PDA

View Full Version : Vet hurler you want the Sox to acquire?

Bisco Stu
04-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Apparent we're going to need one more arm to win the division. My personal choice would be Al Leiter, my favorite active pitcher, but since he grew up a Mets fan, he'll probably retire there.

Wouldn't mind taking a shot at Wilson Alvarez, since he's been relegated to the Dodgers bully. We brought back Ozzie, why not No Hit Alvarez?

Maybe Hentgen from the Jays if they're going to suck all year and look to trade vets.

jabrch
04-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
Apparent we're going to need one more arm to win the division. My personal choice would be Al Leiter, my favorite active pitcher, but since he grew up a Mets fan, he'll probably retire there.

Wouldn't mind taking a shot at Wilson Alvarez, since he's been relegated to the Dodgers bully. We brought back Ozzie, why not No Hit Alvarez?

Maybe Hentgen from the Jays if they're going to suck all year and look to trade vets.

There is a lot of talk that RJ will be available around the trade deadline for a TOP TIER package. If we are in the hunt, and if JR really wants to win, that's what I'd like to see. It would be expensive - that's for sure. Probably 2 of our top 5 prospects in the system, but if we are in the lead by a few games, imagine adding RJ? RJ, Buehrle, ELO, Shoe and Garland - whoa

haganaga
04-21-2004, 04:24 PM
It won't happen, but it would be nice to see the Braves out of it come June/July and KW pick up Smoltz. Lord knows we could use a closer.

Like I said, it won't happen, but it would be nice if we didn't have to give up the world for it.

nodiggity59
04-21-2004, 04:26 PM
Randy Johnson.

Then, KW packages Shoenweiss/Wright and a weak prospect for Urbina.

munchman33
04-21-2004, 04:29 PM
Randy Johnson will be wearing a White Sox uniform come July. And yes, I realize this is not in pink.

Baby Fisk
04-21-2004, 04:30 PM
Roger Clemens, to start games 1, 4 and 7 (if necessary) of the World Series. ho ho! :D:

TaylorStSox
04-21-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
There is a lot of talk that RJ will be available around the trade deadline for a TOP TIER package. If we are in the hunt, and if JR really wants to win, that's what I'd like to see. It would be expensive - that's for sure. Probably 2 of our top 5 prospects in the system, but if we are in the lead by a few games, imagine adding RJ? RJ, Buehrle, ELO, Shoe and Garland - whoa

I've been thinking about this since the season started. Who do we give up though?

Borchard
Reed
Honel
Rauch
Anderson
Sweeney
Nanita
McCarthy
Valido
Diaz
Pacheco

These guys are arguably our top prospects. At this point, they can have Borchard and Rauch. However, I'd be very reluctant to give up on guys like Reed, Honel, Sweeney and Anderson for a 41 year old pitcher who's been inconsistant and hurt for the last couple of years.

ode to veeck
04-21-2004, 04:41 PM
Wilbur Wood, but too bad there's really no double headers for him to try to pitch two games in anymore

DrummerGeorgefan
04-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Chuck Hough...

Knuckleball pitchers never experience a tired arm. Plus, he could bore the hitters to death

SEALgep
04-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by haganaga
It won't happen, but it would be nice to see the Braves out of it come June/July and KW pick up Smoltz. Lord knows we could use a closer.

Like I said, it won't happen, but it would be nice if we didn't have to give up the world for it. Smoltz isn't doing very well.

jabrch
04-21-2004, 04:50 PM
I don't think they'd be looking for Borchard and Rauch as the centerpiece to the deal. In order to get RJ, we would have to give up a Honel or a Reed in the deal. Now if RJ is 100% all along this season, and we are in the hunt, I would do it. We can keep hoping our farm system eventually develops stars, and that they all come up together, and that our veterans stay, etc. etc. etc. but if we have a chance to add a Randy Johnson and put ourselves in a strong position to win NOW, I'd be hard pressed to pass it up. If they wanted either Honel, Reed, Anderson or Sweeney, along with a lesser prospect, I'd do it - provided I felt that we were just that one piece away from being able to win it all.

Originally posted by TaylorStSox
I've been thinking about this since the season started. Who do we give up though?

