PDA

View Full Version : All-Star Ballot


bc2k
04-21-2004, 04:06 PM
Remember the controversy 2 years' ago when Thomas was listed on the ballot at First Base despite being a full-time DH while his First Baseman teammate outperformed him? Last year there was no controversy because the All-Star game was held in an American League park, allowing room for both First Baseman and DH positions on the ballot. This year, it's held in an NL park, Houston, and Konerko--despite being the team's everyday First Baseman--has been left off the ballot again in favor of the DH Thomas.


cast your vote (http://www.aclasscelebs.com/leeannt/images/016_jpg.jpg)

link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040421&content_id=725226&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

Hokiesox
04-21-2004, 04:11 PM
That must be where the other thread about Konerko being traded got started from. Darn those internet rumors.

Actually, why whine? Doesn't every AL team have dilemmas like this when their DH is one of their best hitters (which, theoretically, they should be)?

maurice
04-21-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Konerko--despite being the team's everyday First Baseman--has been left off the ballot again in favor of the DH Thomas.

Good.

bafiarocks03
04-21-2004, 05:58 PM
i know i was like Hello! have you seen Frank play this year at 1st! naooooo!! i havent' sooo WHere is my man on that ballot!!

JohnBasedowYoda
04-21-2004, 06:00 PM
write vote, paulie. do it or pay...the wrath of paulie.

soltrain21
04-21-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Good.


Why's that? Paulie is having a damn good year so far...

DSpivack
04-21-2004, 06:20 PM
Why can't Paulie and the Big Hurt both be listed?

A. Cavatica
04-21-2004, 07:39 PM
They draw up the ballot based on last year's performance. Based on last year's performance, Paulie is lucky to have a job, much less be on the ASB.

Railsplitter
04-21-2004, 09:17 PM
There's always a write-in. You can't two players on the same team listed for the infield positions or catcher.

Deadguy
04-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Who cares. Neither one of them will come close to getting voted in.

batmanZoSo
04-21-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
They draw up the ballot based on last year's performance. Based on last year's performance, Paulie is lucky to have a job, much less be on the ASB.

That would explain why Thomas was on the ballot in 2002!

Anyway, the only way Thomas would get voted in is as a DH. I think the All Star game should have a DH regardless. Who wants to see sweaty David Wells taking hacks at Randy Johnson fastballs again?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/XL.jpg
"I'm fat, you're ugly. I can go on a diet."

Railsplitter
04-22-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Who cares. Neither one of them will come close to getting voted in.

I notice from your profile you live in Peoria. Perhaps you are unaware the Sox play in a part of Chicago noted for stuffing ballot boxes.

Deadguy
04-22-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
I notice from your profile you live in Peoria. Perhaps you are unaware the Sox play in a part of Chicago noted for stuffing ballot boxes.

And it was so effective last year when Varitek beat out Thomas for the final All Star spot.

Buy a clue. Unless Thomas hits 13 homeruns in May, he won't come close to getting voted onto the team.

maurice
04-22-2004, 11:53 AM
This happens all the time. MLB stupidly allows only one slot for two players. The choice between the two is obvious to any objective observer.

Player A has multiple All-Star and MVP seasons, a .996 career OPS, and a very good .390 OBP with 42 HR and 105 RBI last season.

Player B has one All-Star first half and zero MVPs, an .812 career OPS, and a pathetic .305 OBP with 18 HR and 65 RBI last season.

It sucks for Paulie, but he should take a back seat to the best hitter in Chicago history.

Railsplitter
04-23-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Deadguy
And it was so effective last year when Varitek beat out Thomas for the final All Star spot.

Buy a clue. Unless Thomas hits 13 homeruns in May, he won't come close to getting voted onto the team.

Clues are too expensive. And why should I want Thomas anyway? If Konerko keeps up they he started, he'd certainly be more deserving.