PDA

View Full Version : Attendance: Anyone Remember '92-'94 ...

joecrede
04-21-2004, 01:08 PM
The Sox were drawing 30,000+ on a regular basis during the summer and all the media did was wonder "why no one went to Comiskey?"

The Sox and Sox fans have been crucified ever since.

Irishsox1
04-21-2004, 02:22 PM
As long as every drunken moron heads over to Wrigley and fills the place up, the media will look at the White Sox and wonder why no one goes to the cell. It's an annoying benefit of having two major league teams located 10 miles apart.

The Cubs and the Tribune Corp. want Reisndorf to sell the Sox and the new owner move the team to a city like Indianapolis. The Tribune Corp. believes that Greed is Good. Why have 60% of the market when you can have 95%?

Lip Man 1
04-21-2004, 09:17 PM
Bob:

Just wondering (and I'm not being sarcastic) do you have anything in print you can post on this subject.

I was not in Chicago at that time so I have no way to know but I find it hard to think you could draw an average of over 30,000 a game and the media would complain.

Lip

Lip Man 1
04-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Irish:

With the new lease extension, the Sox aren't going anywhere. It would cost the new owners far to much to pay off the city and state, they'd be ruined financially, before the relocated franchise even played their first game.

Lip

soxnut
04-21-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
The Sox were drawing 30,000+ on a regular basis during the summer and all the media did was wonder "why no one went to Comiskey?"

The Sox and Sox fans have been crucified ever since.

I do remember that a little bit. But it was just in comparison to all of the new parks that were built that were averageing more per game. At that time SkyDome was still a big deal and they were averaging 40,000 as was Camden, Ballpark and Jacobs. Comiskey was averaging around 33,000. And that's when people started commenting that our park was already out-of-date.

I was at the park for the first night game in '91, and there were 32,000 there. And I was somewhat surprised and a little disappointed that there weren't more. But i guess it just held true with statistaics and Sox fans---night games in April---kids in school, etc.

Even with averaging 33,000 in those years, the park still drew well. I would consider it "filled up", especially in June, July, August---there had to be an average of over 40,000.

joecrede
04-21-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Bob:

Just wondering (and I'm not being sarcastic) do you have anything in print you can post on this subject.

I was not in Chicago at that time so I have no way to know but I find it hard to think you could draw an average of over 30,000 a game and the media would complain.

Lip

Lip, hard to believe indeed but it happened. I have nothing in print to prove it, but I'm sure someone like Hal Vickery can verify this. Many a North/Jiggetts and McNeil/Boers radio show beat the subject to death back then. Not to mention certain columnists.