PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Tigers=2002 Indians

chisoxmike
04-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Anyone think the Tigers will fade after their good and surprising start to the season much like the Indians in 2002 when they started their 11-1 and then quickly faded in the AL Central

SoxxoS
04-19-2004, 06:51 PM
I think they went from averaging 3.6 runs last year to 5.6 this year (or something similar), so they aren't going to last much longer at this pace. Let them keep beating up on people for the first half, it's good for us.

I actually think they might finish within 5 games of the Royals, which I didn't think was possible 2 weeks ago. The Royals pitching sucks.

santo=dorf
04-19-2004, 07:13 PM
Well how about 2004 Tigers= a "light" version of the 2003 KC Royals?

Kuzman
04-19-2004, 07:16 PM
they better be very light, i think they are the only ones standing in the way of the sox this year. sides minnesota who is quietly up there with us..

batmanZoSo
04-19-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Kuzman
they better be very light, i think they are the only ones standing in the way of the sox this year. sides minnesota who is quietly up there with us..

No, Minnesota's the only team standing in our way. The Tigers will fade. There's no way in hell you can go from 119 losses to 90...and just by getting a great catcher.

Fortunately Minnesota's weakened from last year. Other than just beating them our hope is that they also fade without their horses.

guillen4life13
04-19-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
No, Minnesota's the only team standing in our way. The Tigers will fade. There's no way in hell you can go from 119 losses to 90...and just by getting a great catcher.

Fortunately Minnesota's weakened from last year. Other than just beating them our hope is that they also fade without their horses.

They got more than a great catcher. Vina is a good 2B, and they got Jason Johnson. On top of that, their rotation has aged a year and has more experience.

I don't think it's a good idea to rule out any team at all until they are mathematically eliminated or they're 15 or more games behind you. Detroit could become either of the possibilities ('02 Tribe or '03 Royals).

batmanZoSo
04-19-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
They got more than a great catcher. Vina is a good 2B, and they got Jason Johnson. On top of that, their rotation has aged a year and has more experience.

I don't think it's a good idea to rule out any team at all until they are mathematically eliminated or they're 15 or more games behind you. Detroit could become either of the possibilities ('02 Tribe or '03 Royals).

Of course you can't rule anything out. But you can 'pretty much' rule some things out. And that's basically what I was doing. They can definitely win 70 something games, but contend for the division? I'll believe it when I see it. Actually I probably wouldn't then either.

It doesn't matter if I think they don't have a chance, it only matters what the Sox think.