. but what's between his ears is a different story. you cannot take certain pitches or batters "off" but he constantly does this.

I have always thought that Garland lacked killer instinct, but I don't think you can point to last night's game as evidence of that. First of all, he had two strikes on tons of guys last night and he got the vast majority of them out. The only 0-2 HR he gave up was A-Rod's. And (1) A-Rod is the better hitter in the AL; and (2) the home run was not on a bad pitch - Rodriquez had to reach out over the plate for it. It's not like it was in the wheel house and he was able to smash it - it was way out on the outside corner and A-Rod made a somewhat awkward swing to reach it. You just have to credit him for being able to drive a ball over the opposite field wall on a pitch on an awkward swing.

And the Posada HR was on a 2-2 pitch on a pretty good curve ball. Again, I don't think it was a lack of killer instinct that did him in. It was a good pitch in a good location, but the hitter won that battle anyway.

jeremyb1
04-22-2004, 11:01 AM
I think the mere idea of "killer instinct" is insane. Give me the best pitcher and I think he'll do just fine. What do people think, that Garland doesn't try and get people out? Or that he just doesn't try hard?

Why does it matter where in the count you give up hits? First of all, hitters do hit good pitches sometimes especially when you're talking about the best hitting SS of all time and one of the best catchers in the game. It happens. Also, all pitchers make mistakes and they do it with all types of counts. Garland's not the first pitcher to give up two strike hits.

I'm sorry I just don't understand the concept of "killer instinct" or even the point of this discussion. It seems like nitpicking. I'd rather Garland pitch well and give up a few two strike hits than give up 8 runs falling behind but put guys away when he has two strikes. The fact that he had pitcher's counts is good for something, right?

Randar68
04-22-2004, 11:03 AM

Lip

Reinforcing your board nickname of "town idiot" Lip? Arod queued that one over the fence. He made one mistake all game, the one to Posada. Arod hit that ball and had to search the field to try to find it, he had no idea where it even went. It was a good low-outside pitch he hit out too.

Tip your cap and move on... OOOOOORRRRRR, you could manipulate it into another thing to bitch about.

Will wonders never cease? Lip chose the negative...

Randar68
04-22-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I have always thought that Garland lacked killer instinct, but I don't think you can point to last night's game as evidence of that.

The only thing Garland lacks is about 4 mph on his fastball. You give him that and you'd see about 4 balls a game leave the infield.

fquaye149
04-22-2004, 11:17 AM

Lip

i didn't see the posada shot. . .but i did see the a-rod shot. it was down and away and a-rod chopped at it. he didn't even leave the box for a while, he thought it was foul. it wasn't a bad pitch. . . but it does hurt, i'll give you that

TaylorStSox
04-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Since I'm an optimist, in a baseball sense, I'll say Kudos to Jon for going right at guys with 2 strikes. I liked that he wasn't nibbling. When you do that, you're going to get hit occasionally, but it's the right way to pitch. When he gets the faith to consistantly come right at batters, he'll be a legit number 2.

Vsahajpal
04-22-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
Lip, Garland doesn't have an 'out' pitch. Hitters know this. Even w/ 2 strikes, they can exploit this weakness.

He threw some nice change-ups last night, and I think that could be his out pitch. It has moderate arm-side run and almost acts as a splitter with its late sink. He threw one behind in the count, 2-0, to Giambi early on for a called strike, and later retired him by doubling up on his fastball inside.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2004, 01:14 PM
Gang:

Where in my post did I even infer that Garland was to 'blame?' for the loss?

Some of you are jumping the gun (again) simply because I mentioned it. (After all I have this 'nasty' reputatiuon LOL)

My point is that this was a topic that played out on these same boards by some of you the past few years. When you say it, it's fine but when I say it...well we can't have that now can we?

The blame last night went to a garbage offense, with kudos to Vasquez and it's a fact the Sox are now 5-3 in games where they hold opponents to three runs or less. That is not acceptable. it's not OK to waste good pitching performances.

