PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Newsmedia Watch 4/20/04

Hangar18
04-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Fred Mitchell does a QA on Kittle! cubs still lead the Mitchell sweepstakes 8-2. Crime is leading the news in "lakeview", but not in "near wrigley field" as a guy was attacked just blocks from the Urinal, no media backlash. Also, the Media is ignoring the weekends incidents by cub "fans" regarding the throwing of trash on the field on 2 diff games. One media outlet called it a "fans protested". BS. Todays totals from the Trib 7-4 cubs while the SunTimes takes a 5-1 cub advantage. The SOX are slowly being phased out here story wise ...........
SOX stories over the weekend were mostly NEGATIVE in tone
from Thomas "contract demands" to Telanders garbage piece regarding attendance and fan apathy here.

CUBS 426
SOX 272

Railsplitter
04-20-2004, 09:47 AM
Sickening. We know that the Trib won't say anything bad about it's own product, but shouldn't the Sun-Times at least try to set a different tone?

Cubbiesuck13
04-20-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
Sickening. We know that the Trib won't say anything bad about it's own product, but shouldn't the Sun-Times at least try to set a different tone?

That is the way I always thought it was, Marriotti alwasy being the exception. The thing with him, is that it is not always pro-cubs anti-sox. Most times he will write an aritcle criticizing something to make a splash. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't he always been the guy who puts the damper on something. If I recall correctly, he wrote anti-jordan articles in his prime. Marriotti makes up for his lack of journalism and writing skills with argumenitive type articles. He is the same way on that show on that network... you know the one.

rdivaldi
04-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Don't forget that the Cubune conveniently decided to run an article about our good friend William Ligue.

Gee, let's try to deflect the embarrassing behavior of OUR fans (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-0404200284apr20,1,1255544.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

Brian26
04-20-2004, 01:19 PM
Just thought I'd throw this in for what its worth.

Happened to see the WGN Sunday night sports segment this weekend. Dan Roan showed the Cubs highlights, followed by the Astros highlights, followed by Giants-Dodgers highlights. THEN, he showed the Sox highlights.

Is that the norm?

The Cubs come first, followed by the Astros, followed by a completely meaningless game to Chicago....and then the Sox highlights?

Seems like they could do the Sox right after the Cubs (if they insist), and then wrap up the rest of the MLB stuff in one segment.

Cubbiesuck13
04-20-2004, 06:10 PM
i thought that dan roan was a cub fan, and he still may be but wasn't he at a sox game earlier this year? I think it was the same day that the slups had a game so I figured he would be over there...

batmanZoSo
04-20-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Fred Mitchell does a QA on Kittle! cubs still lead the Mitchell sweepstakes 8-2. Crime is leading the news in "lakeview", but not in "near wrigley field" as a guy was attacked just blocks from the Urinal, no media backlash. Also, the Media is ignoring the weekends incidents by cub "fans" regarding the throwing of trash on the field on 2 diff games. One media outlet called it a "fans protested". BS. Todays totals from the Trib 7-4 cubs while the SunTimes takes a 5-1 cub advantage. The SOX are slowly being phased out here story wise ...........
SOX stories over the weekend were mostly NEGATIVE in tone
from Thomas "contract demands" to Telanders garbage piece regarding attendance and fan apathy here.

CUBS 426
SOX 272

I was gonna post about the media's convenient omission of "near Wrigley" when they reported the crime in Lakeview.