PDA

View Full Version : Reed strikes again

maurice
04-19-2004, 07:16 PM
3-for-5 with 2 doubles today. He's now batting .388.

Diaz has his first rough outing, but gets the win to go 3-and-0.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-19-2004, 07:18 PM
reed for dh while frank gone

MRKARNO
04-19-2004, 07:23 PM
.388? What the hell happened to .400? And the impatient wait for Jeremy Reed continues....

MRKARNO
04-19-2004, 07:25 PM
He was 16 for 44 before this game (16/44=.360) and now he's 19/49? Shouldnt his average be .390 or does BA have their hits and at bats wrong?

And I also noticed Borchard went 0 for 5 AGAIN. Is anybody else finally ready to give up on this idiot?

SoxxoS
04-19-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
And I also noticed Borchard went 0 for 5 AGAIN. Is anybody else finally ready to give up on this idiot?

He still has wrist tendonitits.

jeremyb1
04-19-2004, 08:05 PM
.388? What the hell happened to .400? And the impatient wait for Jeremy Reed continues....

Hopefully we'll see him soon.

Win1ForMe
04-19-2004, 08:14 PM
Even if I did like Rowand in CF, there's something to be said about getting a good left-handed bat for the lineup.

MRKARNO
04-19-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Even if I did like Rowand in CF, there's something to be said about getting a good left-handed bat for the lineup.

Rowand at his best helps the team less than the average playing level of Jeremy Reed. A lineup of:

Harris
Reed
Ordonez
Thomas
Lee
Konerko
Olivo
Crede
Valentin

Would score a lot more runs than the current one. You could Alomar batting 9th and Crede 7th and Valentin 8th for when Buehrle or Scho pitch.

SEALgep
04-19-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda
reed for dh while frank gone They don't want to lose an option on him for when Frank comes back.

poorme
04-19-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
They don't want to lose an option on him for when Frank comes back.

You get three option years on a guy, right? If Reed isn't a full time major leaguer within 3 years, it would be a major, major disappointment.

Bring him up to get a few AB's. He can learn a few things and bring them back down to AAA to work on them.

doublem23
04-19-2004, 08:29 PM

Yeah, I know. Two weeks is a career. Maybe we can swap him for Alex Rodriguez. I mean, he hasn't been hitting, either.

God damn.

Win1ForMe
04-19-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Yeah, I know. Two weeks is a career. Maybe we can swap him for Alex Rodriguez. I mean, he hasn't been hitting, either.

God damn.

You've got to be kidding, right? Alex has a track record of success ,Borchard doesn't (at any level).

Daver
04-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by poorme
You get three option years on a guy, right? If Reed isn't a full time major leaguer within 3 years, it would be a major, major disappointment.

Bring him up to get a few AB's. He can learn a few things and bring them back down to AAA to work on them.

Your also affecting service time,something that the Sox have a habit of being very conservative with.

Kuzman
04-19-2004, 08:49 PM

God damn.

wahahahah Thank you!

maybe we should bring borchard up for frank.. that hideous face can put some fear into the pitchers and fielders of the opposing team... what do ya think? i do belive that is how he got his inside the park home run a couple years back :LTP

doublem23
04-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
You've got to be kidding, right? Alex has a track record of success ,Borchard doesn't (at any level).

Are we talking about the same guy? Because I'm talking about the Joe Borchard who pulled a .295-27-98 a few years ago in AA and who was a consensus pick as one of the best "power" prospects around.

Yes, I'm getting impatient waiting for Joe, but he'll come around.

batmanZoSo
04-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Rowand at his best helps the team less than the average playing level of Jeremy Reed. A lineup of:

Harris
Reed
Ordonez
Thomas
Lee
Konerko
Olivo
Crede
Valentin

Would score a lot more runs than the current one. You could Alomar batting 9th and Crede 7th and Valentin 8th for when Buehrle or Scho pitch.

