PDA

View Full Version : Na Na, Hey Hey, Goodbye Rob Gallas

maurice
04-20-2004, 01:57 PM
:hawk
"HE GONE!" (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040420soxgallas,1,2492995.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

His replacement couldn't be any less competent.

poorme
04-20-2004, 01:59 PM
YES!

delben91
04-20-2004, 02:00 PM
Oh man, if this were April 1st, I wouldn't believe it.

bobj4400
04-20-2004, 02:03 PM
:gallas

"My work here is done. Through my marketing genius, I have run a franchise into the ground."

jabrch
04-20-2004, 02:03 PM
How much better could this week start off?

JR Resigns?
Sox sweep the Yanks?
Colon apologizes to Sox and demands a trade?

Hopefully they will replace Gallas with a good baseball marketing person.

jackbrohamer
04-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

One who works cheap, which is probably JR's main criterion

Randar68
04-20-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer

Good news if they manage to hire someone with a big-picture view of things. I have thought a lot of the promotions have been good, so we'll see, I suppose.

Tekijawa
04-20-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
How much better could this week start off?

JR Resigns?
Sox sweep the Yanks?
Colon apologizes to Sox and demands a trade?

You forgot Valentin goes on the DL

jabrch
04-20-2004, 02:15 PM
Cheap? I take the job in a heartbeat and do it for far less than Mr. Gallas.

Hey PHG - catch this, I'd even take a 20% PAYCUT to have that job.

Hangar18
04-20-2004, 02:15 PM
Look for Rob Gallas to be hired with the Cubs shortly. You
can put that on the board

pinwheels3530
04-20-2004, 02:16 PM
Valentine on the DL is not a good thing!

Realist
04-20-2004, 02:16 PM
If he really is the guy responsible for the current White Sox uniforms, he did at least one very good and important thing. I think the White Sox uniforms are the classiest in all of sports.

(although, a little red piping around the "Sox" logo like the 59 uniforms wouldn't hurt)

soxtalker
04-20-2004, 02:18 PM
It seems to be a very odd time for this to occur. I could see right after the season is concluded, but anyone taking over will pretty much be running with the plan that Gallas has in place. The official announcement sounded pretty much like what you might expect in a resignation of any top executive.

Hangar18
04-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Id take this job in a heartbeat, but JR would Defer my salary
til like 2008

rmusacch
04-20-2004, 02:25 PM

Mike Veeck?

Kilroy
04-20-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
Valentine on the DL is not a good thing!

Who the hell is Valentine?

:manos

"Hell if I know..."

pinwheels3530
04-20-2004, 02:31 PM
I nominate Hangar for the position so he could spend all day talking about the cubs! :D:

MisterB
04-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Look for Rob Gallas to be hired with the Cubs shortly. You
can put that on the board

We can only hope. The Flubs marketing has left the Sox in the dust over the last decade. (How else can you draw near capacity for several years running with a team that hasn't finished over .500 for two years in a row in over 30 years?) Maybe Gallas can bring them 'back to the pack' marketing-wise...

Kilroy
04-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
(How else can you draw near capacity for several years running with a team that hasn't finished over .500 for two years in a row in over 30 years?)

Follow the beer...

soxnut
04-20-2004, 02:45 PM
I guess there were alot of things Mr. Gallas didn't do, but I did like some of his promotions. The uniforms he brought back to the Sox was an excellent idea. The "Turn Back the Clock" day with the uniforms was a huge success. That idea was so successful that the retro uniform craze spawned into all teams in every major sport. Some of the other things he came up with were somewhat of a spinoff of what Veeck did, so he at least he copied from a pioneer.

But more needed to be done. And hopefully whoever takes his place will put his/her mark on this franchise in a positive way. I think whoever takes over will realize how important it is to capture more of the fanbase and also not give in to the Cubbie Machine that has been created.

sas1974
04-20-2004, 02:54 PM
Gallas directed the marketing efforts in the top attendance decade in Sox history, as the team drew nearly 20 million fans in the 1990s.
This probably has nothing to do w/ the fact that they opened a new park.

