PDA

View Full Version : Taking another look at the Uribe/Miles trade


MRKARNO
04-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Now I know Miles has had a few good days in Colorado, but I think this trade is really going to work out for us this year and beyond. Miles was a nothing who was never going to do anything significant for this franchise. If Uribe can keep up a semblance of what he's doing now, he could/should be our franchise shortstop, allowing us to free up Valentin's 5 million in the short term which should allow us to keep Loaiza for 3 more years (assuming he is the same Esteban as last year). This could end up being a great trade for the White Sox. Now that Valentin is sidelined, it should give us an opportunity to see Uribe at short for an extended period of time and allowing us to see if Uribe truly is the SS of the future.

delben91
04-19-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Now I know Miles has had a few good days in Colorado, but I think this trade is really going to work out for us this year and beyond. Miles was a nothing who was never going to do anything significant for this franchise. If Uribe can keep up a semblance of what he's doing now, he could/should be our franchise shortstop, allowing us to free up Valentin's 5 million in the short term which should allow us to keep Loaiza for 3 more years (assuming he is the same Esteban as last year). This could end up being a great trade for the White Sox. Now that Valentin is sidelined, it should give us an opportunity to see Uribe at short for an extended period of time and allowing us to see if Uribe truly is the SS of the future.

I agree with you that the potential for Uribe to be the Sox starting SS for years is there. However, I know when the Sox got him there were mumblings of him being a Jimenez type. Now D'Angelo started out hot last year and then faded into oblivion. If we're still having this discussion in June, I'll start to buy into it.

jabrch
04-19-2004, 09:33 PM
D'Angelo's baserunning cost his team huge again today. In a 1-0 game, he got nailed sleeping on a flyball to RF. The team had a bunch of other hits and walks that inning and end up stranding bases loaded. Had he not had a brain cramp, they might have really broke it open early.

In any case, D'Angelo is too stupid to play every day in MLB. He was too dumb for the Yanks, too dumb for the Padres, and too dumb for us. Now he will prove that he is too dumb for the Reds.

The Uribe deal, on the other hand, will be great for us. Uribe can play SS and 2B and might replace Valentin, freeing up 5mm for pursuing a front line SP or 1B/DH/OF to replace PK/Frank/Magglio should one of them leave.

The deal put us in good position next year in terms of our budget, no matter how low it is.

poorme
04-19-2004, 09:40 PM
don't forget that uribe will be arbitration eligible after this year and a FA in a couple more years.

anyway, i'm not too concerned with him amounting to much, considering his past.

Rex Hudler
04-19-2004, 10:36 PM
I agree that trade was a good one for the Sox. The choice was Miles or Harris. That will ultimately decide if this was a good trade.

Once the decision was made to go with Harris, the trade was easy to make. Miles had earned a shot at the Majors and didn't deserve to be shipped back to AAA without a real shot. He wasn't going to be a utility guy since he can't play SS.

They went out and got someone they thought would fit well as a utility infielder and hoped could be a long term answer at SS. Colorado needed a 2B. It was a good deal for both teams.

lowesox
04-19-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Allowing us to free up Valentin's 5 million in the short term which should allow us to keep Loaiza for 3 more years (assuming he is the same Esteban as last year).

Good post, although, if Elo has another good year he'll be nowhere near 5 million per year, or the sox for that matter.

Tragg
04-19-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
D'Angelo's baserunning cost his team huge again today. In a 1-0 game, he got nailed sleeping on a flyball to RF. The team had a bunch of other hits and walks that inning and end up stranding bases loaded. Had he not had a brain cramp, they might have really broke it open early.


He did the same thing on multiple occasions when a Sox

Dub25
04-19-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
D'Angelo's baserunning cost his team huge again today. In a 1-0 game, he got nailed sleeping on a flyball to RF. The team had a bunch of other hits and walks that inning and end up stranding bases loaded. Had he not had a brain cramp, they might have really broke it open early.

In any case, D'Angelo is too stupid to play every day in MLB. He was too dumb for the Yanks, too dumb for the Padres, and too dumb for us. Now he will prove that he is too dumb for the Reds.

The Uribe deal, on the other hand, will be great for us. Uribe can play SS and 2B and might replace Valentin, freeing up 5mm for pursuing a front line SP or 1B/DH/OF to replace PK/Frank/Magglio should one of them leave.

The deal put us in good position next year in terms of our budget, no matter how low it is.

Once again D'Angelo screws us again.

Dub25
04-19-2004, 11:05 PM
Next year they can roll out the same what has changed commericial and this time they can say, starting shortstop Juan Uribe.

MRKARNO
04-19-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Good post, although, if Elo has another good year he'll be nowhere near 5 million per year, or the sox for that matter.

We could get him for Livan money (3 years 21 mil) I think. It was us that gave him the opportunity, I would hope he would show the only club in the majors that gave him a camp invite some commitment to us

The Big Squirt
04-20-2004, 09:28 AM
Isn't miles much older than Uribe also?

soxfan26
04-20-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO


We could get him for Livan money (3 years 21 mil) I think. It was us that gave him the opportunity, I would hope he would show the only club in the majors that gave him a camp invite some commitment to us

I think the Sox definately set the stage for him to come back with his first contract. He had to prove himself for one season, but then he got that big $4.5m option. With one more good season from him, The Sox should offer him 3 years between $15-25m.


Originally posted by The Big Squirt
Isn't miles much older than Uribe also?

Miles is 27 and Uribe is 24.

ARoman27
04-20-2004, 12:43 PM
Uribe suffered in the Rockies organization because of the lack of latino influence. Because he couldn't speak the language he was labeled as not having any baseball intelligence. Now that he's in a setting that is full of latino presence he is beginning to flourish. I think we will see great things from Uribe.

If for nothing else the trade made sense because the Sox don't have another SS prospect in our system that would be ready by 2005.