PDA

View Full Version : Pitchers Originally Drafted by Sox

poorme
04-20-2004, 09:41 AM
On our current roster I mean....out of 12 pitchers on the roster.....only 2 were originally signed by the Sox. Just a little tidbit I found interesting.

delben91
04-20-2004, 09:53 AM
Well, that's got to be Buehrle and Wright.

In the lineup they fare better though only slightly...Thomas, Lee, Crede, Rowand. Any others?

hold2dibber
04-20-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by delben91
Well, that's got to be Buehrle and Wright.

In the lineup they fare better though only slightly...Thomas, Lee, Crede, Rowand. Any others?

I thought Maggs was a Sox signee, too.

delben91
04-20-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I thought Maggs was a Sox signee, too.

I'm not sure, I vaguely recall he'd been picked up in the Rule V draft. Or maybe it was that he had been left exposed to the Rule V draft by the Sox?

thecell
04-20-2004, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure, I vaguely recall he'd been picked up in the Rule V draft. Or maybe it was that he had been left exposed to the Rule V draft by the Sox?

Magglio was originally signed by the Sox. He was left unprotected in the '98 Rule V draft.

Randar68
04-20-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by thecell
Magglio was originally signed by the Sox. He was left unprotected in the '98 Rule V draft.

Yep, and the Sox signed Carlos Lee out of Panama.

owensmouth
04-20-2004, 11:19 AM
Why limit it to only those that were originally drafted by the club? I think that you should also include those that may have been drafted by another club, but the Sox acquired them before they appeared in the majors and spent time in the Sox minor league organization.

Reason: if we get someone through a trade and develop him into a major leaguer, the organization did the job. If we identify a kid in someone else's organization that we want, our scouts have done the job.

American players get selected through the draft. That means we only get one choice in 30. To get a yoiung player from someone else accomplishes the same thing.

Randar68
04-20-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth
Why limit it to only those that were originally drafted by the club? I think that you should also include those that may have been drafted by another club, but the Sox acquired them before they appeared in the majors and spent time in the Sox minor league organization.

Reason: if we get someone through a trade and develop him into a major leaguer, the organization did the job. If we identify a kid in someone else's organization that we want, our scouts have done the job.

American players get selected through the draft. That means we only get one choice in 30. To get a yoiung player from someone else accomplishes the same thing.

You referencing Garland? He only had one partial year in the Cubs organization, IIRC.

delben91
04-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
You referencing Garland? He only had one partial year in the Cubs organization, IIRC.

Probably also Adkins, Cotts, Olivo, Harris who had had little or no major league time when they came to the Sox system.

Randar68
04-20-2004, 11:32 AM
Probably also Adkins, Cotts, Olivo, Harris who had had little or no major league time when they came to the Sox system.

I would definitely not throw Adkins or Harris into that list, as they were both established AAA players by the time the Sox got them. Olivo I agree with, but even Cotts is reaching a little bit.