PDA

View Full Version : Rain delays back in the day

Railsplitter
04-20-2004, 10:45 PM
Anybody remember, especially in the mid-to-late seventies, when you'd see baseball highlight films during Sox rain delays? Any favorites?

Clembasbal
04-20-2004, 11:07 PM
Yeah I remember them, they even did them in the late 80's.

My favorite has to be the one with Gary Carter (On the Mets) and Bob Uecker. They played each other in HomeRun Derby and Gary Carter hit more lefthanded than Uecker did at all.

TornLabrum
04-20-2004, 11:40 PM
I go back a lot farther than that. Back in the '50s and '60s, Channel 9 used to show a 15 minute program called "Time Out for Sports" during rain delays.

The show was hosted by Marty Glickman (fans of the Olympics might remember the name from the '30s) and each small segment was introduced by a cartoon (still, not animated) by Willard Mullin, who was a pretty fair sports cartoonist back in the day. (I think he may have been the person who drew the classic representation of the Brooklyn Dodgers bum.)

The show made liberal used of old newsreel footage. I still can remember segments on Bob Feller's futile quest to win a World Series game, and some guy (pre-Woody Hayes) coming off the bench to tackle a runner in a college football game.

I can still hear Glickman's voice with his New Yawk accent.

Stoky44
04-21-2004, 12:55 AM
I haven't seen players dive across a wet tarp in years. I always thought that looked cool, like a giant slip and slide.

soxnut
04-21-2004, 01:09 AM
Quite often they used to show the 1959 World Series highlight reel with Vin Scully as narrator. I always thought that was a good way to show us younger fans some of the history of the White Sox. This Week In Baseball with Mel Allen was fun to watch also.

What they show now during a rain delay is ridiculous. I love the King of Queens, but it has nothing to do with baseball. And that show on Fox is not worth watching either. Why bother show these shows during a rain delay? If you're a baseball fan, why would you want to watch this other stuff? And if you're someone who is a fan of the other shows and not baseball, you're going to turn the channel when the delay is over.

I hope when the new Comcast Chicago Sports starts, they show baseball shows during delays.

DrummerGeorgefan
04-21-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Stoky44
I haven't seen players dive across a wet tarp in years. I always thought that looked cool, like a giant slip and slide.

I agree. I fondly remember those mid to late 80s rain delay clip shows. You couldnt have a rain delay without Rick Dempsey sliding across the tarps and hearing "How about that!"

Railsplitter
04-21-2004, 08:43 AM
The 1975 All-Star game is one of my faves. Somehow, the Sox put three guys on the squad (Jim Katt, Rich Gossage, and Bucky Dent) and considering the latter two had thier best days elsewhere and later, thier selection to that team was somewhat prophetic.

Railsplitter
04-21-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

The show was hosted by Marty Glickman (fans of the Olympics might remember the name from the '30s) and each small segment was introduced by a cartoon (still, not animated) by Willard Mullin, who was a pretty fair sports cartoonist back in the day. (I think he may have been the person who drew the classic representation of the Brooklyn Dodgers bum.)

The show made liberal used of old newsreel footage. I still can remember segments on Bob Feller's futile quest to win a World Series game, and some guy (pre-Woody Hayes) coming off the bench to tackle a runner in a college football game.

Glickman went to Berlin in 1936 but didn't compete because USOC boss Avery Brundage had offered to have his construction firm built a new German embassy in Washington in exchange for staving off a boycott. He overruled the coach and had Glickman and another Jewish runner benched so as not to upset Hitler.

As for literally coming off the bench to make a tackle, That's Alabama's Tommy Lewis in the Cotton Bowl (1953 or 54) to takle Rice's Dicky Moegle.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-21-2004, 09:07 AM
I haven't been around long enough to experience that, sadly all they play now is fresh prince or some crap. Sometimes the U will play stooges, but you have to be lucky i guess.

I'm a big fan of rain delay theater on the radio broadcast. Nothing like two guys killing time.

Sad
04-21-2004, 09:23 AM
I was watching a game a week or so back on my DirecTV Extra Innings package... anyways I can't remember the exact game but during the rain delay they were playing an old interview w/ Aparicio & other SOX alumni... it was pretty interesting.

