PDA

View Full Version : Retired Numbers

Stoky44
04-20-2004, 11:47 PM
Just wondering what everyone thought about the retired players numbers on the wall? I kinda liked it, it turned out better than I thought. I wasn't at the game and only got a quick glimpse on TV. I am sure there will be some complaints, but overall I think it looked good.

voodoochile
04-20-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44
Just wondering what everyone thought about the retired players numbers on the wall? I kinda liked it, it turned out better than I thought. I wasn't at the game and only got a quick glimpse on TV. I am sure there will be some complaints, but overall I think it looked good.

Yeah, I only caught background shots of them, but looks great.

FJA
04-20-2004, 11:59 PM
I thought it looked great. This time next year, we're going to have ourselves some good lookin' ballpark.

StillMissOzzie
04-21-2004, 12:13 AM
I saw it on the NBC local news, and I thought they looked GREAT!

SMO
:gulp:

soxnut
04-21-2004, 12:22 AM
Looks good to me. :smile:

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-21-2004, 12:37 AM
They were awesome. Although, I don't see why they had to wait until last night to unveil them!

pinwheels3530
04-21-2004, 12:54 AM
I knew it, it never fails that a sox fan say somethingd negative, maybe they wanted to wait for a bigger crowd.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-21-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
I knew it, it never fails that a sox fan say somethingd negative, maybe they wanted to wait for a bigger crowd.
Fisk was there on opening day and he couldn't make it for last night's unveiling. That's the reason why I wondered why they just didn't do it last week. It was a nice ceremony, but it was raining and most of the fans were on the concourse and not in the stands so they couldn't see it.

bartmanisgod
04-21-2004, 01:06 AM
The wall looked awesome! The stadium looked beautiful! I wish it was a little more dry and we could pick up a win!

The Critic
04-21-2004, 04:18 AM
Who knows why they waited until tonight? Maybe they wanted to have a team with the history of the Spankees in the building rather than the Royals? Maybe they didn't want to pile on any more pre-game to Opening Day, which has enough pre-game stuff anyway? Maybe they were hoping that a big crowd would come out on a Tuesday night in April?

Whatever the case may be, I thought they did a nice job with it - the portraits are a nice touch.

SSN721
04-21-2004, 05:59 AM
I was kind of worried when I first heard it described with the images of the players behind the numbers. But was very pleased when I saw it at the game last night, I thought that they looked great myself. Wish I could have made it to the park in time to catch the ceremony.

LuvSox
04-21-2004, 06:20 AM
The wall looks awesome. One of the local sportscasters (I forget which one as I was drinking :gulp: ) said the place looks "warmer" now.

DrummerGeorgefan
04-21-2004, 07:34 AM
I saw only the Nellie Fox one. I am pleased they kept his signature "wad of tobacky" in his cheek.

wdelaney72
04-21-2004, 08:02 AM
I only saw Nellie, as well. If someone has a picture, please post.

Fisk72
04-21-2004, 08:18 AM
Ok, I'll be the devil's advocate and say that they could've used a better pic for Fisk. However, that's just b/c I'm biased. :) I have to admit the Sox got it right by doing this, though. The way they had them displayed before didn't do them any justice. I'd like to think that after seeing these during highlights on ESPN, non-Sox fans might be interested to see who these players were and look them up.

Brian26
04-21-2004, 08:39 AM
Add me to the list who thinks the wall looks very nice. It's a nice touch rather than just having their number up on the wall (like in Old Comiskey) or their name and number on the facade of the club level.

Fisk72
04-21-2004, 10:44 AM
Does anybody know where I can find a picture to send my brother who's out of town?

Baby Fisk
04-21-2004, 10:47 AM
I hate griping along with Fisk72, but we have an obvious bias. I agree that Fisk could have had a better image. But I still love the wall! :D:

Anyone have any pix or links?

soxnut
04-21-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Fisk72
I have to admit the Sox got it right by doing this, though. The way they had them displayed before didn't do them any justice. I'd like to think that after seeing these during highlights on ESPN, non-Sox fans might be interested to see who these players were and look them up.