We might as well bring him up next month. Let him really get on a roll. He's plenty old enough to be here, 22, 23? He went to college, he doesn't have much left to prove down there, probably nothing left. But then what do we do with Timo and Aaron?

voodoochile
04-19-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
We might as well bring him up next month. Let him really get on a roll. He's plenty old enough to be here, 22, 23? He went to college, he doesn't have much left to prove down there, probably nothing left. But then what do we do with Timo and Aaron?

Wave good-bye? Buy them a bus ticket? See if we can get some more baseballs for when the offense really heats up?

Just a few suggestions...

delben91
04-19-2004, 09:24 PM
Imagine all the money that could be saved on extra padding for the outfield walls if Rowand wasn't around anymore. That said, I still like Rowand as the 4th outfielder for the Sox.

SoxxoS
04-19-2004, 10:02 PM
Are we talking about the same guy? Because I'm talking about the Joe Borchard who pulled a .295-27-98 a few years ago in AA and who was a consensus pick as one of the best "power" prospects around.

Yes, I'm getting impatient waiting for Joe, but he'll come around.

First off, those numbers are at Birmingham, which is a hitters haven and AA.

Saying he'll come around is being a little to optimisi for me. He hasn't proved anything since "a few years" and that has to be VERY worrisome for us fans. He spent 2 years in AAA and regressed.

SoxxoS
04-19-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Wave good-bye? Buy them a bus ticket? See if we can get some more baseballs for when the offense really heats up?

Just a few suggestions...

Saying that Aaron should just take the bus out of here is rediculous, IMO. He is a great 4th outfielder option that adds nice depth to all the OF positions. He can pinch run or pinch hit in extra inning ballgames. He is a great player to have on your team. To diminish his worth by saying he can be had for some baseballs is just plain wrong.

voodoochile
04-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Saying that Aaron should just take the bus out of here is rediculous, IMO. He is a great 4th outfielder option that adds nice depth to all the OF positions. He can pinch run or pinch hit in extra inning ballgames. He is a great player to have on your team. To diminish his worth by saying he can be had for some baseballs is just plain wrong.

I'd rather have Harris as the backup OF based on how he will be used for the most part and the fact that their bats aren't significantly different, IMO.

Rex Hudler
04-19-2004, 10:28 PM

Birmingham is just the opposite of a hitter's haven. It is one of the toughest hitter's park in the minors and has always been a delight for pitchers. The park is big, the ball doesn't carry, the infield is slow (its faster this year, but that is beside the point)....

Not sure where you got that it is a hitter's haven.

Daver
04-19-2004, 10:28 PM

Saying he'll come around is being a little to optimisi for me. He hasn't proved anything since "a few years" and that has to be VERY worrisome for us fans. He spent 2 years in AAA and regressed.

Birmingham is the ultimate pitchers park,you have to have hair on the soles of your feet to hit a ball out of there.I would suggest you go to the team website and double check the dimensions there.

AA,for what it's worth,is where you will find the better pitchers,a good majority of the pitchers in AAA are there because they are career minor leaguers.

Cubbiesuck13
04-19-2004, 10:35 PM
i don't think that the team chemistry would be the same without AR. This is the year that they give him a chance, he worked hard and now is even playing well. Why would you swap him with a minor league all star? Doesn't make sense. I could see bringing him up in a spot for Frank or something. I would DH someone else besides Reed tho.

SoxxoS
04-19-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Birmingham is the ultimate pitchers park,you have to have hair on the soles of your feet to hit a ball out of there.I would suggest you go to the team website and double check the dimensions there.

AA,for what it's worth,is where you will find the better pitchers,a good majority of the pitchers in AAA are there because they are career minor leaguers.

Oops. I got Charlotte and Birmingham confused.

