PDA

View Full Version : If Valentin goes to DL...

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-19-2004, 11:41 PM
cs.com says it is 50/50 and will be decided before the next game (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040419soxbits,1,6230831.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

my question is if he goes on the DL, who gets called up? the sox dont exactly have any decent infielders in the minors who are ready. dransfelt maybe? that or they just activate Wunsch, and stick with willie at second everyday and uribe at short i suppose?
any ideas

SoxxoS
04-19-2004, 11:43 PM
I think you got it...Put Valentin on the 15 day DL and call up Wunsch.

Hopefully that will give some time to decide who to send down once Valentin comes back...if Adkins keeps pitching well, it's going to be a tough choice.

It would be Koch in an ideal world.

CHISOXFAN13
04-19-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Hopefully that will give some time to decide who to send down once Valentin comes back...if Adkins keeps pitching well, it's going to be a tough choice.

That would give us only three reserve players (none of which are MI) and 13 pitchers.

MRKARNO
04-20-2004, 12:24 AM
Maybe we'll see a surprise call up. I really dont think the management wants to DL valentin because of this issue however.
Wunsch needs to come back and Adkins needs to go. Drandsfeldt has just been doing OK in charlotte (.265). What is the answer? I dont really know. Only Uribe, Crede, Harris and Valentin play the 3b, ss and 2b spots. Maybe we'll be forced to call up Dransfeldt. Harris can play SS. Might Bryant Nelson, Charlotte 2b be a surpirse call up? http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/Stats/stats_AAAintl_cha.shtml
He's been the second best hitter to Reed thus far. .326/.408/.488 as of yesterday, but he went 3 for 5 today. He's a switch hitter too and his average is at .375. Burke could always come up, but he's struggling. Maybe it would be an interesting idea to see Nelson up here for a week or so and see what he can do. He's almost 30, so he obviously isnt part of our future plan so we shouldnt be concerned about options for him

jeremyb1
04-20-2004, 12:34 AM
Its got to be Dransfeldt. We can't be without a backup middle infielder for a significant period of time and he's to top middle infielder on the depth charts.

lowesox
04-20-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Its got to be Dransfeldt. We can't be without a backup middle infielder for a significant period of time and he's to top middle infielder on the depth charts.

I agree. It'll be Dransfeldt. He earned it during spring training.

Jjav829
04-20-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

That would leave no backup shortstop, third baseman, or second baseman as well as 13 pitchers on the roster. Not gonna happen. I would agree with the others that Dransfeldt gets the call-up.