PDA

View Full Version : Doug Pappas On the Sox new idea.

Dadawg_77
04-20-2004, 03:56 PM
Tuesday, April 20, 2004
ChiSox Deals Put Fans on the Field

Street & Smith's SportsBusiness Journal reports that the Chicago White Sox are set to announce new promotions that will actually allow well-heeled fans onto the field during games.

Two fans per game will be allowed to pay $1,500 for the privilege of dragging the infield. Two more will be allowed to pay $1,000 each for the honor of changing first and third bases during the fifth inning. For $1,500, one fan will be allowed to deliver the lineup card to the umpire.

Think of the opportunities! How much would you pay to be allowed to mop the dugout floor after the game, make the traditional pregame "don't throw things or run onto the field" announcement over the public address system, or deliver new baseballs to the plate umpire?

The Sox are also renting a 20-seat "All-Star Suite" for $10,000/game, which includes a ballpark tour and a chance to meet club management and former players. For $5,000, ten adults and ten children can take batting practice on off days.

http://roadsidephotos.com/baseball/bbblog.htm

MRKARNO
04-20-2004, 04:51 PM
I really hope this idea left with Rob Gallas unless it means that we will reap the benefits in terms of additions to the payroll

poorme
04-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Two fans per game will be allowed to pay $1,500 for the privilege of dragging the infield.

Where do I sign up???!

JohnBasedowYoda
04-20-2004, 05:05 PM
we are basically whoring out our team. it's a cool idea, but shouldn't be every game. maybe have a raffle to get the chance to do that in a future game or something like that.

maybe i'm just bitter because i could never afford it. but i'm a baseball purist and don't really care for it. in my own opinion

pudge
04-20-2004, 05:10 PM
This is some of the dumbest stuff I've ever heard... who ever pays money for this is either, A) a moron or B) has way too much extra cash.

poorme
04-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Can it be a moron with too much cash?

na_na_na_na
04-20-2004, 05:13 PM
The Batting Practice thing isn't that bad of a deal. 500 bucks for you and your kid to take batting pratice in a big league park with nine of his friends and fathers. Sounds like a memory.

Hokiesox
04-20-2004, 05:14 PM
I give them kudos for at least trying. But this is pretty stupid.

voodoochile
04-20-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by pudge
This is some of the dumbest stuff I've ever heard... who ever pays money for this is either, A) a moron or B) has way too much extra cash.

Okay, so morons with extra cash will be giving it to the Sox. Why do you think that's a bad idea?

Heck, if I had the money, I'd do it. Not the field dragging but some of the other stuff doesn't sound so bad.

MRKARNO
04-20-2004, 05:23 PM
I just think that it kinda takes away from the overall ballpark experience when you have fans taking part in critical tasks. I actually have the Crains article in front of me and this is info from it, but not the entire article for copyright reasons:

"Team officials envision a "seven-figure" revenue stream from selling the rights to perform on-field tasks --like dragging the infield, changing the bases and delivering the lineup card to the umpire--to high-rollers and corporations.

"'Our biggest challenge is finding new revenue streams,' says Rob Gallas, the team's senior vice-president for marketing. 'And access is our most valuable asset, besides the team.'

All Star Suite:
$10,000
-Meet with White Sox executives and front office staff; in-game visits from ex-Sox stars
-Twenty guests watch batting practice from the field level and get a tour of ballpark
-Also includes parking, a glass of champagne in the suite, food and beverages and onfield souvenir photo for each guest

Off Day Batting Practice:
$5,000
-Get onfield batting practice and a catered picnic for 10 adults and 10 children on an off day
-Also includes use of the visitors' clubhouse and a visit by a former White Sox player

Deliver lineup card to umpires
$1,500
-Deliver lineup card to the umpires just before the game starts
-Also includes two seats right behinf the SOx dugout, VIP parking, dinner for two

Drag the infield
$1,500
-Drag the infield in the fourth inning
-Also includes pre-game onfield training session with the grounds crew, six seats, parking

Change a base
$1,000
-Change first or third base during the fifth inning
-Also includes four house seats, parking, a pre-game onfield practice session

The only one that kinda degrades the game is the lineup card one, but I'm sure it'd be cool as hell. That all-star suite is gonna be a hit with corporations. Maybe the Sox are going to look foolish and get ridiculed or maybe they are starting the newest trend along the lines of a guest throwing out the first pitch. Somewhere in between I'd bet.

poorme
04-20-2004, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with it if the money went for charity, but this is absurd.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-20-2004, 05:28 PM
What? No White House coffees? No sleeping over in the Reinsdorf bedroom?

What a gip...

:cool:

SoxxoS
04-20-2004, 05:29 PM
:reinsy

"Wait a minute. Are you telling me you pay me $1,500, and YOU rake the field? This is the best day of my life."