Eight of the team's 10 attendance marks have come since 1990, and the team's eight sellouts in 2000 were the most in Sox history.
Ok...3 cubs games. 2 playoff games. What were the other 3? Yanks?

southsidesoxfan1
04-20-2004, 03:06 PM
There is a god!!!!!!
Now maybe the team will be marketed like a major league organization.

wdelaney72
04-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
You forgot Valentin goes on the DL
"He got all of that one!"

havelj
04-20-2004, 03:13 PM
This will go down as one of the greatest days in recent memory of the great franchise. Rob Gallas is a silver-spooned pisshead who screwed up the marketing of an historic franchise. How anyone can keep a job he had with the attendance figures is beyond me. See ya Rob....don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

wdelaney72
04-20-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
We can only hope. The Flubs marketing has left the Sox in the dust over the last decade. (How else can you draw near capacity for several years running with a team that hasn't finished over .500 for two years in a row in over 30 years?) Maybe Gallas can bring them 'back to the pack' marketing-wise...

It's called luck, not marketing.
1) Superstation WGN broadcasting the team across the US. (This national broadcasting has NOTHING to do with the Cubs being on the station.)
2) The neighborhood booms and becomes a beer garden for the recently graduated from college Chicagoland workforce.
3) For some reason, drill-rods across the Chicagoland area fall in love with the ramblings of a crazy old Cardinal-fan drunk who had just been fired from the White Sox for being too honest and abrasive in his broadcasts .

wdelaney72
04-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by havelj
This will go down as one of the greatest days in recent memory of the great franchise. Rob Gallas is a silver-spooned pisshead who screwed up the marketing of an historic franchise. How anyone can keep a job he had with the attendance figures is beyond me. See ya Rob....don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

Hey Rob,

Don't forgot to take your "The Kids Can Play" campaign with you.

hold2dibber
04-20-2004, 03:22 PM
Gallas was actually pretty good with respect to game-day promotions, but he was an absolute disaster with respect to season ticket sales -- and that, of course, is what matters most. He was hamstrung repeatedly by moronic decisions by those above him (e.g., Belle signing, '94 strike, white flag trade, etc.) but he simply did not get the job done.

It's not at easy job to take, particularly at this point in time with the Cubs-machine raging like never before, but I've got to believe that there are savvy marketing people out there who will be able to get the season ticket base back up to respectable levels. I sure as heck hope JR finds one of them.

Randar68
04-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Gallas was actually pretty good with respect to game-day promotions, but he was an absolute disaster with respect to season ticket sales -- and that, of course, is what matters most. He was hamstrung repeatedly by moronic decisions by those above him (e.g., Belle signing, '94 strike, white flag trade, etc.) but he simply did not get the job done.

It's not at easy job to take, particularly at this point in time with the Cubs-machine raging like never before, but I've got to believe that there are savvy marketing people out there who will be able to get the season ticket base back up to respectable levels. I sure as heck hope JR finds one of them.

My sentiments exactly.

poorme
04-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Anyone know how he got the job in the first place?

Frankfan4life
04-20-2004, 03:28 PM
I'm nominating this thread for THREAD OF THE DAY! I've been LMAO! :D:

cheeses_h_rice
04-20-2004, 03:30 PM
For all the "good" he did with the Sox, I'm elated to see him go.

The Sox need to expand their season ticket base and start marketing the team better. For a metropolitan area of 7 million, we really ought to approach 2 million a year in attendance all the time.

Brian26
04-20-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by poorme

Anything to do with Jimmy Peirsall?

:)

nixsox
04-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Wasn't he the reporter that Piersall tried to strangle to death in 1982?

RedPinStripes
04-20-2004, 04:27 PM
It's about damn time.
"It's time"................

soxtalker
04-20-2004, 04:34 PM
Did anyone hear anything about WHY he resigned? Have there been ANY rumors leading up to this?

soxnut
04-20-2004, 04:36 PM
With Rob Gallas resigning at this time, does that mean that Phase V renovation plans have been finalized? I don't know how much he had to do with them, but I'd think whatever input all of the front office people would have, I don't think he'd leave until that was finalized for whatever his department wanted. So I wonder... :?:

jackbrohamer
04-20-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by poorme

Reinsdorf felt sorry for him ever since Kingman dumped the bucket of ice water on his head in the Cubs' clubhouse?