That actually still kind of proves my point though...as AAA Charlotte is the hitters haven, and Borchard hasn't done crap there. Plus, the point about the pitchers being better in AA, and Joe hasn't hit the AAA pitchers. Twice.

batmanZoSo
04-19-2004, 11:23 PM

AA is the 'stuff' league. That's where all your great prospects are. But AAA is more polished.

SEALgep
04-19-2004, 11:29 PM
I'd rather have Harris as the backup OF based on how he will be used for the most part and the fact that their bats aren't significantly different, IMO. That isn't likely to happen. KW wants Harris to play second full time, and I certainly agree with that.

voodoochile
04-19-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
That isn't likely to happen. KW wants Harris to play second full time, and I certainly agree with that.

None of this is likely to happen. I mean the premise was what do we do with Rowand and Perez if they bring up Reed.

Reed isn't coming. Rowand and Perez aren't being cut.

Harris needs to prove he can hit consistently to play every day, IMO. Otherwise they should start Uribe and bring Harris off the bench for defensive subs, PR and to spell Uribe and Rowand occasionally.

But I don't get a say in the matter. Of course neither do you so there we go, back to that unlikely to happen thing...

Oh well, might as well call it a night...

doublem23
04-20-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Birmingham is just the opposite of a hitter's haven. It is one of the toughest hitter's park in the minors and has always been a delight for pitchers. The park is big, the ball doesn't carry, the infield is slow (its faster this year, but that is beside the point)....

Not sure where you got that it is a hitter's haven.

I'm sure he's thinking of the bandbox the Knights play in.

StillMissOzzie
04-20-2004, 02:34 AM
Your also affecting service time,something that the Sox have a habit of being very conservative with.

Isn't this because it would affect when a player becomes eligible for arbitration? I'm sure the Sox mgmt. would not want to accelerate that for anyone!

SMO
:gulp:

Randar68
04-20-2004, 11:33 AM

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. But hey, you'd know more about Joe's health than anyone else.

Randar68
04-20-2004, 11:36 AM
None of this is likely to happen. I mean the premise was what do we do with Rowand and Perez if they bring up Reed.

Reed isn't coming. Rowand and Perez aren't being cut.

Harris needs to prove he can hit consistently to play every day, IMO. Otherwise they should start Uribe and bring Harris off the bench for defensive subs, PR and to spell Uribe and Rowand occasionally.

But I don't get a say in the matter. Of course neither do you so there we go, back to that unlikely to happen thing...

Oh well, might as well call it a night...

Actually, I would imagine if they were to bring up Rowand, unless someone goes on the DL, they could cut the pitching staff to 11 for the time being instead of 12.

hold2dibber
04-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. You have absolutely no clue in Hell what you are talking about. A hitter's Haven? Birmingham is one of the 5 biggest parks in the minors you moron.

Ah, there's a little of that ol' Randar sublety we all love! Sheesh - the guy got Birmingham and Charlotte mixed up. No need to rip him a new one.

Randar68
04-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Ah, there's a little of that ol' Randar sublety we all love! Sheesh - the guy got Birmingham and Charlotte mixed up. No need to rip him a new one.

That's ok, he clearly knows what he's talking about with LTP, since he can't find his medical files through Google, that means he's not hurt. He deserved it.

poorme
04-20-2004, 11:59 AM
I'm curious to know what the excuse for Borchard will be this year.

Randar68
04-20-2004, 12:01 PM

There isn't one. It's a make-or-break year, really. His K's are down this year so far and he's making more contact, we'll see how that affects him over the whole season.

Win1ForMe
04-20-2004, 12:05 PM

That he's still "hurt."

ARoman27
04-20-2004, 12:13 PM
Borchard has spent too long a time in the minors to be a top prospect anymore. He is bordering on a bust for top prospects in the minors. White Sox would be lucky to be able to orchestrate a trade to bring us a MLB-ready pitcher for Borchard. The likelihood of Borchard ever playing in a White Sox uniform has become more distant now that Reed and Sweeney have started to distinguish themselves in the minors.

