PDA

View Full Version : Are we over the "unseen pitcher" syndrome?

WWIII
04-20-2004, 09:44 AM
After last years dismal performances against pitcher's the Sox had not faced before, I got a little concerned when I saw that the first Yankees pitcher we face this week is making his major-league debut. Is this not a factor under new management, or is there still reason to be wary?

delben91
04-20-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by WWIII
After last years dismal performances against pitcher's the Sox had not faced before, I got a little concerned when I saw that the first Yankees pitcher we face this week is making his major-league debut. Is this not a factor under new management, or is there still reason to be wary?

I don't know if there's enough evidence yet this year to say the Sox are "over it" but I think with the new approach of manufacturing runs rather than waiting for the 3-run homer, that there's less chance for the Sox to put up a dismal showing. Expecting an offensive outburst may also be a stretch, but I don't think that the Sox are any longer shutout risks against these no names.

SEALgep
04-20-2004, 09:57 AM
I think a lot of that had to do with our approach at the plate. Guys swinging for the fences. That's hard to do when you haven't seen a guy's stuff. Now we have guys making pitchers work, seeing their pitches, and trying to put the ball the other way for hits. IMO, playing Ozzie ball eliminates the concern of a new pitcher, unless of course the guy just pitches an outstanding game, which there is no cure for.

Dadawg_77
04-20-2004, 09:58 AM
If the guy is right handed and relies on breaking stuff, we are usally dead in the water.

wdelaney72
04-20-2004, 10:30 AM
The Yankee pitcher we faced on the Saturday of the last series, we shelled. It was very encouraging.

Under the JM reign, we would have been pounded that day.