PDA

View Full Version : Valentin injury could help sox

ajorb11
04-20-2004, 02:09 PM
I think that with valentine getting put on the dl, this will give "The Ozzie" a chance to see what Uribe has got and hopefully prove himself worthy of playing more games and maybe trading valentine for a someone who can be a quality pitcher for the sox. Another option would be for uribe to perform so amazingly that lil' willie would take a seat. This is all dependant on Uribe playing well for the next two weeks.

raul12
04-20-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by ajorb11
I think that with valentine getting put on the dl, this will give "The Ozzie" a chance to see what Uribe has got and hopefully prove himself worthy of playing more games and maybe trading valentine for a someone who can be a quality pitcher for the sox. Another option would be for uribe to perform so amazingly that lil' willie would take a seat. This is all dependant on Uribe playing well for the next two weeks.

Didn't know we had a "Valentine" on our team! :D:

wdelaney72
04-20-2004, 02:13 PM
I agree. I'm curious to see what Uribe can do.

MRKARNO
04-20-2004, 02:15 PM
The way that Valentin had been hitting lately, I dont see how it could be a good thing that he is hurt. I agree it's important to see Uribe, but we will see him over the course of the year anyways if you guys'd be patient

JRIG
04-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by wdelaney72
I agree. I'm curious to see what Uribe can do.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you want to see what Uribe can do, here you go:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=6698

Three years of playing in the best hitter's park in baseball history. It's highly unlikely he'll be significantly better than those numbers over the next 15 days or even the rest of the season.

maurice
04-20-2004, 02:25 PM
That's not necessarily true for at least two reasons: (1) he's only 24 years old, and (2) the folks in Colorado opined that his struggles were a result of cultural assimilation and not talent.

SEALgep
04-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you want to see what Uribe can do, here you go:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=6698

Three years of playing in the best hitter's park in baseball history. It's highly unlikely he'll be significantly better than those numbers over the next 15 days or even the rest of the season. He's already shown he's a better hitter by taking the ball the other way and not taking homerun cuts every swing. The Latino presence on our team will work to his (and our) advantage by helping him along and teaching him the right way to play. Also one of his best friends in Timo Perez is on our team, only can help. Go Uribe!

Gumshoe
04-20-2004, 07:09 PM
Maurice, I hope he does well. It's funny that you use the euphemistic term though, and not the one that others pointed out that were close to coors field --- "latin prima donna"

That said, maybe he will turn out, because he is more comfortable here. I don't see anyone being better than Valentin in terms of attitude and overall production, desire to win.

Gumshoe

pudge
04-20-2004, 07:34 PM
I think this is pretty misguided... wanting to see new guys in the lineup for the fun of it is not such a good idea (see: Jerry Manuel). No Valentin and no Thomas really weakens our lineup. All in all, these injuries are not good. (Of course, the Twins are doing just fine despite their injuries... but they're also not facing New York.)

maurice
04-20-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by maurice
the folks in Colorado opined that his struggles were a result of cultural assimilation and not talent.

Originally posted by Gumshoe
It's funny that you use the euphemistic term though, and not the one that others pointed out that were close to coors field --- "latin prima donna."

I'm just using the term I remember from the reports and trying not to read anything into it. However, I can see how a young fellow from the DR might have an easier time living in Chicago and playing for the Sox, a team with a long history of Latino players. Denver's not exactly the most diverse city in America.

lowesox
04-20-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by raul12
Didn't know we had a "Valentine" on our team! :D:

I wonder who's name gets mispelt more Valentin's or Shoawwanweiz's.