PDA

View Full Version : JR's son new marketing director?

poorme
04-21-2004, 09:54 AM
From an article in the Tribune. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/chi-0404210146apr21,1,2718047.column?coll=chi-business-hed)

The White Sox didn't announce a replacement, though Reinsdorf's son, real estate developer Michael Reinsdorf, surfaced as a possible candidate. Michael Reinsdorf couldn't be reached Tuesday. He has been sitting in on marketing meetings in recent months but denied to the Tribune last month that he was thinking about working for the organization.

Rocky Soprano
04-21-2004, 10:00 AM
WOW, This is exactly what we need! YES!

Hangar18
04-21-2004, 10:16 AM
No wonder hes been hanging out at Comiskey the last few months .......... All makes sense now. We went from Bad to Worse ..........

DrCrawdad
04-21-2004, 10:17 AM
http://www.dailyherald.com/images/head_dailyherald.gif

http://www.dailyherald.com/images/sports/mug_imrem.jpg

For the White Sox, though, it is a big deal because his successor might be more important than anybody in the organization.

If Jerry Reinsdorf is serious about making the Sox all they can be, he should conduct a nationwide search for a marketing genius.

link (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_imrem.asp?intid=38098221)

I agree! Hire the best!

34 Inch Stick
04-21-2004, 10:34 AM
He would not have to look far. The Bulls do an excellent job of selling their team even under the most difficult of circumstances.

sas1974
04-21-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I agree! Hire the best!

:reinsy
"Whoa! Whoa! The "best?" That sounds expensive."

npdempse
04-21-2004, 11:10 AM
Is Mike Veeck doing anything these days besides running that minor league franchise with Jimmy Fallon?

CubKilla
04-21-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
No wonder hes been hanging out at Comiskey the last few months .......... All makes sense now. We went from Bad to Worse ..........

No one really thought JR would hire the best qualified with a proven track record of bringing fans to the venue with clever promotions and a solid marketing gimmick did you?

"Decisions, decisions. Do I go with the best qualified or cheapest alternative? Hmmmmm..... "

sas1974
04-21-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by npdempse
Is Mike Veeck doing anything these days besides running that minor league franchise with Jimmy Fallon?

How are relations between Reinsdorf and the Veecks? Does anyone have any idea? I would guess that they are not too good after some of the things that were reportedly said by Jerry/Eddie about that state of the team when they bought it.

santo=dorf
04-21-2004, 11:35 AM

"Any former White Sox players want a job in marketing?"

soxnut
04-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

So, if they hire MR, and then implements your ideas, would you still say that??

soxtalker
04-21-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by poorme
From an article in the Tribune. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/chi-0404210146apr21,1,2718047.column?coll=chi-business-hed)

The White Sox didn't announce a replacement, though Reinsdorf's son, real estate developer Michael Reinsdorf, surfaced as a possible candidate. Michael Reinsdorf couldn't be reached Tuesday. He has been sitting in on marketing meetings in recent months but denied to the Tribune last month that he was thinking about working for the organization.

MR becoming the head of marketing is one explanation for his appearance at recent marketing meetings. Another is that JR may have wanted another opinion if he was thinking of dismissing a long-time employee.

MR as marketing head would make sense if JR is trying to get him more involved in the business. I can't say that I'd have a lot of confidence that he'd bring in fresh ideas, though it would probably be wrong to assume that he simply will implement whatever JR wants. In fact, he might be able to implement changes that an outsider could not.

soxnut
04-21-2004, 12:35 PM
Considering that they White Sox have hired Burson-Marstellar as their public relations firm, I think they will hire the best. For those of you who don't think JR likes to spend or waste money, I don't think he'd bother with a pr firm then.

Lip Man 1
04-21-2004, 01:30 PM
That's a good question about the relationship between the Veeck's and the Reinsdorf's. I don't think it's the best and remember, (I'm sure good ole Uncle Jerry will), that Mike Veeck was the driving force behind Disco Demolition. It was his idea.

I think his being hired is a long shot.

Also I know the public reaction has never bothered good ole Uncle Jerry, but if he hires his son to head up the PR / marketing staff wait till you see the headlines in the papers and read the columnists. It'll be a blood bath.

Just exactly the type of PR the Sox need.

Lip

CubKilla
04-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
That's a good question about the relationship between the Veeck's and the Reinsdorf's. I don't think it's the best and remember, (I'm sure good ole Uncle Jerry will), that Mike Veeck was the driving force behind Disco Demolition. It was his idea.

I think his being hired is a long shot.

Also I know the public reaction has never bothered good ole Uncle Jerry, but if he hires his son to head up the PR / marketing staff wait till you see the headlines in the papers and read the columnists. It'll be a blood bath.

Just exactly the type of PR the Sox need.

Lip

I don't know about Mike Veeck but I recall Bill wasn't thrilled when JR acquired the team and talked about turning the White Sox into a first-class Organization.

soxnut
04-21-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I don't know about Mike Veeck but I recall Bill wasn't thrilled when JR acquired the team and talked about turning the White Sox into a first-class Organization.

I could have sworn that someone on this site mentioned that Eddie Einhorn apologized to Bill Veeck for those remarks.

Lip Man 1
04-21-2004, 10:15 PM
That was me and I posted the story with those comments. However Bill remained deeply offended and refused the entreaties making only one final appearance at Comiskey until he died, that was the 83 All Star Game.

Bill could be stubborn. with him it became a matter of principle because he wanted to sell the team to DeBartolo in the first place. He always felt that Reinsdorf was 'forced' on him by the other owners.

Lip

ShoelessFred
04-23-2004, 02:02 AM
this is jerry reinsdorf we are talking about. in jerry's mind there is only one person he would hire.

HAROLD BAINES.

wdelaney72
04-23-2004, 09:27 AM
Once again, it all comes down to winning. If the team wins, the team markets itself.