PDA

View Full Version : chat observation

idseer
04-21-2004, 10:05 AM
it seems every game thread contains suggestions that certain posts be 'taken to chat'. it's been made clear that it's somewhat costly to use a game thread for blow by blow game descriptions and it's completely understandable.
last night i was able to log on during parts of the game and since there was nothing interesting in the thread i went to the chatroom. previously whenever i went to chat there were anywhere between 3 and 8 people in there chatting about the game. this time, however, it was closer to 25 or more, and frankly the discussions, while containing some sox info, was about all kinds of unrelated stuff. and posts were almost machine gun-like. frankly it was not an enjoyable experience for someone who's there to just follow the game.
does anyone else agree with my assessment?

and let me say this isn't a complaint. it's an observation ... and perhaps the real reason some people prefer the thread instead. at least there you're more likely to get a direct answer to direct questions and less spam.

i'm not proposing an answer because i don't have one. if only these 2 choices are available ... and one of those is too expensive, and the other too obnoxious, i don't know what else wsi could provide.

Baby Fisk
04-21-2004, 10:11 AM
When I follow games via *official* threads, it's generally a ballpark-like experience. Sitting around with friends, chatting about what's going on on the field, asking questions, and making cheeky comments.

When I follow games via the chatroom, it's like watching a game on TV in a bar full of hyper people. Everyone's boisterous and everyone's got something to say all at once.

Neither option is perfect, but it's a lot better than having no option at all. Thanks WSI! :cool:

hose
04-21-2004, 10:13 AM
I haven't been in on a live game chat this year , but last year I recall at least one person scoring the game. And if the person scoring had to leave somebody else would take over.

This way the people without access to a live radio/tv broadcast could follow every pitch.

soxtalker
04-21-2004, 11:09 AM
I tried the chat a couple of times in the past week. Quite frankly, it wasn't very enjoyable for me -- largely for the reasons described in the first two posts in this thread. I much prefer the game thread. Now, that isn't so much a criticism of the chat, but it reflects my interests. In fact, I'm glad that there is a chat room, so that type of discussion doesn't migrate over to the game-day thread.

Iwritecode
04-21-2004, 11:22 AM
Since they've played mostly day games so far this year and I haven't been home for the few they played at night, I haven't been to a gametime chat yet this year.

Personally, I like the game thread except for those one and two word posts that tell you nothing about what's giong on in the game.

There's a world of difference between "Maggs doubles to right" and "way to go Maggs!"

I believe the Mods feel about the same way...

SoxxoS
04-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Don't forget...for those with MLB TV, we are on a 3 or 4 second delay, so we start hearing the sound effects or reading "CRAP" then we know something bad happened.

batmanZoSo
04-21-2004, 12:31 PM
If you don't have MLBTV or the radio deal, get it. You can't rely on a chat room to watch a game. Usually it's viva magglio doing the play by play and after every hit or run or home run or big strikeout you got four or five people logging it. It's mostly game talk going on.

A chat room is totally different from a message board. There's always going to be conversation in there to go along with 90% game talk, but if you don't like sound effects and you're looking for a live account of the game you should look elsewhere. If I was out of town and had mlbtv I probably wouldn't chat because everyone else knows what happens a few seconds before you.