PDA

View Full Version : Takatsu


Palehose13
04-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Sorry this is late, but I just returned from vacation.

I was sitting behind home plate Friday night for the only Sox loss against the DRays, so I was able to see Takatsu's stuff up close.

IIRC, his fastest pitch was 87mph and his slowest was 61mph...and his velocity ranged everywhere in between. What I remember most was his 61mph pitch (I have no idea what it was), but it was the last pitch on one of his strikeouts. OH MY GOD! It looked like he had that thing on remote control. The movement was absolutely amazing! I think I saw several jaws dropping. If he can pitch like he did Friday night, I think he can be very effective this season.

BTW...next time anyone complains about attendence at Comiskey...Tropicana field is like a ghost town.

IlliniSox
04-20-2004, 12:40 PM
Is Tropicana Field the same place the Sox where threatening to move to in 1990? I remember it being called the Florida Suncoast Dome.

soxfan26
04-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Sorry this is late, but I just returned from vacation.

I was sitting behind home plate Friday night for the only Sox loss against the DRays, so I was able to see Takatsu's stuff up close.

IIRC, his fastest pitch was 87mph and his slowest was 61mph...and his velocity ranged everywhere in between. What I remember most was his 61mph pitch (I have no idea what it was), but it was the last pitch on one of his strikeouts. OH MY GOD! It looked like he had that thing on remote control. The movement was absolutely amazing! I think I saw several jaws dropping. If he can pitch like he did Friday night, I think he can be very effective this season.

BTW...next time anyone complains about attendence at Comiskey...Tropicana field is like a ghost town.

You can't get this from a box score. Thanks for the report. Maybe changing speeds and using movement will rub off on Koch.

Palehose13
04-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by IlliniSox
Is Tropicana Field the same place the Sox where threatening to move to in 1990? I remember it being called the Florida Suncoast Dome.

I believe it is, but I can be corrected. Tropicana Field is actually in St. Petersburg and I do believe that was the place JR was going to move.

poorme
04-20-2004, 12:46 PM
It's the same place.

stillz
04-20-2004, 12:49 PM
I still remember all the sox being flabergasted after his first session in Arizona. He's bound to have some baffling stuff this year. I'd prefer him to Koch - that's for sure.

Palehose13
04-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by soxfan26
You can't get this from a box score. Thanks for the report. Maybe changing speeds and using movement will rub off on Koch.

No problem. I was so excited about that pitch for the rest of the night. I never saw anything like it! I suppose I witnessed what the rest of the Sox staff saw when they reported that he had amazing movement. It was also nice to see him throw 85, then 63, then 72...it looked like it threw the hitters off balance.

mantis1212
04-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
I believe it is, but I can be corrected. Tropicana Field is actually in St. Petersburg and I do believe that was the place JR was going to move.

Yes it is- wasn't called the McDome at one time?

wdelaney72
04-20-2004, 01:05 PM
I'm curious as to how his control is.

I agree, it's a better option than Koch.

Clembasbal
04-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by wdelaney72
I'm curious as to how his control is.


I am are pretty sure that there were some concerns about his control and walking people.

I saw him in the bullpen at last Thursday's game (Mags HR to win)...he had great stuff.

The only concern I had, and I saw him from up close (I have front row season tickets) was that the ball would hang up there when it was about 70mph. It was like Wakefield's knuckleball, and I can't tell you the movement because it was a sideview of his pitching.

If players sit back on it, then the concourse will be getting a lot of attention when he pitches...otherwise if there is agreat movement he might be closing before long. (Hopefully the latter).

I agree, it's a better option than Koch.

ma-gaga
04-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by stillz
I still remember all the sox being flabergasted after his first session in Arizona. He's bound to have some baffling stuff this year. I'd prefer him to Koch - that's for sure.

Be careful what you ask for.

Clembasbal
04-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Well my last comment was written wrong, you would think that after 150 or so posts I would know what the hell I am doing...somebody kick me in the junk!

davidleeroth
04-20-2004, 02:09 PM
im pretty sure it used to be called the Thunderdome

SEALgep
04-20-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by soxfan26
You can't get this from a box score. Thanks for the report. Maybe changing speeds and using movement will rub off on Koch. Ya, if he pitches slower maybe it will fool everyone. J/K :D:

DSpivack
04-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by davidleeroth
im pretty sure it used to be called the Thunderdome

Didn't they have the Final Four there several years ago?

patbooyah
04-20-2004, 02:57 PM
join my club!

Palehose13
04-20-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by patbooyah
join my club!

lol...nice pic. I did like what I saw, but it takes a lot of love for me to join a fan club... ;)

stillz
04-20-2004, 03:56 PM
That's hilarious! I'm in the Shingo fan club.