PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Game Day Thread - 4/21 Vs. Yankees

voodoochile
04-21-2004, 06:48 PM
Please use this thread for all game related posts, or just join all the fun in the Chat Room (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/chat.php?setwidth=955&setheight=450)

JohnJeter
04-21-2004, 07:49 PM
Really high-quality input in the chatroom from what I've seen. Good stuff- if you're 14 or under.

Win1ForMe
04-21-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by JohnJeter
Really high-quality input in the chatroom from what I've seen. Good stuff- if you're 14 or under.

Yeah, the chat sucks. Seriously. I was in there for 5 minutes last night and people were preoccupied with making those, oh so funny chat room sounds.

The chat room format basically discourages any intelligent discussion by limiting responses to one-line (not that all game thread posts are intelligent, but still).

A.T. Money
04-21-2004, 09:49 PM
All I know is if we meet the Yankees in the playoffs, Torre should pitch Vasquez every game, because we can't hit him.

chisoxmike
04-21-2004, 09:53 PM
This game sucked!!!! Thank God we dont have to play them and Vasquez again in '04!

This was by far the most frusterating game this season, I've already forgot about the season opener.

pilotsjs89
04-21-2004, 09:59 PM
--

Daver
04-21-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by pilotsjs89
The thing that really gets me mad about the Yankees is the fact that teams really seem to give in to them when making trades with them. What did Montreal get for Vazquez, Nick Johnson? An all-star caliber pitcher for a .256 career hitter. This just gets me really mad. It makes no sense :angry: .

Oh well :D:

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

kermittheefrog
04-21-2004, 10:04 PM
The thing that really gets me mad about the Yankees is the fact that teams really seem to give in to them when making trades with them. What did Montreal get for Vazquez, Nick Johnson? An all-star caliber pitcher for a .256 career hitter. This just gets me really mad. It makes no sense :angry: .

Nick Johnson is actually a great talent. He just has problems staying healthy. Johnson posted a .422 OBP last year and when he was in the minors he was a dominant hitter. One year in AA he posted a .500 OBP. Nick Johnson as a prospect was comperable to Frank Thomas and its not as if Johnson hasn't had success in the majors. The only thing thats held him back is health problems.

mdep524
04-22-2004, 01:12 AM

Hey, I agree with you. I was downright furious when the Yankees stole Vazquez from Montreal. He is my favorite pitcher in the majors, and I was really hoping the Sox would trade for him- Borchard and Rauch or something. The Sox easily could have made a better offer than the Yanks (I like Nick Johnson, but he is vastly overrated). I'm still pretty pissed about it, not to mention his two performances against us this year. :angry: :angry:

maurice
04-22-2004, 11:30 AM
I'm sure KW was interested in getting Vazquez. He had the prospects to trade, but not the $$$ to pay his salary.

Brian26
04-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by maurice
I'm sure KW was interested in getting Vazquez. He had the prospects to trade, but not the $$$ to pay his salary.

At Soxfest 2003, KW was very candid in one of the seminars talking about how he was trying to get both Colon AND Vasquez from Montreal. That would have been a hell of a winter if he had.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2004, 12:03 PM
To those younger WSI patros...the Yanks have been doing this for years. They had their own 'farm team' in the American League in the 50's named the Kansas City Athletics.

K.C. would send the Yanks players like Roger Maris and Art Ditmar and would get Jurry Lumpe in return.... and of course a boatload of money.

Nothing changes folks, money talks and you know what walks.

Lip

Brian26
04-22-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
K.C. would send the Yanks players like Roger Maris and Art Ditmar and would get Jurry Lumpe in return.... and of course a boatload of money.

Bill Veeck talked about this at length in "Veeck As In Wreck". I never knew, until I read that book, how the Yankees basically cherry-picked Maris right off the A's team. The political spider web between owners and general managers of the American League at the time is absolutely fascinating.

thepaulbowski
04-22-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
All I know is if we meet the Yankees in the playoffs, Torre should pitch Vasquez every game, because we can't hit him.

Maybe we could wear red pin stripes and Vasquez will think it's the Red Sox and suck again. :)