Borchard
Reed
Honel
Rauch
Anderson
Sweeney
Nanita
McCarthy
Valido
Diaz
Pacheco

These guys are arguably our top prospects. At this point, they can have Borchard and Rauch. However, I'd be very reluctant to give up on guys like Reed, Honel, Sweeney and Anderson for a 41 year old pitcher who's been inconsistant and hurt for the last couple of years.

IlliniSox
04-21-2004, 04:58 PM
It would give us three horses to balance the offense heading into the postseason, noone would want to face the Sox in a best of 5.

Which is why I pulled so much hair out last season when the Twins swept our season away.

RichFitztightly
04-21-2004, 05:02 PM
No No No on Leiter. I can't stand him. Though he was good in the announcer's booth. That Johnson acquisition is intriguing. Though if you're asking what pitcher I want on this team I'd say Barry Zito. Obviously, I realize that there's no way it's happening but he's number one on my wish list.

onenine19
04-21-2004, 05:02 PM
Kris Benson! If he is totally healthy from Tommy John surgery. The pirates will try to dump his salary once they're out of it.
Bonus: http://www.annabenson.net/

RichFitztightly
04-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by onenine19

Yowza!!!

To make this baseball related Benson has looked great thus far in the year. Like to see him keep it up.

onenine19
04-21-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by onenine19
Kris Benson! If he is totally healthy from Tommy John surgery. The pirates will try to dump his salary once they're out of it.
boy am i stupid. this was a reply to which starting pitcher did we want to acquire. sorry!

TaylorStSox
04-21-2004, 05:22 PM
I don't think they'd be looking for Borchard and Rauch as the centerpiece to the deal. In order to get RJ, we would have to give up a Honel or a Reed in the deal. Now if RJ is 100% all along this season, and we are in the hunt, I would do it. We can keep hoping our farm system eventually develops stars, and that they all come up together, and that our veterans stay, etc. etc. etc. but if we have a chance to add a Randy Johnson and put ourselves in a strong position to win NOW, I'd be hard pressed to pass it up. If they wanted either Honel, Reed, Anderson or Sweeney, along with a lesser prospect, I'd do it - provided I felt that we were just that one piece away from being able to win it all.

I think it's possible that we may have more leverage than we'd imagine. Johnson's probably done after this year anyway. The D'backs are aware of this as are we. If they're not in contention, which is likely, they may be willing to take 2 guys that may still project well. There is still a decent chance of Borchard and Rauch succeeding in the ML. Realistically, those 2 probably have the highest ceiling's of any players in our org. despite their age and regression. LTP's still a 4 tool guy with major pop and Rauch may (very optimistically) have 3 potential.

LoveTheSox
04-21-2004, 07:14 PM
mulder grew up a sox fan, right? let's get him!

jabrch
04-21-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
I think it's possible that we may have more leverage than we'd imagine. Johnson's probably done after this year anyway. The D'backs are aware of this as are we. If they're not in contention, which is likely, they may be willing to take 2 guys that may still project well. There is still a decent chance of Borchard and Rauch succeeding in the ML. Realistically, those 2 probably have the highest ceiling's of any players in our org. despite their age and regression. LTP's still a 4 tool guy with major pop and Rauch may (very optimistically) have 3 potential.

When Seattle traded RJ to Houston they got a pretty good package for him even though he was definitely gone after the season. I forget exactly what they got - but...

If we can get him for Rauch and Borchard, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Win1ForMe
04-21-2004, 07:57 PM
When Seattle traded RJ to Houston they got a pretty good package for him even though he was definitely gone after the season. I forget exactly what they got - but...

If we can get him for Rauch and Borchard, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Johnson was a much better pitcher back then. He also has $15M remaining for 2005; he's not a free agent. Unless the Sox plan to up payroll next year, this move would be insane.

Whitesox029
04-21-2004, 10:06 PM
I'm setting my sights high. If we're trading Konerko, I will take nothing short of Gagne, Smoltz, Rivera or Hoffman (Not that I actually think Rivera is up for grabs, I'm just using the name to enforce my point). If we're talking trading minor leaguers at the deadline for the home stretch, most anyone you guys have named would be fine by me. We just have to be careful not to trade away the next Jon Smoltz like the Tigers did back in '85.