PDA

View Full Version : Don't you think its sad, no sellout for Yanks

iwannago
04-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Don't you think its sad that the Sox could not sell out with the Yankees only being in town for three days this year? Marketing, JR, or even the weather should not be an excuse. This is probably the best competition the Sox will see all year.

Brian26
04-21-2004, 01:54 PM
Not many teams can sell out on a cold, rainy Tuesday night in April. As for the best competition all year, I think the Angels might have something to say about that.

soltrain21
04-21-2004, 01:56 PM
Who cares, honestly.

It was cold and rainy. I am really getting tired of the attendence issue.

DaveIsHere
04-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Drop the attendance thing. People will come out when it is warm, I usually go to opening day, but had previous engagements. I wil be there when I feel like going, Dog Days with my pooch and also next Friday against the J's. Honestly I like the 20-30 that show up, it keeps the traffic a little cleaner and makes it more enjoyable not having to wait inline for everything. We will sellout come playoff time, don't you worry about that.

BearSox
04-21-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
Don't you think its sad that the Sox could not sell out with the Yankees only being in town for three days this year?

Nope

This is probably the best competition the Sox will see all year.

Wrong

Let me guess....You work for the Cub Times?

Foulke You
Don't you think its sad that the Sox could not sell out with the Yankees only being in town for three days this year? Marketing, JR, or even the weather should not be an excuse. This is probably the best competition the Sox will see all year.

32,000+ on a rainy, dreary night in mid-April? No, I don't think that is sad. Don't be like the media, try not to get so hung up on attendance.

Dub25

No, I think it's sad that it takes the Yankees just to get a few people in the park.

quade36
04-21-2004, 02:07 PM
The Sox will do fine with attendance. And judging by how much the crowd was into it, I could see that just by watching, who cares if they didn't sell out.

Whoever, throws up the attendance is just plain stupid and probably would rather get drunk, throw 6.50 beer onto the field and party all night. I for one, will go to over 30 Sox games this year. Yeah its not every game, but its a good chunk. I will also go to about 10 cubs games, 2-3 Brewers games, and at least one phillies game. For all you people again, how many games do you go to? I am so sick of hearing someone who probably goes to 5 baseball games at most throw a stink about attendance. Grow up....

CHISOXFAN13
04-21-2004, 02:07 PM
Didn't we learn anything from last year.

Fans came out in droves when
A. We started winning
B. the college kids were home.

I can't recall how many 30,000 plus crowds we had from June til the end of the campaign.

The attendance issue is such a joke
:angry:

jabrch
04-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Yeah - we had 2mm fans through the gates last year. That really isn't too terrible. It gets tiring hearing about it.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-21-2004, 02:19 PM

If you really care then get your butt out of DC and go to a game. Who cares about the Yankees? I go to see the Sox and not their so-called competition.

jlh0023
04-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Its sorta pathetic that we can only bring 32,000 for the Yanks (I include myself proudly), but given that it's a weekday and raining, that may have stopped quite a few people. But by the end of the season i'm looking for 30,000 almost every day....maybe unlikely, but it's something to strive for. Also, I want the seats filled with Sox fans, there were way too many Yank fans there yesterday. Some guy in front of me kept cheering for the Yanks, and we were pretty damn close to lynching him.

santo=dorf
04-21-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13

B. the college kids were home.

I went with a couple of my buddies to the game last night. Sure, I wasn't able to do a homework assignment and I have an exam on Friday, but it's my White Sox in a big series. :)

Brian26
04-21-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by jlh0023
Its sorta pathetic that we can only bring 32,000 for the Yanks

But given that it's a rainy, cold Tuesday night in April, actually that's not pathetic at all. If it were a Friday night in August, it would be an ok number. For a Tuesday night in April, it's a great number.

mulvaskills
04-21-2004, 02:25 PM
When it comes to lovin', nobody is better than the Flubs rotation!

:troll

habibharu
04-21-2004, 02:29 PM
whats sad is that we had 11000 f-in people on a beautiful day against our division rivals!

chisox06
04-21-2004, 02:29 PM

It's Mid April 40 degrees with wind and rain. 30,000+ I think is pretty good no matter what team you are. Not to mention that the walk up crowd Im sure was cut down significantly due to weather. How is it sad?

The best competiton all year is debatable as well. Quit moanin about attendence, I get so tired of hearin about it. Good Team plus good weather=good attendece, thats all their is to it.

CubKilla
04-21-2004, 02:51 PM
When's the last time attendance had anything to do with W-L column?

Those are the only numbers I concern myself with.

CubKilla
04-21-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
whats sad is that we had 11000 f-in people on a beautiful day against our division rivals!

To quote the scholarly Lee Elia.....

"85% of the world is working (on a Wednesday afternoon in April). The other 15% come out here (to Wrigley Field and day baseball in general).

thepaulbowski
04-21-2004, 03:02 PM
All I have to say is...

:threadsucks

Dan H
04-21-2004, 03:14 PM
The attendance issue is for the Sox and the mopes in the media worry about. Last time I checked it cost real money to go to a game and you can't tell people how to spend their money. If Sox want fans, win something important for a change.

JRIG
04-21-2004, 03:29 PM
I stopped worrying about the people who don't go to games a long time ago. I'm more than happy to be a part of the people who are attending games.