Name me a college quaterback who has made it in the major leagues?

sas1974
04-20-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by ARoman27
Borchard has spent too long a time in the minors to be a top prospect anymore. He is bordering on a bust for top prospects in the minors. White Sox would be lucky to be able to orchestrate a trade to bring us a MLB-ready pitcher for Borchard. The likelihood of Borchard ever playing in a White Sox uniform has become more distant now that Reed and Sweeney have started to distinguish themselves in the minors.

Todd Helton.

ARoman27
04-20-2004, 12:31 PM
Good answer, and Helton was backup to Jeff Colquitt until Colquitt got injured.

Now name me the players who were college QBs who haven't made it as major league ballplayers?

sas1974
04-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Good answer, and Helton was backup to Jeff Colquitt until Colquitt got injured.

Now name me the players who were college QBs who haven't made it as major league ballplayers?

I don't have that kind of time. :D:

ARoman27
04-20-2004, 12:37 PM
The point here is that Borchard certainly didn't meet the expectations that were given. He's played in the minors well past the time normally allotted to a top prospect and the fact that he still isn't hitting the cover off the ball in Charlotte this year should prove something. His confidence has to be shot, his patience at the plate has always been suspect.

Maybe Borchard still has time to make himself eligible for the NFL draft this week?

ma_deuce
04-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Maybe Borchard still has time to make himself eligible for the NFL draft this week?

That or he can try acting. Maybe the lead role in Bull Durham 2. :)

Deuce

SoxxoS
04-20-2004, 01:43 PM
This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. But hey, you'd know more about Joe's health than anyone else.

I corrected myself, King Know-it-all. Some people make mistakes.

We aren't all perfect like you, and we all don't know everything about Borchard, like you obviously do.

Matter of fact, I am going to e-mail Baseball Prospectus, and tell them I have someone they should definitely hire. Randar! He went to the smart-ass know everything school of writing like Rosenbloom. He will fit right in. And he is great friends with Joe Borchard, obviously. Since, you know, there isn't one thing about his wrist tendonititis, in, I don't know, about 10 billion websites.

All I asked was for 1 article on Borachrd's health, and I am still waiting.

SoxxoS
04-20-2004, 01:44 PM

Adam Dunn, who I believe QB'd at Texas for a short time.

Randar68
04-20-2004, 02:59 PM
All I asked was for 1 article on Borachrd's health, and I am still waiting.

Yep, that's the definition of reality. Keep reaching, pal.

SoxxoS
04-20-2004, 03:03 PM
Yep, that's the definition of reality. Keep reaching, pal.

I don't exactly know what you are talking about...I didn't mention reality in my post.

I would seriously say there are hundreds of thousands of sites about baseball. Some people are crazy about their team, as most of us at WSI are. You can pretty much find out the name of a players wife, dog or best friend online. Yet, there is not one article about wrist tendonitis on the internet. No fan site mentioning it, no manager mentioning it in the local paper, no press release...NOTHING.

So call me crazy if I think that is crap.

Randar68
04-20-2004, 03:05 PM
So call me crazy if I think that is crap.

All you have to do is call/e-mail Charlotte or go there and ask him yourself.

SoxxoS
04-20-2004, 03:07 PM
All you have to do is call/e-mail Charlotte or go there and ask him yourself.

Maybe I will do that.

Just a question, why wouldn't they want this info to be released. At least it gives Borchard an excuse as to his horrible performance last year.

If it's true, I would rather have a player saying he played hurt, then not saying he played hurt and everyone telling him he is a bust.

Randar68
04-20-2004, 03:08 PM
If it's true, I would rather have a player saying he played hurt, then not saying he played hurt and everyone telling him he is a bust.

Some people don't want to make excuses, and some people also would not like other pitchers to know that his bat is slow. Call me crazy, fine with me.

MisterB
04-20-2004, 03:10 PM

:milk
Herbert Perry - QB/P
U of Florida 'Gators '88-'90