MRKARNO
04-20-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

"Wait a minute. Are you telling me you pay me $1,500, and YOU rake the field? This is the best day of my life."

LOL!!!!!!!!

Daver
04-20-2004, 05:31 PM
I wonder if the next idea is to cut up and sell pieces of game worn underwear.

The whole scheme reeks of absurdity,I thought Gallas quit........

Dadawg_77
04-20-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda
we are basically whoring out our team. it's a cool idea, but shouldn't be every game. maybe have a raffle to get the chance to do that in a future game or something like that.

maybe i'm just bitter because i could never afford it. but i'm a baseball purist and don't really care for it. in my own opinion

What do you think business is?

samram
04-20-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Okay, so morons with extra cash will be giving it to the Sox. Why do you think that's a bad idea?

Morons giving cash to their team has led to ninety-six years of futility on the other side of town.

batmanZoSo
04-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Where do I sign up???!

Where do I sign up?

jackbrohamer
04-20-2004, 05:49 PM

Like, say, ballplayers? They already get to go on the field so there goes the target market

southsidegirl
04-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Daver
I wonder if the next idea is to cut up and sell pieces of game worn underwear.

The whole scheme reeks of absurdity,I thought Gallas quit........

$500 FOR A PAIR OF JON GARLAND'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerko
04-20-2004, 06:09 PM

Yes indeed

:tool

DSpivack
04-20-2004, 07:56 PM
I'd rather pay $2,000 to wash the team uniforms.

voodoochile
04-20-2004, 08:24 PM

*****!

POTW! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13&id=2480)

Thunderstruck30
04-20-2004, 09:25 PM
So I have to pay someone else to do a job? This is ri-God damn-diculous.

jortafan
04-20-2004, 11:00 PM
So would the next step be that for $25,000, you can actually play a game for the White Sox? How about it, a one-time cash payment to JR and I can pitch an inning of relief for the Sox.

On the other hand, I'd better not speak this idea too loudly, or else JR will get ideas and replace his "high-priced talent" with free ballplayers.

StillMissOzzie
04-21-2004, 01:10 AM

"Do I get to lay off a groundskeeper too?"

Irishlawyer
04-21-2004, 08:24 AM
How much for me to clean JR's personal bathroom and wipe his ass?

I'd be more inclined to give him my $100 that I would spend on tickets, parking, beer, food, etc. and get to go up to his private box and have him kick me in the ass.

I would get a red mark to remember it by and wouldn't have to sit through the game.

jabrch
04-21-2004, 11:17 AM
The Suite and Batting Practice ones look like good ideas. The others look dopey. Is someone really going to pay $1500 to rake the IF? I doubt that - come on?

jabrch
04-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Now here's a better idea - how much would you pay for the privlidge of kicking JR in the ass? $1000? $1500? $2500? How bout a kick in the nuts? We might get up to $10,000 from someone there, right?

SoxxoS
04-21-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Now here's a better idea - how much would you pay for the privlidge of kicking JR in the ass? $1000? $1500? $2500? How bout a kick in the nuts? We might get up to $10,000 from someone there, right?

Now THAT would be an interesting promotion.

Where were you on that one, Gallas?

StillMissOzzie
04-23-2004, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by jabrch

Kick JR in the ass..........................................$1,00 0
Kick JR in the ass w/ running start................$2,500
Kick JR in the ass w/ running start & steel-toed boots........$5,000

SMO
:smile:

ChiSoxBobette
04-23-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
http://roadsidephotos.com/baseball/bbblog.htm

I think that happened last night there was some guy at home plate with the White Sox coach going over the lineup cards the guy had jeans on and a throwback White Sox jersey.

Jerko
04-23-2004, 09:35 AM
Do you only have to pay $750 to drag the infield on half-price nights? That's the only way I'd be able to do it and that's why attendance is so bad.

batmanZoSo
04-23-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
Do you only have to pay $750 to drag the infield on half-price nights? That's the only way I'd be able to do it and that's why attendance is so bad.

It's too risky to allow "anyone" to go on the field, by making it affordable. The William Ligues of the world could (and would) scrounge up 500 for a chance to do something stupid. It's discrimination but it's necessary to an extent. They surely don't want to take any chances given our recent fan history.

TDog
04-23-2004, 12:58 PM
This idea just sounds like something the Cubs would do. Only they would charge more.

ewokpelts
04-23-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
I think that happened last night there was some guy at home plate with the White Sox coach going over the lineup cards the guy had jeans on and a throwback White Sox jersey.

contest through uscellular

go to www.vibes.com/usccsox for details
Gene

ewokpelts
04-23-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
It's too risky to allow "anyone" to go on the field, by making it affordable. The William Ligues of the world could (and would) scrounge up 500 for a chance to do something stupid. It's discrimination but it's necessary to an extent. They surely don't want to take any chances given our recent fan history.

then why do it at all?
Gene