Rush20
04-20-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Did anyone hear anything about WHY he resigned? Have there been ANY rumors leading up to this?

Have they announced his replacement? Funny how this happened at the beginning of the season and not during the off-season. Perhaps him and JR didn't agree on Phase V, etc.

soxnut
04-20-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Rush20
Have they announced his replacement? Funny how this happened at the beginning of the season and not during the off-season. Perhaps him and JR didn't agree on Phase V, etc.

That's why I had mentioned it. Either all decisions for Phase V have been finalized, or there could be a disagreement ..... :?:

JohnBasedowYoda
04-20-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Rush20

Maybe JR didn't agree with phase 5 because it was prolly something neat. Now it's gonna be that giant ferris wheel we keep hearing about around here

TornLabrum
04-20-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Who the hell is Valentine?

:manos

"Hell if I know..."

Bobby Valentine?

iwannago
04-20-2004, 06:05 PM
I think with Rob Gallas gone I believe we will see an increase in attendence due to better Marketing of the White Sox. Maybe the new person will clean up JR's image. You must admit JR's image is better with the Bulls then with the Sox.

TornLabrum
04-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
I guess there were alot of things Mr. Gallas didn't do, but I did like some of his promotions. The uniforms he brought back to the Sox was an excellent idea. The "Turn Back the Clock" day with the uniforms was a huge success. That idea was so successful that the retro uniform craze spawned into all teams in every major sport. Some of the other things he came up with were somewhat of a spinoff of what Veeck did, so he at least he copied from a pioneer.

But more needed to be done. And hopefully whoever takes his place will put his/her mark on this franchise in a positive way. I think whoever takes over will realize how important it is to capture more of the fanbase and also not give in to the Cubbie Machine that has been created.

Turn Back the Clock Day was the Idea of a 12-year-old. Gallas, of course, always claimed it was HIS OWN idea.

TornLabrum
04-20-2004, 06:10 PM
I think one comment I heard a few years ago from someone in the Sox organization sums up Gallas's skills in marketing better than anything I could ever say: "He's not a people person."

"What does that have to do with marketing?"

iwannago
04-20-2004, 06:12 PM
Please diregard thread. I found an earlier one about Gallas.

iwannago
04-20-2004, 06:16 PM
I'm glad alot of people share my opinion of Gallas, I never heard of any inovative thoughts coming out of him or his department.

soxnut
04-20-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Turn Back the Clock Day was the Idea of a 12-year-old. Gallas, of course, always claimed it was HIS OWN idea.

Ok, well thanks for the infor. Regardless of who's idea it was, he's the one who put it on the field.

doublem23
04-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
You must admit JR's image is better with the Bulls then with the Sox.

I didn't think there was that big of a difference, but if there is, the smoking gun would be the 6 NBA Titles the Bulls have won under Reinsy compared to the 0 for the Sox.

Brian26
04-20-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

Do explain! I haven't heard this story. That's the one great feat I associate with Gallas, so if he had nothing to do with it, he loses even more respect from me.

Lip Man 1
04-20-2004, 08:07 PM
"Rob's creativity, enthusiasm and contributions to the White Sox will be remembered here for a long time," said Jerry Reinsdorf.

Should that be in teal?????

As far as the question being asked as to how Gallas got the job in the first place. It's a good one...

Gallas had no experience, zero, none in advertising and marketing a pro sports team when he got the job. Gallas was a sports reporter (and a pretty good one) for the Daily Herald for a number of years before.

I've been told this from two different sources but have never been able to get this confirmed officially so it must be regarded as speculation but it does make some sense.

