PDA

View Full Version : Honel update?

TaylorStSox
04-21-2004, 05:17 PM
Can anyone give an update on Honel's condition?

Rex Hudler
04-21-2004, 07:21 PM
They are just being careful with him. He missed his 2nd start on Tuesday. An MRI showed no problems. I'm sure he is throwing on the side and that will determine when he will return.

TaylorStSox
04-21-2004, 07:34 PM
Right on. Thanks for the reply. Good news. He's probably our only real pitching prospect as of right now.

Daver
04-21-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
Right on. Thanks for the reply. Good news. He's probably our only real pitching prospect as of right now.

Ryan Meaux,Felix Diaz,Ryan Wing,Arnaldo Munoz,Emenciao Pacheco,as well as a few others disagree with you.

TaylorStSox
04-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Ryan Meaux,Felix Diaz,Ryan Wing,Arnaldo Munoz,Emenciao Pacheco,as well as a few others disagree with you.

I just mean ceiling wise. I'm not sure where you project him. I've read from a number of sources that he's probably the only guy that could be top of the rotation. FWIW

Now that we're on it. Daver, what do you think of McCarthy?

Daver
04-21-2004, 08:06 PM
I just mean ceiling wise. I'm not sure where you project him. I've read from a number of sources that he's probably the only guy that could be top of the rotation. FWIW

I watched Kris Honel pitch his entire HS career,he has what it takes to be a staff ace.

I haven't seen enough tape on McCarthy to have an opinion,Randar thinks highly of him,and I have a lot of faith in Randar's judgement,hopefully I can get a decent amount of tape on him this year.

Chisoxfn
04-21-2004, 10:16 PM
McCarthy's the real deal. I don't know if he'll surpass Honel as the #1 pitching prospect in the organization, but he has very good control and nice stuff all around.

His K/BB ratio is absolutely sick and he has good size and should add another few mph to his fastball as his body fills out. He's sneaky fast right now...by sneaky fast I mean he is about 91-92 velocity wise, maybe 93...but the ball really gets up on hitters because of his lankiness...kind of like Garland.

Randar68
04-21-2004, 10:20 PM

One word: Stud

He's one of the 5 best pitching prospects in the organization, IMO, and the only thing keeping him from being just behind Honel is that he's a tad old for his league, but he misses bats and his K:BB ratio is likely to be the best in the organization. If he ever finds a way to fill out his spindly-tall frame, he's going to be an absolute terror.

trailboss
04-22-2004, 12:40 AM
BMAC is a tad old? He's 20! Did you mean that?

The height is a big factor. The arm speed says mid 80's, the ball says low 90's.