The point I made though is still valid, Garland gives up far to many two strike hits, and walks where he is ahead in the count. Feel free to look back through the thousands of posts on the site from folks saying the exact same thing.

Lip

raul12
04-22-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I think that is extreme. That is going to happen to any pitcher. Tonight Garland had great stuff and pitched well, but made 2 mistakes that cost him, and then there's that little issue called the Yankee lineup. He was also up against a stud pitcher (a giuy who would be #1 on the Sox no question) and the Sox were without two of their starters.

There comes a time when annecdotal evidence just doesn't tell the whole story. Tonight the Sox would have needed Javier Vasquez on the mound to win. Garland is turning into a fine #3 starter and may end up turning into an ace if he continues to improve.

Get over it Lip...

I second that! Last time I checked, 3 runs over 7 innings equals a quality start. Were people getting all over Loaiza last year when he lost to Detroit 1-0. Sheesh, some people will only ever be satisified if they have a perfect game...and I'm sure we'll have people still complain b/c that pitcher had two batters at a 3-2 count, and they didn't k 'em.

Some people just like to :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: I guess.

Brian26
04-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Tip your cap and move on... Will wonders never cease? Lip chose the negative...

You hit the nail right on the head. Vasquez looked incredible last night. Tip your cap to him and let's get 'em tonight. Watching the game last night from the upper deck, Vasquez' offspeed stuff just made some of our batters look god-awful bad. There were some absolutely horrible swings by Crede and Olivo. We didn't stand a chance. The gun had his changeup clocked at 68-70 mph all night long. The kid is the real deal, and let's hope we don't have to face him in the playoffs, as he might turn into the 2004 version of Juan Guzman or Mike Boddicker.

maurice
04-22-2004, 02:00 PM
Garland sucks so bad that, in 15 innings this season, he gave up 4 runs to the best offense money can buy (a 2.40 ERA)!

I agree with Vic that Garland has an underrated and underused changeup, but no knowledgeable person who watched last night's game could think that he pitched poorly. He gave up a grand total of 2 HRs to legit MVP candidates and only five hits in seven solid innings. That's pretty darn good.

Randar68
04-22-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
You hit the nail right on the head. Vasquez looked incredible last night. Tip your cap to him and let's get 'em tonight. Watching the game last night from the upper deck, Vasquez' offspeed stuff just made some of our batters look god-awful bad. There were some absolutely horrible swings by Crede and Olivo. We didn't stand a chance. The gun had his changeup clocked at 68-70 mph all night long. The kid is the real deal, and let's hope we don't have to face him in the playoffs, as he might turn into the 2004 version of Juan Guzman or Mike Boddicker.

I wouldn't mind it. At least that means we are IN the playoffs, LOL!

habibharu
04-22-2004, 02:10 PM

Lip couldnt agree with this more. Garland showed exactly what his problem is yesterday. its not anything physical. he has great talent. its all between the ears. he was dominant for 5 2/3 yesterday. then he has ARod 0-2 and is about to have an excellent inning, striking out the side. he then has mental lapse, or whatever, and gives a cookie to Arod right down the middle, who jumps on it. this shows that he has the talent to be a 20 game winner, not the concentration or poise

TaylorStSox
04-22-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
couldnt agree with this more. Garland showed exactly what his problem is yesterday. its not anything physical. he has great talent. its all between the ears. he was dominant for 5 2/3 yesterday. then he has ARod 0-2 and is about to have an excellent inning, striking out the side. he then has mental lapse, or whatever, and gives a cookie to Arod right down the middle, who jumps on it. this shows that he has the talent to be a 20 game winner, not the concentration or poise

I guess we have different definitions of "cookies."

habibharu
04-22-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
I guess we have different definitions of "cookies." well thats exactly what it was. right down the middle, maybe a little bit inside, but still got too much of the plate.

Randar68
04-22-2004, 02:21 PM
well thats exactly what it was. right down the middle, maybe a little bit inside, but still got too much of the plate.

HUH!? That pich to ARod was low and away? What game were you watching?

