PDA

View Full Version : What is going to happen to Sandy A?


Cubbiesuck13
04-19-2004, 09:53 PM
I am torn between the idea of having Alomar Jr becoming a coach, instructing the pitchers how to throw to certain guys as well as him teaching Olivo how to call a game. The reason I am torn is because Fisk, being my all time favorite catcher and top 3 over all, would be a great instructor, in my opinion. I don't think that he knows todays hitters like Sandy does. But I think that he could teach Olivo more than Sandy could. But that is just an ignorant observation. Any thoughts? By the way, I know that there are no plans in the works for any of this.

Brian26
04-19-2004, 09:55 PM
Fisk isn't coming back to the White Sox anytime soon, so don't worry about that. Fact is, Sandy is 10 times the coach Fisk could ever be anyway. I love Fisk too, but that doesn't mean he would be a good manager or coach for the Sox.

delben91
04-19-2004, 09:57 PM
Sandy is just on a one year contract for this season, right?

Cubbiesuck13
04-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Fisk isn't coming back to the White Sox anytime soon, so don't worry about that. Fact is, Sandy is 10 times the coach Fisk could ever be anyway. I love Fisk too, but that doesn't mean he would be a good manager or coach for the Sox.


I don't think that he harbors that much resentment against the sox anymore. He has come back for a few things over the last couple of years and when asked about being the bench coach, the reason he said he had no interest was becasue of the schedule that he would have to keep, not because he would not work for the sox. I do realize that he is not going to be part of the orginization for a while, if ever. I just think that he could teach Olivo more than sandy. Why do you think sandy would be a better teacher?

VeeckAsInWreck
04-19-2004, 10:04 PM
It could be like the movie Major League II , where they ask Tom Berenger (the team's old catcher w/bad knees) to be a coach on the team.

You gotta love when life imitates art........or bad movies! :smile:

Brian26
04-19-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
I don't think that he harbors that much resentment against the sox anymore.

I could be wrong, but I think he still hates Reinsdorf's guts. The reason he came back for the Futures game last summer was because Major League Baseball invited him, not JR or the Sox. He came back for opening day because of Ozzie.

Cubbiesuck13
04-19-2004, 10:13 PM
i am willing to bet that the Oz doesnt care for JR much either. but you do have a point. Fisk did come for other reasons than to appease JR. I still think that he could teach things Alomar can't.

Daver
04-19-2004, 10:23 PM
Carlton Fisk holds an executive position in the Red Sox front office,why would he leave that to be a position coach?

Cubbiesuck13
04-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Carlton Fisk holds an executive position in the Red Sox front office,why would he leave that to be a position coach?

i did not know that, what kind of position? how long has he had it?

sas1974
04-19-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
i did not know that, what kind of position? how long has he had it?

He's a Special Assistant to the GM.

Cubbiesuck13
04-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Special Assistant to the GM. Reminds me of Paxson and Kraus. Maybe he is in training. I still think that both catchers would be great teachers, i think that fisk was a better defensive cather than sandy therefor bringing more knowladge to the table.

sas1974
04-19-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
Special Assistant to the GM. Reminds me of Paxson and Kraus. Maybe he is in training. I still think that both catchers would be great teachers, i think that fisk was a better defensive cather than sandy therefor bringing more knowladge to the table.

I really don't know much about what Pudge actually does though. It could just be some honorary position - more of a PR move than anything.

DSpivack
04-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
I am torn between the idea of having Alomar Jr becoming a coach, instructing the pitchers how to throw to certain guys as well as him teaching Olivo how to call a game. The reason I am torn is because Fisk, being my all time favorite catcher and top 3 over all, would be a great instructor, in my opinion. I don't think that he knows todays hitters like Sandy does. But I think that he could teach Olivo more than Sandy could. But that is just an ignorant observation. Any thoughts? By the way, I know that there are no plans in the works for any of this.

Why couldn't Sandy be some kind of special instructor-- to both the pitching staff and to the catchers [Olivo and whomever else- Rivera/ whomever].

Cubbiesuck13
04-19-2004, 10:53 PM
Why couldn't Sandy be some kind of special instructor-- to both the pitching staff and to the catchers [Olivo and whomever else- Rivera/ whomever].



i hope he does, especially if Fisk wont. I was simply wondering if I was the only one who would think that Fisk would be the better coach.