PDA

View Full Version : Rain Delay has sparked a question

chisox06
04-21-2004, 01:24 PM
Watching the sox last night (finally got the extra innings package), and seeing it come down in droves around the 2 inning I started thinking. If a ball game is postponed due to rain and the game does not go 5 innings, even though the game is cancelled do all of the stats still count for those 1-4 innings played? Would Buehrle still be charged with those Earned runs, errors, base hits etc? Or do they just wipe the whole slate clean like it never happened? I'm sure one of my fellow sox fans can help me out!

sas1974
04-21-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Watching the sox last night (finally got the extra innings package), and seeing it come down in droves around the 2 inning I started thinking. If a ball game is postponed due to rain and the game does not go 5 innings, even though the game is cancelled do all of the stats still count for those 1-4 innings played? Would Buehrle still be charged with those Earned runs, errors, base hits etc? Or do they just wipe the whole slate clean like it never happened? I'm sure one of my fellow sox fans cant help me out!

Clean slate!

muckdogs624
04-21-2004, 01:27 PM
EVERYTHING WOULD HAVE BEEN WIPED OUT!!! I was at home watching the game praying to the baseball gods to keep having it pour. Unfortunately, the gods did not comply to my demands.

chisox06
04-21-2004, 01:32 PM
Thanx fellas! I wanted the game to get rained out as well. Now after I know this I bet Buehrle REALLY wanted the game to be postponed.

So technically you could have a hitter reach some type of milestone, have the game cancelled and it's like it never happened? I know thats highly unlikely but kind of interesting to think about.

jlh0023
04-21-2004, 01:46 PM
Another question. When postponed games are made up, do they have to be at the same place (home/away), or can they have it at the other teams field?

Iwritecode
04-21-2004, 01:51 PM
I remember it happened once to the Sox against Texas a couple of years ago.

They had been in a slump the previous few games but started the first couple of innings strong scoring runs left and right.

Then of course the game gets rained out, all the stats go out the window and they lose the make up game. :whiner:

Iwritecode
04-21-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by jlh0023
Another question. When postponed games are made up, do they have to be at the same place (home/away), or can they have it at the other teams field?

I would assume it would have to be made up in the same place. That's a lot of revenue the team loses if the game isn't played.

The Royals had a brutal road trip the end of last year because they had to make up a rainout.

They went from Texas, back to KC for one game against Arizona, then back on the road against Anaheim.

SoxFan76
04-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by muckdogs624
EVERYTHING WOULD HAVE BEEN WIPED OUT!!! I was at home watching the game praying to the baseball gods to keep having it pour. Unfortunately, the gods did not comply to my demands.

Similar to the wise words of Homer J. Simpson:

"Dear Lord: The gods have been good to me. For the first time in my life, everything is absolutely perfect just the way it is. So here's the deal: You freeze everything the way it is, and I won't ask for anything more. If that is OK, please give me absolutely no sign. OK, deal. In gratitude, I present you this offering of cookies and milk. If you want me to eat them for you, give me no sign. Thy will be done."

Sorry, that really had no relation to baseball, it just popped into my head.

Lip Man 1
04-21-2004, 08:54 PM
You are talking about the texas' games from August 1990. The Sunday game at Sox Park was the last time texas was in for the season. The Sox literally waited until after 8PM to 'officially' call the game. (At the TV station I remember calling the AP to find out what the hell was going on, was it postponed or not?) This was probably the longest delay in MLB history.

The Sox tried to wait until it was no longer humanly possible to get the game in because it was at home and Texas wasn't coming back. The Sox asked Texas if they would return on an off day in September (for both teams) and they said no.

The next week the Sox made the game up as part of a DH. In game #1 the Sox lost to Nolan Ryan 1-0 in 12 innings (or maybe 14). It was a game that had brush back pitches and hard feelings and also had an altercation out at 2nd base. In game #2 Fisk hit his record setting home run and the Sox won 4-2 behind Melido Perez.

Lip

Railsplitter
04-21-2004, 09:23 PM
The drainage at the Cell is so good, if it stops raining the day of the game, they can get it in.

Lip Man 1
04-21-2004, 09:54 PM
I wish it wasn't so good last night...

Lip

kingpin_rcs
04-22-2004, 12:05 AM
The stats count. The game does not. Check out Greg Walker's stats for 1985. You'll notice that he has 163 games played (one more than a full season). This is because the Sox were in Boston and played 7 innings of a game that got rained out. The game ended in a 1-1 tie.

I'm not sure whay they would play the entire game over, but they did.

Check out this link and look at July 31st.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1985_sched.shtml

Here is Greg Walker's stats - look at 1985.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/walkegr01.shtml

Iwritecode
04-22-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
You are talking about the texas' games from August 1990. The Sunday game at Sox Park was the last time texas was in for the season. The Sox literally waited until after 8PM to 'officially' call the game. (At the TV station I remember calling the AP to find out what the hell was going on, was it postponed or not?) This was probably the longest delay in MLB history.

The Sox tried to wait until it was no longer humanly possible to get the game in because it was at home and Texas wasn't coming back. The Sox asked Texas if they would return on an off day in September (for both teams) and they said no.

The next week the Sox made the game up as part of a DH. In game #1 the Sox lost to Nolan Ryan 1-0 in 12 innings (or maybe 14). It was a game that had brush back pitches and hard feelings and also had an altercation out at 2nd base. In game #2 Fisk hit his record setting home run and the Sox won 4-2 behind Melido Perez.

Lip

Nope, the games I'm talking about happened in 2001.

Here are some key quotes from the ESPN game recap: (http://espn.go.com/mlb/2001/20010504/recap/chwtex.html)

Texas fell behind 6-0 to the Chicago White Sox in the fourth inning Friday night in Narron's debut, before rain forced the postponement of the game.

The Rangers are 11-17, their worst start since 1985, and have lost eight of 10 games. Their current five-game losing streak includes a three-game sweep by Detroit in which the Tigers scored four first-inning runs Wednesday and had five in the first Thursday -- a 9-4 loss that was Oates' last game.

Chicago, which has an 8-18 record that is the worst in the AL...

The third inning wiped out by rain was the first time this year Chicago has scored more than four runs in an inning.

I mis-remembered a little bit because the Sox actually won the makeup game on Monday but lost the next day's game. It was just dis-heartening to see the Sox, in such a horrible slump, finally start a game out looking good only to have it rained out.

The tribe trolls were almost unbearable those couple of days...