PDA

View Full Version : Did the Sox run themselves out of the game last night?

brewcrew/chisox
04-21-2004, 01:48 PM
Just wondering what you all thought of running Mags with one out and Lee at the plate last night. Looking at the replay, Mags seemed to be looking in at Lee as he was taking off. In addition, Mags looked confused and a little dismayed after he was thrown out, as if the hit and run was on, and Lee missed the sign (The ball was outside, but Lee has got to protect the runner).

The Sox were putting together a nice little rally
when that play killed the inning, and then killed the game (the sox didn't score after that inning).

I like aggressive baserunning but I don't steal Mags there in a one run game. (easy for me to say, the day after right?)

Brian26
04-21-2004, 01:53 PM
The Sox scored 8 runs. That should have been enough to win. What is a TREMENDOUSLY good sign is that those 8 runs came AFTER the Sox were down by 7 runs. They didn't run away and hide. They showed a lot of guts coming back. With that said, the reason the Sox lost last night is because of walks . :angry:

DaveIsHere
04-21-2004, 01:56 PM
If you look at the replay, that ball was almost a pitch out, that is how far it was outside, and then you have to give some credit to Posada(god I hate that guy) for a great throw down there. If that throw was off a bit Mags would have gotten in there. I'll take my chances running.

sas1974
04-21-2004, 01:58 PM
Yea, I am not sure what happened on that one. Blown hit and run? Run and hit? I do recall reading in regards to Willie that Ozzie does not like to give the "steal sign" because it forces the runner to go on the next pitch as opposed to the "green light" which give the runner a chance to read the pitcher and run at will. Perhaps Maggs felt guilty about not taking second on the throw to the plate, so he decided that he was going to take it via the stolen base. Obviously, we know what happened after that. I think it was just a bad call on Maggs' part to try to take that base w/ Lee up and a chance to take the lead w/ one swing(I believe it was 9-8 at the time).

brewcrew/chisox
04-21-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
The Sox scored 8 runs. That should have been enough to win. What is a TREMENDOUSLY good sign is that those 8 runs came AFTER the Sox were down by 7 runs. They didn't run away and hide. They showed a lot of guts coming back. With that said, the reason the Sox lost last night is because of walks . :angry:

I agree; what fully killed the sox were walks and a seven run 1st inning. I was just interested in the strategy of running Mags that late in such a close game. The way the sox were hitting the ball, and with all of the momentum of their offense, It just seemed a bit unnecessary. Also, if you look at Lee's at bat, he absolutely crushes the first pitch foul; it looked as if Lee was really geared up...the crowd was rocking...and then Mags gets thrown out.

CHISOXFAN13
04-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by brewcrew/chisox
Just wondering what you all thought of running Mags with one out and Lee at the plate last night. Looking at the replay, Mags seemed to be looking in at Lee as he was taking off. In addition, Mags looked confused and a little dismayed after he was thrown out, as if the hit and run was on, and Lee missed the sign (The ball was outside, but Lee has got to protect the runner).

when that play killed the inning, and then killed the game (the sox didn't score after that inning).

I like aggressive baserunning but I don't steal Mags there in a one run game. (easy for me to say, the day after right?)

I tend to agree with you a little bit. Our offense did virtually nothing after that CS. Seemed to deflate the toops a little bit.

jlh0023
04-21-2004, 02:11 PM
That play may have turned the offensive momentum around a bit, but I think it was a good choice for Ozzie to hold to his aggresive offense. We can't start playing conservative baseball every time we get in a deficit, or else we wouldn't have made the comeback we did. He would have been safe probably about 6 or 7 out of 10 attempts on a play like that. If he got a bit of a better jump on the ball we would have had another man in scoring position, and we can't blame the scoreless end of the game directly on that play.

mdep524
04-21-2004, 02:23 PM

I was thinking about that, but I disagree. Carlos looked awful at the plate last night. He couldn't get the runner in from third with less than two outs, and in fact I don't think he ever got the ball out of the infield. Just a bad day for him. So I didn't mind them running Mags. I don't think it had anything to do with the Sox losing.

ode to veeck
04-21-2004, 04:15 PM
nope they did not run themselves outta the game, the pen let them down

Paulwny
04-21-2004, 06:16 PM
Yank announcers mentioned that Lee immediately looked into the dugout, they assumed he missed the hit + run sign.

patbooyah
04-21-2004, 07:19 PM
i've seen prettier hit and runs. like this one, for example:

rahulsekhar
04-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Maggs getting CS hurt, but what was the original killer to that ining was when he hits that ball to the OF, the throw come into the plate (and gets dropped), and he doesnt' advance to 2d. What happened to the "aggressive and smart baserunning"? That actually made me think that Maggs tried to steal on his own - to make up for not getting to 2B initially. But I have not evidence one way or the other.

nasox
04-21-2004, 10:53 PM
i hate to blame the game on the umps because thats not the reasonwe lost, but i have to say the strikezone was very erratic and wasn't solid yesterday

just a thought

kermittheefrog
04-21-2004, 11:01 PM

I agree completely, go conservative on the bases!

batmanZoSo
04-21-2004, 11:21 PM
Yes.