PDA

View Full Version : Cell (we all know its still Comiskey) Renovations

jlh0023
04-21-2004, 04:24 PM
I just made it out to a home game for the first time to see the Yank game against Graman, and I thought the renovations looked great. Just wondering what you guys think of the new and improved Comiskey .

MarqSox
04-21-2004, 04:30 PM
I didn't know it was still Comiskey ... I thought they renamed it U.S. Cellular Field!

Get over the name change, without it, we wouldn't even be talking about renovations.

thezeker
04-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by jlh0023
I just made it out to a home game for the first time to see the Yank game against Graman, and I thought the renovations looked great. Just wondering what you guys think of the new and improved Comiskey .

Perception is reality and the upper deck is now a really nice place to watch a game.

I was in Section 529 Row 9 on Opening Day and what a differnce!
It is like a new upper deck. The 9 rows being gone and the roof actually make it feel intimate up there.

Although I prefer to sit in the Club Level with friends I will have no problem sitting in the Upper Deck between the bases!! In fact I will be there for the Saturday & Sunday Cub games.

After next years rennovations the "cell" will be a very good place to watch baseball. Better late than never!!!

npdempse
04-21-2004, 04:47 PM
Could you really NOT like the renovations? Maybe you could say they could have done it differently, but how could you possibly construe the new UD as worse than the giant blue monstrosity that the Cell once was?

nodiggity59
04-21-2004, 04:49 PM
I love what I've seen.

Does anyone have a pic of the new outfield wall? Those outside of Chicago (i.e. me) probably haven't seen it.

mweflen
04-21-2004, 04:53 PM
I like the renovations. I think the roof is snazzy, and the windscreen looks especially nice from the outside. The green OF wall with the retired numbers adds a touch of class, and makes me hopeful for green seats next year.

But what is this with people saying the UD is "Now" a good place to watch a game?

Almost each and every seat remaining in the UD is identical in position and angle as they were before the renovations.

In terms of watching the game, it's the same!

The roof covers more seats, and you can see downtown through the screen if you're in the back rows.

pinwheels3530
04-21-2004, 04:54 PM
At the game last night I was talking to a family of Yankee fans from Connecticut, and they said they really like are park, no obstructed view in the lower deck unlike yankee stadium was a real plus.

hsnterprize
04-21-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I didn't know it was still Comiskey ... I thought they renamed it U.S. Cellular Field!

Get over the name change, without it, we wouldn't even be talking about renovations. Dude...don't let your shirt get all out of whack when someone calls the place "Comiskey". I occasionally refer to the place as simply..."Sox Park".

We all know the formal name of the place is U.S. Cellular Field. It's just the Sox fan in us keeping in with tradition...that's all.

hsnterprize
04-21-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by mweflen
I like the renovations. I think the roof is snazzy, and the windscreen looks especially nice from the outside. The green OF wall with the retired numbers adds a touch of class, and makes me hopeful for green seats next year.

But what is this with people saying the UD is "Now" a good place to watch a game?

Almost each and every seat remaining in the UD is identical in position and angle as they were before the renovations.

In terms of watching the game, it's the same!

The roof covers more seats, and you can see downtown through the screen if you're in the back rows. To quote another poster..."perception is reality." With all the ribbing people within and outside of Sox fandom gave to new Comiskey Park for its upper deck, and the subsequent national "slap in the face" the Sox took because of it, let the praise come in. So it's 12 years late...better late than never.

MarqSox
04-21-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
Dude...don't let your shirt get all out of whack when someone calls the place "Comiskey". I occasionally refer to the place as simply..."Sox Park".

We all know the formal name of the place is U.S. Cellular Field. It's just the Sox fan in us keeping in with tradition...that's all.
I know, I do too on occassion ... I just get irritated when people act like it's some kind of horrible sin to acknowledge a corporate name. Without U.S. Cellular, the park would not have been improved, so I think it's not unreasonable to give the company a little bit of respect by not dissing the name change.

row18
04-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Well I think the park is perfect, besides for the fact it's about 100 blocks from my house. They should move it to Rogers Park,(or maybe I should move?). Anyway the UD is cool, i walked up there during the rain delay, and it seems a lot shorter, like they removed more than 8 rows.
The fan deck, OMG! That takes the cake, do any of the other parks have something like that? Whoever thought of that idea needs his face on the wall with all the other SOX greats!

SpartanSoxFan
04-21-2004, 06:44 PM
What renovations are they planning on doing in the future???

ma_deuce
04-21-2004, 11:08 PM
You are going to be hard pressed to find someone that does not like making the Cell look more like a ballpark. With a little luck, they will keep working on it.

Deuce

blueeyes33
04-21-2004, 11:19 PM
Dude...don't let your shirt get all out of whack when someone calls the place "Comiskey". I occasionally refer to the place as simply..."Sox Park".
[/QUOTE]

everyone i ever knew calls it sox park even when there was old comiskey, amen.this is the true name of the place.

MarqSox
04-22-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by npdempse
Could you really NOT like the renovations? Maybe you could say they could have done it differently, but how could you possibly construe the new UD as worse than the giant blue monstrosity that the Cell once was?
Overall I'm fine with the renovations, but I could really do without the pillars. Also, 6,000 fewer seats means I'll never again be able to attend a Cubs-Sox game (or a playoff game) without forgoing food for a couple months. As for the "giant blue monstrosity," I thought the imposing size was a positive thing. I mean, nobody complains that the Sears Tower dwarfs the surrounding buildings ... just because the park used to be gigantic wasn't a bad thing, IMO.

If the renovations put more people in the seats, it'll have been worth it ... but I'm not convinced it's really better.

BeerHandle
04-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by SpartanSoxFan
What renovations are they planning on doing in the future???

It has not been officially announced, but the rumors are a home run deck in right field and a bar/restaurant in Left field.

Also, there is suppose to be a t-ball field built using old comiskey home plate in Lot B.

fado
04-22-2004, 04:20 PM
HOK (I think) use to have renderings of what was going to go on in the final stage of the renovations. These were on a grand scale - namely home run porch in right and a grand entrance located where the ramps are right now at 35th and Wentworth. Plus there were also some rumors that they were going to take out the offices that are on the first floor and put restaurants in there, with the offices being moved to a building that they were going to construct near the players parking lots. I have noticed that HOK took down those renderings and there is no mention of a final stage to the cell.