I agree with your comments. I hope that viewers will become interested in the mystery that is the White Sox. :cool:

duke of dorwood
04-21-2004, 10:59 AM
I like that it's visible on TV broadcasts and a reminder of our great history.

soxnut
04-21-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by LuvSox
The wall looks awesome. One of the local sportscasters (I forget which one as I was drinking :gulp: ) said the place looks "warmer" now.

On the WGN news, Dan Roan had script that was talking about the retired numbers and ceremony, but the whoever is in charge of rolling tape didn't show it. So he had to skip over that, then he started talking about the game, showing the Yankees taking the lead, the script then comes to the part about the Sox making a comeback---don't roll that tape, and they start going into the Cubs highlights, and Roan says, "well I guess we'll talk about the Cubs night in Pittsburgh..." :angry:

But from what I saw on tv, I think it does make the park look warmer, very familiar, a White Sox ballpark.... :smile:

DrummerGeorgefan
04-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Do they have enough space to add more numbers in the future? Looking forward to Frank, others

Fisk72
04-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by DrummerGeorgefan
Do they have enough space to add more numbers in the future? Looking forward to Frank, others

I believe the entire right field wall is reserved for Uncle Jerry! :smile:

Foulke You
04-21-2004, 11:58 AM
The wall looks great. Brings a sense of history to our ballpark that was missing before. An American League Charter Member deserves as much. Now, they just need to add a picture of Shoeless Joe Jackson up there and it will be perfect. I know he didn't wear a number, nobody did back then, but he deserves to be recognized.

Does anyone know why he doesn't get recognized? Is it because of the Black Sox scandal or is it because he doesn't have a number?

Baby Fisk
04-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Now, they just need to add a picture of Shoeless Joe Jackson up there and it will be perfect. I know he didn't wear a number, nobody did back then, but he deserves to be recognized.

Does anyone know why he doesn't get recognized? Is it because of the Black Sox scandal or is it because he doesn't have a number?

I was thinking that too last night. Joe Jackson, even if MLB maintains his pariah status in its eyes, deserves to be recognized in Chicago. I wonder if the Sox organization's silence on Jackson is because MLB would crap on them if he got any kind of public tribute. Shameful. He deserves to be not only recognized, but embraced and cherished. Is there any recognition of Shoeless Joe anywhere within USCF?

Lip Man 1
04-21-2004, 12:19 PM
Rohn's sports lasted all of about 40 seconds last night. The tornadoes in Joliet caused WGN News to take his time and they literally were cutting his stories as he was trying to do them. (Of course they cut his stories because they had to get in those 4 minutes of commericials right before they went to him!)

It wasn't his fault, I've been there and literally you do whatever the producers tell you to do through your earpiece.

Lip

Brian26
04-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72
I believe the entire right field wall is reserved for Uncle Jerry! :smile:

I noticed last night something looks different along the rightfield wall near the bullpen bar. Is the ARMITRON sign now officially gone?

anewman35
04-21-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I noticed last night something looks different along the rightfield wall near the bullpen bar. Is the ARMITRON sign now officially gone?

There's a couple ads missing this year (most notably, there's no ad on the bottom of the scoreboard - this would be a perfect place to have an inning by inning line score of the game (like the old board used to, and like they now have in left), but I'm sure they'll just use it for more ads (and if they reason they aren't using it for a board is to help with the batter's eye, that's cool I guess, but they could at least put in another board and use it between innings).

They've been known to put in ads mid-year, so things might change.

skobabe8
04-21-2004, 02:54 PM
4 quick things...

1) I was very pleased with the retired numbers and images on the wall in left. I never really liked it at Dodgers Stadium, but for some reason, ours looks alot better.

2) They definately left enough room in left center for future additions. that is obvious when you see it for yourself.

3) I totally agree with all of you that said Shoeless Joe needs to be recognized. For us to have a player of that magnitude in our tems history and not have a peice of the outfield wall with his name on it isnt right.

4) Stop throwing the other teams home run balls back! If you dont want it, give it to a little kid! I'm sure he or she would love a souvenir like that!

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-21-2004, 02:55 PM

i dont know if this still is on the outside of the park, but last few years they had those huge photos of frank, fisk, joe jackson, and a few others above one of the gates. if they can put a tribute to him there than i see no reason why the can't on the wall.

sas1974
04-21-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by skobabe8
4) Stop throwing the other teams home run balls back! If you dont want it, give it to a little kid! I'm sure he or she would love a souvenir like that!