I was told Gallas got the job as part of a settlement with the Sox over the Piersall 'choking' incident. Jimmy was an employee of the club therefore Rob was going to sue the pants off the Sox when this was suggested as a compromise. I was told that good ole Uncle Jerry said as long as he owned the team, Gallas would have a job. (one of my sources was actually present in the press room when Jimmy went after Gallas. In fact he helped pull Jimmy off him.)

Good riddance! (of course it doesn't mean a thing if his replacement is just as incompetent!)

Lip

A. Cavatica
04-20-2004, 08:20 PM
I assume "resigned" is standard business-speak for "fired".

JR will hire Steve Lyons as his replacement.

soxwon
04-20-2004, 08:38 PM
i hear they offered HANGAR the job?

RedPinStripes
04-20-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
Please diregard thread. I found an earlier one about Gallas.

3 pages late ya think?

TommyJohn
04-20-2004, 11:52 PM
Reinsdorf felt sorry for him ever since Kingman dumped the bucket of ice water on his head in the Cubs' clubhouse?

That happened to David Israel.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-21-2004, 12:47 AM
Hire Frater Perdurabo or Hangar! Both of them have posted awesome ideas on this site to improve attendence.

gosox41
04-21-2004, 07:19 AM
The loss sucks, but 'Mr. Incompetent', Rob Gallas officially resigned.

It's about time. It was mentioned in the Tribune business section today. There was mention of disappointment in the attendance the last few years. Duh.

Bob

DrummerGeorgefan
04-21-2004, 07:31 AM
Everyday is a great day to be a sox fan. Some are just extra special.

JDP
04-21-2004, 07:32 AM
Wasn't a good day to be Mark Buehrle, though.

wdelaney72
04-21-2004, 07:38 AM
While I'm glad to see Mr. Gallas gone, the Sox lost yesterday due to a really crappy start by a pitcher that's supposed to be a stud. Any day the Sox lose is a crappy day, period.

While Galas was responsible for a lot of stupid, annoying, and pointless ad campaigns, he is not the reason attendance sucks.

Any first year Marketing class will stress that the most important component of good marketing is having a quality product. This falls in the hands of Jerry Reinsdorf, Ron Schuler, and Kenny Williams - not Rob Gallas. Build a winning product and there will be no need to advertise. I'm sure the Yankees don't run ads begging people to come out to see the Yankees.

34 Inch Stick
04-21-2004, 09:24 AM
Murph, reported some speculation that JR's son Michael was being groomed for the position. Reportedly he has been sitting in on all marketing meetings this year.

It would have been better for him to sit in on Bulls marketing meetings. Five years after the last winning season and they are still selling out the UC.

Dan H
04-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Gallas leaving won't help if it is just a matter of power changing hands. The whole marketing approach has to change beginning with taking the commercials off that sell the idea that Guillen was the only change the Sox made in the off season. If the new person doesn't see the logic of this, Gallas may have well stayed.

Procol Harum
04-21-2004, 09:33 AM
While a new marketing director is hardly a cure-all for Sox attendance, image, and fan relation problems (especially given the Reinsdorfian White Sox' seemingly irresistable penchant for shooting themselves in the foot), no tears need be shed over this development--Rob Gallas, don't let the screen door hit you on the way out....

:sahaf

"If only I had known this was coming down the pike, I would have applied for my visa and Green Card in December '02..."

Procol Harum
04-21-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
Gallas leaving won't help if it is just a matter of power changing hands. The whole marketing approach has to change beginning with taking the commercials off that sell the idea that Guillen was the only change the Sox made in the off season. If the new person doesn't see the logic of this, Gallas may have well stayed.

Scary part being, however, that Brother Gallas' statement explicitly referred to his feeling good about departing at this time because the Sox marketing strategy for the year was already in place. What with budgets spent, commercial time purchased, print ads on order, etc., etc. I wouldn't expect to see any major pr or marketing facelift until early next year. Even that of course, is dependent on whether they hire someone who isn't "Son of Gallas."

hose
04-21-2004, 10:28 AM
I find it rather funny that the day Gallas quits is probably his most timely promotion... free ponchos.