Iwritecode
04-22-2004, 02:23 PM

Complaining about couple of mistakes Garland made last night without mentioning the fact that the offense was shut down by a pitcher that was just plain filthy tends to make people think that...

it's a fact the Sox are now 5-3 in games where they hold opponents to three runs or less. That is not acceptable. it's not OK to waste good pitching performances.

It's not like last year where the team would get shut down by a "no-name" pitcher and kept getting themselves out by only swinging for the fences. (See the 1 - 0 losses to Detriot).

They just happen to run into a good pitcher who is on fire right now.

Twice...

maurice
04-22-2004, 02:23 PM
well thats exactly what it was. right down the middle, maybe a little bit inside, but still got too much of the plate.

Wow, that's not what happened at all. The pitch was on the outside corner. A-Rod swung hard and pushed it out to the opposite field because he's real good. Even A-Rod was suprised he hit that kind of pitch out, thinking it was a pop foul or something.

habibharu
04-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Wow, that's not what happened at all. The pitch was on the outside corner. A-Rod swung hard and pushed it out to the opposite field because he's real good. Even A-Rod was suprised he hit that kind of pitch out, thinking it was a pop foul or something. it still got way too much of the plate for an 0-2 pitch

hold2dibber
04-22-2004, 02:28 PM

Did you watch the game? The pitch was outside and low - he had to lunge out over the plate to get to it.

habibharu
04-22-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Did you watch the game? The pitch was outside and low - he had to lunge out over the plate to get to it. i dont think that he had to lunge. it was not that far outside. it was still a very hittable pitch

ChiSox14305635
04-22-2004, 02:30 PM
Yet another thing about those 2 Yankee home runs, Hawk said at the beginning of the game that the wind was blowing out to right field. Neither shot was hit particulary deep, so possibly under different conditions, those home runs might be outs. For Garland to surrender 5 hits over 7 innings against that 200 million dollar lineup is damn impressive. I'll take performances like that over the one he had last week against KC any day.

TaylorStSox
04-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Fastballs down the middle on 0-2 catch too much of the plate. Hooks that are down and away that aren't hanging on an 0-2 count is a good pitch IMO.

He got beat by the premier power hitter in the AL. Give it up. It happens.

TaylorStSox
04-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Actually, they just replayed it on FSN. It was a fastball away. I stand corrected. However, it wasn't a bad pitch. In fact, Arod had no clue where he hit it. He was fighting it off.

Randar68
04-22-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
Actually, they just replayed it on FSN. It was a fastball away. I stand corrected. However, it wasn't a bad pitch. In fact, Arod had no clue where he hit it. He was fighting it off.

OK, now please repeat this to habibharu until he gets it.

OurBitchinMinny
04-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Garland pitched well for most of the game, but he got rattled after the Arod homerun. Thats what separates him from being the type of pitcher vazquez is. Vazquez gave up the solo HR to lee, then buckled down. Garland gave up one to arod, came back the next inning, gave in to sheffield, and gave up a dong to posada. He pitched great for 5.2. Granted you give up 3 runs in 7, you win 8 out of 10 times, but the sox arent swinging the bats the last few games, at least not when it counts. Garland has the stuff, but needs to get mentally tougher

raul12
04-22-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
...but the sox arent swinging the bats the last few games, at least not when it counts.

huh? Scoring 8 runs to almost comeback after spotting them 7 runs? That was two games ago.

voodoochile
04-22-2004, 04:08 PM
Gang:

Some of you are jumping the gun (again) simply because I mentioned it. (After all I have this 'nasty' reputatiuon LOL)

My point is that this was a topic that played out on these same boards by some of you the past few years. When you say it, it's fine but when I say it...well we can't have that now can we?

The blame last night went to a garbage offense, with kudos to Vasquez and it's a fact the Sox are now 5-3 in games where they hold opponents to three runs or less. That is not acceptable. it's not OK to waste good pitching performances.

