PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts 4/21/04

Hangar18
04-21-2004, 09:34 AM
While in the BullPen Bar last nite, noticed a guy wearing a Yankee jersey, and a cub hat. I remarked how he had me
with the Jersey then subsequently Lost me with the Hat.
He gave me a NY attitude by looking at my jacket and saying "and who are you guys?".
I asked how he could wear the jersey of a historically significant franchise, then blow the whole look by wearing the hat of a historically insignificant franchise. I reminded him that the Yanks have 26 world championships, mostly bought, and the cubs havnt won 2 yrs in a row since Nixon was in office. The cub fans in his group were about to Jump in on this, then backed out hearing my argument. NY fan said he grew up in Jersey and wears the cub hat "because I go to 20 games a year at wrigley".
I told him that didnt make any sense, if his buds jump off the brooklyn bridge, would he also? NY fan said I dont make sense. He said he likes them because its "fun" at the ballpark.

Kittle42 ,who was with me commented why did he have to root for anyone else then? I agreed. He didnt win that argument. The cub fans in the group noted how "it was good for baseball" if the cubs won. where have we heard that before?

Baby Fisk
04-21-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
The cub fans in the group noted how "it was good for baseball" if the cubs won.

I'm sick of hearing this crap. Has anyone ever provided any proof, be it empirical/metaphysical/statistical/spiritual or otherwise, that it is "good for baseball" if the Cubs win? What the hell does that even mean?! :angry:

The Cubs have built their entire mythology around being losers. So if the Cubs win, it flies in the face of their precious heritage. Bah!

As for Yankee fans, they are the shallowest, most self-hating group you'll ever meet.

Yes, today is a day for blanket generalizations in the world of Baby Fisk! :cool:

JohnBasedowYoda
04-21-2004, 10:04 AM
I'm starting to think that Hangar will never enjoy any sporting event/trip to the mall/bar hopping/family event ever again.

Can't prove everyone wrong man

Rocky Soprano
04-21-2004, 10:06 AM
Hangar,

I was hoping to meet you last night but I guess I missed you. I was in the Patio Party.

One of these days I have to buy you a beer just because I enjoy your many stories.

Keep on defending the Sox!

duke of dorwood
04-21-2004, 10:32 AM
I'm for Hangar.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-21-2004, 10:37 AM
Yeah does good work...but he must have gian cojones to banter like that with every schulbs goon. There are prolly a few jerks out there that won't listen to reason and prolly try and start some fight or something. Hangar seems to keep his cool pretty well though. I guess i lose my patience with the people that say,"cubs are gonna go to the world series because they get a crowd" or whatever.

bennyw41
04-21-2004, 12:00 PM
I saw a girl in full Cub regalia at the game. Me and my dad stared at her, and she asked where to go for her seats. I told her were to go, and she said someone told her the opposite way. I am just confused. The sox are playing the yankees. What do you prove by wearing all cubs stuff? You prove that you're an idiot? Your not at a cubs game, your team is not in competition with the cubs at us cellular, i just don't get it.

Palehose13
04-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41
I saw a girl in full Cub regalia at the game. Me and my dad stared at her, and she asked where to go for her seats. I told her were to go, and she said someone told her the opposite way. I am just confused. The sox are playing the yankees. What do you prove by wearing all cubs stuff? You prove that you're an idiot? Your not at a cubs game, your team is not in competition with the cubs at us cellular, i just don't get it.

When I was at the game in Tampa last weekend, a family across the aisle from me had on full cubs gear...and held up cheap, given out "go rays" signs and were obviously cheering for the DRays. I was confused also...for chripes sake it was a Sox-Rays game in TAMPA!

SoxOnTop
04-21-2004, 12:21 PM

She must have been related to the handfull of fully Cubbed out fans that were at the D-Rays/Sox game at the Trop. If these are the so called "Chicago Fans" they make me even more sick than Cubs fans. At least Cubs fans have made a choice....

Palehose13
04-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
She must have been related to the handfull of fully Cubbed out fans that were at the D-Rays/Sox game at the Trop. If these are the so called "Chicago Fans" they make me even more sick than Cubs fans. At least Cubs fans have made a choice....