GoSox2K3
04-21-2004, 11:12 AM
We're 5 pages into this thread and no one has yet given a clear explanation of what was wrong w/ Gallas other than "He sucks!!!". Did he have any role in the following?

- Firing Harry Caray (and thus giving him to the Cubs)
- Putting the Sox on pay TV (while the Cubs stayed on free TV)
- Designing New Comiskey
- Locating new Comiskey far from any night life.
- Trading Sammy Sosa to the Cubs
- Orchestrating the '94 strike while the Sox were in 1st place
- The White Flag Trade

These are some of the key events in the last 20 years and have either driven fans away from the Sox or driven fans into the evil clutches of the Cubs (or both). I don't know if marketing can dig us out of the hole caused by these bonehead moves.

That being said, was Gallas responible for limiting Nancy Faust's play time and using annoying, loud, canned music instead? If so, then I hope that changes now that he's gone.

gosox41
04-21-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
We're 5 pages into this thread and no one has yet given a clear explanation of what was wrong w/ Gallas other than "He sucks!!!". Did he have any role in the following?

- Firing Harry Caray (and thus giving him to the Cubs)
- Putting the Sox on pay TV (while the Cubs stayed on free TV)
- Designing New Comiskey
- Locating new Comiskey far from any night life.
- Trading Sammy Sosa to the Cubs
- Orchestrating the '94 strike while the Sox were in 1st place
- The White Flag Trade

These are some of the key events in the last 20 years and have either driven fans away from the Sox or driven fans into the evil clutches of the Cubs (or both). I don't know if marketing can dig us out of the hole caused by these bonehead moves.

That being said, was Gallas responible for limiting Nancy Faust's play time and using annoying, loud, canned music instead? If so, then I hope that changes now that he's gone.

I remember Gallas making some comments that basically insulted some Sox fans after the '94 strike. Can't remember what they were, but they didn't hurt me. It pissed off a lot of people. I also remembe little things like an article written in the Sun Times in the mid to late '90's about a die hard handicap fan who wanted to buy some ticket package and the Sox didn't return his calls. I'm haze on the details, but there was nothing too positive about Rob being here unless you like Dog Day.

Bob

StillMissOzzie
04-22-2004, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Murph, reported some speculation that JR's son Michael was being groomed for the position. Reportedly he has been sitting in on all marketing meetings this year.

It would have been better for him to sit in on Bulls marketing meetings. Five years after the last winning season and they are still selling out the UC.

:chunks

SMO
:angry:

Banix12
04-22-2004, 03:48 AM
Gallas is going to be on WGN this morning on Spike O'Dell's show to talk about leaving. I think around 7:35.

soxtalker
04-22-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Banix12
Gallas is going to be on WGN this morning on Spike O'Dell's show to talk about leaving. I think around 7:35.

Just listened to the interview. He stuck with the story that this was the best time of the year to leave for the benefit of the team and his successor. He sounded very sad, which is a typical response after leaving a place that you've been at for several years. He certainly didn't indicate that he was fired; rather, he seemed to imply that he was burned out. On the other hand, there was an interesting exchange at the end when Spike asked if he'd be interested in going to a Cubs game.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2004, 12:22 PM
One of the columns yesterday (I think it was Morrissey's) inferred that if gallas didn't re-sign he was going to get the ax probably after the season.

Who knows for sure?

Lip

soxtalker
04-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
One of the columns yesterday (I think it was Morrissey's) inferred that if gallas didn't re-sign he was going to get the ax probably after the season.

Who knows for sure?

Lip

That would be consistent with the way he phrased things on the interview on WGN radio today. Not the only interpretation.

Hangar18
04-22-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
On the other hand, there was an interesting exchange at the end when Spike asked if he'd be interested in going to a Cubs game.

How many times have I said, that Despite Gallas "faults", if he ever left, he would be HIRED ASAP by the Cubs (Never too proud to borrow from the White Sox Cupboard). YOu watch
how he makes his way 8 miles north shortly. Same thing when Schueler stepped down, only to quickly interview for other GM jobs out there. And hes even still working for the evil empire