WWIII
04-21-2004, 03:31 PM
No. "The 32,034 attendance ranked as the seventh-largest April crowd in the 14-year history of U.S. Cellular Field" according to the official White Sox Website. That includes 14 home-openers. Last night's crowd was impressive in light of the weather. And what's even more impressive is that a lot of the fans stayed at the game after a horrible first inning and an hour and twelve minute rain delay to cheer our boys on to what was almost a spectacular comeback. Check the attendance tonight. I'll bet it's close to if not a sell-out.

As for last weeks games. I would have loved to be there against the Royals on a beautiful day, but I am already planning on leaving work at least eight times this year to catch the Sox, and I couldn't afford to go, and I am sure there are thousands of Sox fans in the same situation.

Now let's forget this attendance crap and focus on domination of the majors.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-21-2004, 03:34 PM
AMEN WWWIII

iwannago
04-21-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda
If you really care then get your butt out of DC and go to a game. Who cares about the Yankees? I go to see the Sox and not their so-called competition.

People move, jobs transfer you. Look I go to about 6 to 8 Sox games a year at Comiskey. It costs me a lot more to go to games than you. I also attend all Sox games in Baltimore and see them when I'm on the road in various parks in the US. I also see the Winston Salem team and Charlette (sp) several times a year. So don't tell to get of my butt and see a Sox game.

wdelaney72
04-21-2004, 03:38 PM
The lack of a sellout and the enthusiasm of the Sox fans in attendance is just further proof that not everybody loves the Yankees. I wish the media would get that through their heads.

I hate New York.

joecrede
04-21-2004, 03:40 PM
People move, jobs transfer you. Look I go to about 6 to 8 Sox games a year at Comiskey. It costs me a lot more to go to games than you. I also attend all Sox games in Baltimore and see them when I'm on the road in various parks in the US. I also see the Winston Salem team and Charlette (sp) several times a year. So don't tell to get of my butt and see a Sox game.

If you really cared you'd move back here. :gulp:

jackbrohamer
04-21-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
All I have to say is...

Seriously, the media harps on Sox attendance because local writers are lazy, Reinsdorf & his associates harp on it because they want more $$$$. But why do Sox fans have to define themselves in terms of attendance? Especially on a Totally Biased site like this one?

lavagurl
04-21-2004, 03:44 PM
I'm sure weather was the biggest factor. Plus, it's too early in the season for people, other than die hard fans to be really excited about a rivalry. If it was near play off time and both teams were doing well, hell, if it was half way through the season and both were doing well, I bet it would be a different story.

soxnut
04-21-2004, 03:50 PM
Both tv and radio mentioned that the Sox said it would have been a sellout if not for the weather. But anyway, 32,000 in April in Chicago is a great number.

pinwheels3530
04-21-2004, 04:57 PM
Hey iwannago if you can't take some criticism, why did you start this stupid thread in the first place?

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-21-2004, 05:11 PM
The weather probably had to do a lot with it. I was suprised last night becuase usually when the yankees are in town, 1/2 of the attendence are bandwagon yankee fans. I mainly saw sox fans last night.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-21-2004, 06:37 PM
let's all just be brothers

voodoochile
04-21-2004, 06:42 PM

I will if you will...

and

:whocares

iwannago
04-21-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
Hey iwannago if you can't take some criticism, why did you start this stupid thread in the first place?

The same reason you read it. I didn't think it was criticism. I just simply wanted to say that I'm a real fan even though I live 700 miles away. Oh by the way I am a season ticket holder, have been for about twenty years.

Dan H
04-21-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
Seriously, the media harps on Sox attendance because local writers are lazy, Reinsdorf & his associates harp on it because they want more $$$$. But why do Sox fans have to define themselves in terms of attendance? Especially on a Totally Biased site like this one?

I agree. No fan has to defend him/herself on how many games they attend. This team has won one home post season game since 1919. Only a Cub fan would like a record like that. Want people at the park? Forget the empty promises, show that you want to win and then do it. They were donated a stadium at Illinois taxpayers' expense. If you win something and no one shows, then complain. But to paraphrase the great Ozzie Guillen, "we don't owe them anything."

batmanZoSo
04-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
I agree. No fan has to defend him/herself on how many games they attend. This team has won one home post season game since 1919. Only a Cub fan would like a record like that. Want people at the park? Forget the empty promises, show that you want to win and then do it. They were donated a stadium at Illinois taxpayers' expense. If you win something and no one shows, then complain. But to paraphrase the great Ozzie Guillen, "we don't owe them anything."

Paraphrase is right :smile: Don't turn Sun-Times on us!

santo=dorf
04-25-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by mulvaskills
Attendance shouldn't be an issues as long as the Sox play a team with fans.

:troll

MRKARNO
04-25-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by mulvaskills
Attendance shouldn't be an issues as long as the Sox play a team with fans.

I second that santo=dorf. This guy is a total troll, just look at his past posts. Why do we allow trolls to post so long here sometimes? We allow semi-intelligent cub fans, but this isnt one of them.

HomeFish
04-25-2004, 01:50 PM
The only pathetic thing about the Yankee series is the fact that we lost two games.

ewokpelts
04-26-2004, 01:11 PM
:whocares