The point I made though is still valid, Garland gives up far to many two strike hits, and walks where he is ahead in the count. Feel free to look back through the thousands of posts on the site from folks saying the exact same thing.

Lip

No, Lip. It's not because it's you. Yes, I take much of what you type on these boards with a shake or two of salt because I believe your negative feelings about JR and the team as a whole influence the way you see the players.

I'd have ripped anyone a new one for starting this thread. Maybe it was the timing and maybe your intentions were completely innocent posting this last night after Garland pitched a good game and lost anyway, but I'm not even sure you believe that.

In either case, you could have done a better job of saying what you meant rather than wait until the whole board leveled you and then crying "Poor Lip, everyone hates, Lip." :whiner:

This one isn't about you, it's about your crappy thread.

Oh, did I mention...

maurice
04-22-2004, 04:21 PM
A bit tired? Maybe.

Rattled? No.

Immediately after the A-Rod HR, he got Giambi to fly out weakly.

Immediately after the Posada HR, he got Matsui to strike out, Lee to ground out, and Wilson to fly out.

I can't believe people who call themselves Sox fans are lining up to criticize a Sox pitcher after a good outing against the best offense money can buy. His ERA against the yanks over the two starts is 2.40! That's a good thing. Heck, pitching and defense were the only good things last night. Well, that and the beer was cold.

SpartanSoxFan
04-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Honestly, I think Jon can build from this. He struck out some of the best he will ever face, and while he made a few mistakes, he didn't hang it up. Give him a break, hes still young and could very well blossom into something special.

Baby Fisk
04-22-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by SpartanSoxFan
Honestly, I think Jon can build from this. He struck out some of the best he will ever face, and while he made a few mistakes, he didn't hang it up. Give him a break, hes still young and could very well blossom into something special.

:jon
"Stop picking on me, LipMan. I'm just a delicate flower that needs love."

:ozzie
*stunned silence*

:harold
"Hey Ozzman, don't copy me. Silence is my thing."

"Oh yeah. I meant to say HOLY *$%$&*##&^@?!!!"

FarWestChicago
04-22-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by maurice
I can't believe people who call themselves Sox fans are lining up to criticize a Sox pitcher after a good outing against the best offense money can buy. His ERA against the yanks over the two starts is 2.40! That's a good thing. Heck, pitching and defense were the only good things last night. Well, that and the beer was cold. Well, we all know Lip needs:

:prozac

This other guy with the pitch down the middle crap needs glasses.

We can chalk these two up to physical problems.

SpartanSoxFan
04-22-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
:jon
"Stop picking on me, LipMan. I'm just a delicate flower that needs love."

*stunned silence*

:harold
"Hey Ozzman, don't copy me. Silence is my thing."

:D:

Randar68
04-22-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Well, we all know Lip needs:

:prozac

This other guy with the pitch down the middle crap needs glasses.

We can chalk these two up to physical problems.

FWC, it's good to see you posting a bit more these days.

jeremyb1
04-22-2004, 05:23 PM
i dont think that he had to lunge. it was not that far outside. it was still a very hittable pitch

I think your credibility is shot after completely failing to describe the location of the pitch.

FarWestChicago
04-22-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
FWC, it's good to see you posting a bit more these days. Well, I have less time than ever. But, I decided to have a little fun causing trouble. :smile:

steff
04-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk

And everyone go out and get drunk, too.. :D:

OurBitchinMinny
04-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by raul12
huh? Scoring 8 runs to almost comeback after spotting them 7 runs? That was two games ago.

That was against two yankee AAA pitchers for the most part. When the major leaguers came in to shut it down, the sox bats when quietly

Lip Man 1
04-23-2004, 11:41 AM
"Carelessness on an 0-2 pitch to Alex Rodriguez. He might be struggling, but he's a dangerous guy. We got greedy, ball stayed on the plate, that's carelessness. Pretty good pitch to (Jorge) Posada, but we've got to close that out."--- Sox pitching coach Don Cooper talking about Jon Garland. Daily Southtown. Friday 4/23.

Lip