Brian26
04-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Growing up in the late 70's to mid 80's, I think I learned more about baseball by watching the classic highlight videos during rain delays on Channel 9 than anywhere else. Even though I was a Sox fan, I'd still have the Cubs game on during the day. I remember all the classics...the '75 World Series...the '77 World Series....the '72 Series...they even showed '59 Series. What All-Star Game did Reggie hit the light pole at Tiger Stadium? 1974?

haganaga
04-21-2004, 10:38 AM
I remember during rain delays when they'd play highlights from past LCS and World Series. They'd show each game's highlights and after each game a plane would swoop in next to the team that won signifying each win they had in the series. Anyone else remember that?

duke of dorwood
04-21-2004, 11:30 AM
They lose tons of viewers with that Fresh Prince or other UPN crap shows. I totally lost touch with last nights game and out of the baseball frame of mind watching hockey on ESPN

santo=dorf
04-21-2004, 11:39 AM

Koch and Buehrle were doing it last year. Remember when people were complaining about the possible of Buehrle getting injured?

RichFitztightly
04-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
Koch and Buehrle were doing it last year. Remember when people were complaining about the possible of Buehrle getting injured?

HaHa doesn't seem like anybody was too worried about Koch. Hmmmm, I wonder why that is?

JohnBasedowYoda
04-21-2004, 11:48 AM

:reinsy
"hmmmm giant slip and slide. Snap! i got it! when it rains i'll charge 4 lucky fans $1000.54 to ride the tarp during rain delays! And for an extra 500 they can even lug it back in"

DrummerGeorgefan
04-21-2004, 12:07 PM
What/who originated the slip and slide thing in MLB. Anyone have info?

jackbrohamer
04-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Growing up in the late 70's to mid 80's, I think I learned more about baseball by watching the classic highlight videos during rain delays on Channel 9 than anywhere else. Even though I was a Sox fan, I'd still have the Cubs game on during the day. I remember all the classics...the '75 World Series...the '77 World Series....the '72 Series...they even showed '59 Series. What All-Star Game did Reggie hit the light pole at Tiger Stadium? 1974?

Channel 9 often showed a highlight film from the 1948 World Series between Cleveland and the Boston Braves. Bob Elsen narrated it in a great 1940s style (e.g., calling the Cleveland Indian's stadium the "Big Wigwam")

Lip Man 1
04-21-2004, 01:47 PM
The 1948 WS film was narrated by Jack Brickhouse...that's why Channel 9 showed it often.

The 1975 All Star Sox included the three names mentioned PLUS George Orta. Katt was on the team because he was a 20 game winner in 74 and would win 20 again in 75. Orta was a .300 hundred hitter. Gossage would be American League Fireman Of The Year in 75 and Bucky......well we liked Bucky.

To those who want to know more about the Sox of the 70's here's a link:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2361

Reggie Jackson hit his blast off Dock Ellis in the 71 All Star Game from Detroit.

Lip

Orta 4-6-3
04-21-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Growing up in the late 70's to mid 80's, I think I learned more about baseball by watching the classic highlight videos during rain delays on Channel 9 than anywhere else. Even though I was a Sox fan, I'd still have the Cubs game on during the day. I remember all the classics...the '75 World Series...the '77 World Series....the '72 Series...they even showed '59 Series. What All-Star Game did Reggie hit the light pole at Tiger Stadium? 1974? :gulp: Jackson hit that homer in '71, the last time the AL won until '83 in Comiskey.

I remember Channel 9 showing the 1948 Series (Indians-Braves) quite a bit, with Bob Elson and dubbed in bat cracks. Another one they played often was the '59 Series, with Vin Scully doing narration.

As for more recent vintage, '71 (Pirates-Orioles), '74 (A's-Dodgers), and '75 (Reds-Red Sox) were in heavy rain delay rotation. I also remember from the '80s some lame highight show, with two or three co-hosts and bad background music.
I don't recall if it were a SportsChannel or MLB production.

Going back to Channel 32 days ('68-'72), they had "Rain Delay Theatre", with the opening graphic being a ballplayer on a stool, holding an umbrella, and watching a tiny TV.

jackbrohamer
04-21-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The 1948 WS film was narrated by Jack Brickhouse...that's why Channel 9 showed it often.

You sure? I know Brickhouse narrated the 1954 WS film they often showed but I've seen the '48 one at least 20 times & I'd swear it was Bob Elsen.

TornLabrum
04-21-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
Channel 9 often showed a highlight film from the 1948 World Series between Cleveland and the Boston Braves. Bob Elsen narrated it in a great 1940s style (e.g., calling the Cleveland Indian's stadium the "Big Wigwam")

And pronouncing Lou Boudreau's name "BUD-row." And it was definitely Elson narrating.