LOL...did we see the same people and then post at the same time?!?!?1

Foulke You
04-21-2004, 01:07 PM

A common sight at Comiskey on 1/2 price nights unfortunately is the Cubs fan in full regalia. I don't get it. Wrigley could have $1.00 ticket night and I still wouldn't go unless they were playing the Sox. It also explains the HR balls being thrown back on 1/2 price nights. Notice, on Opening Day, not ONE of the Royals 4 HR balls were thrown back. If they want to come out, I'll endure them, and we'll use their revenue to help re-sign Maggs. Hopefully...

SoxOnTop
04-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
LOL...did we see the same people and then post at the same time?!?!?1

I think so. Ha!!!

There was some nice Sox support all weekend. I didn't notice whether the Cubs fans I saw were rooting for the D-Rays. Just seeing Cubbie regalia in Tampa gets me steamed.

If I hear, "Oh, you're from Chicago? How 'bout those Cubbies", again I think I'll punch that person.

jlh0023
04-21-2004, 01:27 PM
I asked how he could wear the jersey of a historically significant franchise, then blow the whole look by wearing the hat of a historically insignificant franchise. I reminded him that the Yanks have 26 world championships, mostly bought, and the cubs havnt won 2 yrs in a row since Nixon was in office.

If I saw somebody supporting the Yanks and Cubs, their moral dilema wouldn't be my concern. He is sporting my two most hated teams in baseball, and I would probably pee on him.....twice.

StockdaleForVeep
04-21-2004, 01:33 PM
hangar, im surprised u didnt rally more sox troops to humiliate this new yorker.

Also someone said they dont understand why people would wear cubs stuff to a sox game, well i typically wear my sox gear or opposing team gear when i go to wrigley games(which is a rarity, and only if the tix are free or meaningful)

kittle42
04-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda
I'm starting to think that Hangar will never enjoy any sporting event/trip to the mall/bar hopping/family event ever again.

Can't prove everyone wrong man

Watching him argue in person is like admiring a piece of art.

Mickster
04-21-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by kittle42

Yeah... abstract art.... :D:

SoxFan76
04-21-2004, 04:48 PM
As for wearing Cub gear at a Sox/Yanks game, fine. That doesn't bother me one bit. I wore my Sox hat to Wrigley the few times I've been there, and they weren't playing the Sox. Although, I do have a problem if these people were completely decked out in the crap. Jackets, hats, t-shirts, then I have a problem. Especially those STUPID bucket hats. I hate those things. Everytime I see one it reminds me of a fat Cub fan.

Gumshoe
04-21-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
As for wearing Cub gear at a Sox/Yanks game, fine. That doesn't bother me one bit. I wore my Sox hat to Wrigley the few times I've been there, and they weren't playing the Sox. Although, I do have a problem if these people were completely decked out in the crap. Jackets, hats, t-shirts, then I have a problem. Especially those STUPID bucket hats. I hate those things. Everytime I see one it reminds me of a fat Cub fan.

Guys, seriously, there is no need to wear anything that is not related to the TWO teams playing on the field. Cubs fans do that crap all the time at Comiskey. It's just to rile people up and totally uncalled for. Similarly, it would disappoint me (and has) if I see Sox fans wearing gear to Cubs games in which the Sox are NOT playing. What are you trying to prove going into someone else's house and wearing something that has nothing to do with the two teams that are playing? that is BS

My thoughts (and they are right)

Gummy

ps- I'll never go to a Wrigley game again unless it's free anyway, so I won't see it. Minor league park. Sick of it getting all this BS praise.

balz1472
04-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Disagree on there being no reason to wear your Sox gear to an opposing team's game with an insignificant team... The reason you buy the hat is not so you can only wear it to the game... it is to promote the fact that you are PROUD TO BE A SOX FAN!

I am up in Boston the majority of the week for work and I would say that I think they are given hats at birth... they wear them everywhere... they are PROUD!

US SOX FANS HAVE TO BE PROUD NO MATTER WHERE WE ARE!

I do NOT, however, agree with the idea that you should wear gear from two teams at the same time... pick a side of the fence and stay there!

Had to vent... now... :gulp:

JohnBasedowYoda
04-21-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by kittle42

Haha cool, i missed him (or anyone else) that showed up for the home opener. I met Steff, she was nice. Hopefully i can meat all of you guys at a game sometime....and see hangar in a verbal fight with a hapless schlubs fan

chisoxmike
04-21-2004, 05:52 PM
Hangar, keep up the good fight., I enjoyed talking to you last night. I hope to see you and everyone at the park this season!