Did someone actually do that in our house? That is ridiculous! The Cell isn't Wrigley.

When did that stupid tradition start anyway? I don't recall. And when did it become ok to hurl something onto the field? Anyone throwing ANYTHING onto the field should be tossed out.

sas1974
04-21-2004, 03:02 PM

I would guess it's because he was tossed out of baseball.

This might be a dumb question, but is Pete Roses' number retired in Philly or Cinci?

soxnut
04-21-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Rohn's sports lasted all of about 40 seconds last night. The tornadoes in Joliet caused WGN News to take his time and they literally were cutting his stories as he was trying to do them. (Of course they cut his stories because they had to get in those 4 minutes of commericials right before they went to him!)

It wasn't his fault, I've been there and literally you do whatever the producers tell you to do through your earpiece.

Lip

I know it wasn't his fault. It just seems typical it happens to the Sox, that's all.

Baby Fisk
04-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
This might be a dumb question, but is Pete Roses' number retired in Philly or Cinci?

Philadelphia retired numbers:
1 - Richie Ashburn
14 - Jim Bunning
20 - Mike Schmidt (also has a statue outside new ballpark)
32 - Steve Carlton
36 - Robin Roberts
also: Grover Cleveland Alexander and Chuck Klein (no #s)

Cincinnati retired numbers:
1 - Fred Hutchinson (mgr)
5 - Johnny Bench
8 - Joe Morgan
18 - Ted Kluszewski
20 - Frank Robinson
20 - Tony Perez

skobabe8
04-21-2004, 03:35 PM
Someone threw Posadas HR back last light. Someone with a good arm, cuz that sucker was waaaaay out, BTW.

MarqSox
04-21-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Did someone actually do that in our house? That is ridiculous! The Cell isn't Wrigley.

When did that stupid tradition start anyway? I don't recall. And when did it become ok to hurl something onto the field? Anyone throwing ANYTHING onto the field should be tossed out.
Happens just about every game I go to. What gets me is there's more people yelling for him to throw it back than people yelling for him not to. It's bizarre.

HITMEN OF 77
04-21-2004, 05:05 PM
The wall looks good and they had a nice little cermony before the game for the retired players and family.

ZachAL
04-21-2004, 05:55 PM
Now, they just need to add a picture of Shoeless Joe Jackson up there and it will be perfect. I know he didn't wear a number, nobody did back then, but he deserves to be recognized.

You are definately right about this one. It's actually interesting because in one of my University courses yesterday we had to design a memorial to anything we wanted, mine was to the eight men thrown out (my professor was a big fan of it by the way, phew). Anyway, regardless of most of our bias views on the event I feel there should be something for Joe Jackson, and depending on how each individual person feels about the subject it would dictate whether or not is was in honor of Jackson or a rememberance of a stained past. It would be a different experience for each individual based on their beliefs on the event. There should be a plaque somewhere near it too, dictating ONLY facts about his numbers and the black sox story, so individuals could make their own opinion, rather than be fed a story.

But there definately should be something in HIS OWN park honoring him, I mean I know he was inducted into the Cleveland Baseball Hall of Fame, so why not here? This IS the same man who has the third highest career BA of all time among other things. Lets show some respect to our history.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-21-2004, 06:06 PM
sorry the pick was bad. but joe's in the upper-right. He might also be in those new "montage" pics they got on the walls by the concession stands in the ud. those are cool by the way.

row18
04-21-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by skobabe8
4 quick things...

1) I was very pleased with the retired numbers and images on the wall in left. I never really liked it at Dodgers Stadium, but for some reason, ours looks alot better.

2) They definately left enough room in left center for future additions. that is obvious when you see it for yourself.

3) I totally agree with all of you that said Shoeless Joe needs to be recognized. For us to have a player of that magnitude in our tems history and not have a peice of the outfield wall with his name on it isnt right.

right on!

RedPinStripes
04-22-2004, 07:28 PM
I really like what they did. Now i have to eat crow for ripping jerry for taking them down for advertisements. Maybe posts like that is what brought them back?

I didnt even thinkof it opening day when i saw the left center wall. The cover on the padding looked kind of unfinished and loose. Makes sense why it looked like that. It was coming off real soon.

Sice Job Jerry! :gulp: