PDA

View Full Version : Are the Yanks going to make the playoffs?

SoxxoS
04-21-2004, 12:01 PM
(This may be a Parking Lot Material)

I am not impressed with the Yankees, AT ALL. I think they may only be a tad better than us, and that is just because they have a closer and a little more pop in their lineup. Their starting pitching is OK as is their bullpen, but in that division, are they going to be able to hang?

The Orioles are no fluke, and they got some major pop in the lineup to stay in games. Matt Riley and Ponson form a good 1/2 punch.

We know about Tampa Bay. They always play teams tough, especially the Yankees.

Boston has to be the big favorite right now, as they have everything they need for a W.S. run.

Toronto has a Cy Young, a decent 2/3 guy in Batista and Lilly/Hentgen. They need to get Delgado healthy and the rest of the lineup needs to do their part, and they will be a darn good team.

Those are the four teams the Yanks are playing interdivision. What are the chances Kevin Brown stays healthy the whole season? If he goes down, I think this will end a (?) year playoff run.

jabrch
04-21-2004, 12:09 PM
at the end of the day, yes that team is too talented not to make the playoffs. Steinbrenner also is too invested in this season to not make it happen. Maybe he goes out and buys Jose Vidro, or gets Carlos Beltran earlier. Maybe he finds a 5th starter? Lieber comes back? Whatever - but there are too many great baseball players on that team to not win the division.

Jorge Posada is a TREMENDOUS ballplayer and gets lost in the shuffle in NY. I have quickly become a Jorge Posada fan over the past few years.

Gumshoe
04-21-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
at the end of the day, yes that team is too talented not to make the playoffs. Steinbrenner also is too invested in this season to not make it happen. Maybe he goes out and buys Jose Vidro, or gets Carlos Beltran earlier. Maybe he finds a 5th starter? Lieber comes back? Whatever - but there are too many great baseball players on that team to not win the division.

Jorge Posada is a TREMENDOUS ballplayer and gets lost in the shuffle in NY. I have quickly become a Jorge Posada fan over the past few years.

I'm not sure if they'll make it. jabrch does point out the usual comment, that King George will go out and get some guys, regardless.

One thing we must remember is that the Yankees are OLD. In fact, they are hold as hell. Mussina is good but has been on a decline. As has been said, will Brown be healthy? I doubt it. Look at the other starters? Pen? It's in decline as well (Gordon? ha!)

As for Posada, dude, he's never hit over .300 in his career. His power numbers are good, but he's also been in a big time bopper lineup, and who are you going to challenge? I'd challenge Posada to beat me over Giambi, Sheff, Bernie, Jeter, etc.

Most importantly, Posada is POOR defensively. He has led the league in passed balls before. I looked for win shares, but I'm not impressed with his D at all. I've seen him many times. I would bet on his defensive win shares being low if I could find that site for 2003 D win shares.

I really think this is the start of a great thing, the relative demise of the NYY. About time!

Gumshoe

Baby Fisk
04-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Boston's got all the pieces to win the AL East. If NY makes the post-season it's as a wild card ... but of course they will be ROUTED by the White Sox in 3 games!

thepaulbowski
04-21-2004, 02:05 PM
My bold prediction in the East is

1. Boston
2. Baltimore
3. New York

Then we play Baltiomore in the first round of the playoffs on our way to a World Series.

(maybe the last statement should be in pink). :D:

Paulwny
04-21-2004, 02:16 PM
I don't believe we have any really good catching prospects on the farm yet, Posada was a ss in the yankmee farm whom they converted to catching.
I guess King George also spends more money on player development then other owners.

soxfan26
04-21-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
(This may be a Parking Lot Material)

I am not impressed with the Yankees, AT ALL. I think they may only be a tad better than us, and that is just because they have a closer and a little more pop in their lineup. Their starting pitching is OK as is their bullpen, but in that division, are they going to be able to hang?

The Orioles are no fluke, and they got some major pop in the lineup to stay in games. Matt Riley and Ponson form a good 1/2 punch.

We know about Tampa Bay. They always play teams tough, especially the Yankees.

Boston has to be the big favorite right now, as they have everything they need for a W.S. run.

Toronto has a Cy Young, a decent 2/3 guy in Batista and Lilly/Hentgen. They need to get Delgado healthy and the rest of the lineup needs to do their part, and they will be a darn good team.

Those are the four teams the Yanks are playing interdivision. What are the chances Kevin Brown stays healthy the whole season? If he goes down, I think this will end a (?) year playoff run.

Relax, it's April 21st.

JRIG
04-21-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
My bold prediction in the East is

1. Boston
2. Baltimore
3. New York

Then we play Baltiomore in the first round of the playoffs on our way to a World Series.

(maybe the last statement should be in pink). :D:

My bold prediction (or maybe not so bold) is the Orioles will finish fourth...again.

SoxxoS
04-21-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by soxfan26
Relax, it's April 21st.

What about my post didn't seem relaxed...I not a Yankee fan... :?:

It's harder and more fun to answer this question now, than August 1st.

TaylorStSox
04-21-2004, 02:22 PM
Their rotation is in big trouble. Having seen Moose a few times this year, I've concluded that he's obviously hurt. A guy doesn't pitch a decade of solid ball and suddenly lose it without having an injury. History tells you that Brown's a serious risk. Contreras is a wild card. Sometimes he looks unhittable. Other times he appears that he doesn't know where he is.

They're weak up the middle defensively. Jeter's overated, Posada has a good arm but that's about it and Williams has lost a step. I love Lofton, always have but I can throw better than him.

Maybe their bats can keep them in it. However, they look like a bloated version of us from the last few years IMO. Big bats. Bad D. Questionable pitching.

Paulwny
04-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
Their rotation is in big trouble. Having seen Moose a few times this year, I've concluded that he's obviously hurt.

Mussina missed 2 wks of st, father inlaw died, yankmee brass feels that he isn't in peak form.

TaylorStSox
04-21-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Mussina missed 2 wks of st, father inlaw died, yankmee brass feels that he isn't in peak form.

Of course he isn't in peak form. He looks horrible. The lack of control is the most worrisome thing, even moreso than the drop in velocity. It points to a mechanics problem that could be brought on from overcompensation due to injury.

wdelaney72
04-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Are the Yanks going to make the playoffs?

In one word... YES.

Until they prove otherwise, count on it. Check your history.

Paulwny
04-21-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
Of course he isn't in peak form. He looks horrible. The lack of control is the most worrisome thing, even moreso than the drop in velocity. It points to a mechanics problem that could be brought on from overcompensation due to injury.

I'll go by what J Kaat has to say, nothing is wrong with Mussina's delivery, velocity on his fast ball is down and he seems afraid to throw it and has started nibbling on the corners of the plate to compensate.

jabrch
04-21-2004, 03:17 PM
What is with Mussina bending over like he is before every pitch? I don't remember that from prior years. It looks really awkward and painful.

Paulwny
04-21-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
What is with Mussina bending over like he is before every pitch? I don't remember that from prior years. It looks really awkward and painful.

He's always pitched this way for ny, not sure about balt.