PDA

View Full Version : Who Thinks Ozzie is Better than Manuel?

SoxBoy14
04-19-2004, 06:50 PM
So far in the season do you think Ozzie is better than Manuel or do you think it's to early to tell?

jabrch
04-19-2004, 07:17 PM
Is this a trick question?

DannyCaterFan
04-19-2004, 07:22 PM
Anything is better than Manual, well almost anyone. No more waiting for the 3 run homer!...Keep up the good aggresive work Oz!

jeremyb1
04-19-2004, 08:07 PM
Maybe this falls in line with it being too soon to tell but I'm just going to say that its way too difficult of a question to evaluate. So far I like Ozzie's ability to motivate the players but you can argue JM did a pretty good job of that in '00. I think some of Ozzie's strategy and his handling of the starting pitchers in particular has left a lot to be desired.

doublem23
04-19-2004, 08:31 PM
This is way too early to tell. The 2002 Sox got off to a hot start, mostly because they were riding incredible Aprils from Lofton, Maggs, etc. Comparing Ozzie's 2 weeks to Manuel's 6 years borders on insane and downright ridiculous.

That, and Jerry does have more championships than Oz.

SSN721
04-20-2004, 06:50 AM
I have to say yes, borderline on too early to tell but I still voted yes because it is hard to get any worse than Manuel.

Iguana775
04-20-2004, 08:32 AM
Who the hell voted for JM??!! lol.

wdelaney72
04-20-2004, 08:32 AM
Jerry obviously had success in 2000, but after that season he couldn't manage a little league team. Who knows what happened to Jerry. Something changed.

It's very early in the season, but it appears to me that Ozzy is getting a lot more out of a less talented club.

soxfan26
04-20-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
This is way too early to tell. The 2002 Sox got off to a hot start, mostly because they were riding incredible Aprils from Lofton, Maggs, etc. Comparing Ozzie's 2 weeks to Manuel's 6 years borders on insane and downright ridiculous.

That, and Jerry does have more championships than Oz.

Exactly. It's far too early to tell. If we are evaluating on straight personality then Ozzie has it, but let's wait until he has at least 10 wins as a manager before labeling him the messiah.

ma_deuce
04-20-2004, 01:06 PM
The fact that the team is happy and seems to have fun on the field is enough, even this early in the season. I haven't seen this team have fun in years...

Deuce

ChiSox14305635
04-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Wow. 2 people voted for Manuel. :?:

fuzzy_patters
04-20-2004, 01:46 PM
For a fair comparison's sake, we should compare the two from the early stages of their careers. Manual had trouble getting Thomas and Belle to get along from the beginning. From all accounts, Ozzie has dramatically improved the clubhouse so I believe he has already proven himself to be a superior manager to JM.

Bisco Stu
04-20-2004, 02:37 PM
Ozzie brings more passion and knows the game better than JM (i.e., noticing little details that can turn a loss into a win).

jlh0023
04-20-2004, 03:33 PM
It seems like a clear solution to me. Ozzie may not have the experience working with the pitching staff or bullpen, but he will learn that as he progresses. However is explicit knowledge of baseball (offensively mostly) and aggresive, proactive style of play are a breath of fresh air for sox fans. Manuel even knew that his laid back attitude would end his career.... After noticing the lack of success and decline in his popularity due to his managing style he chose one game to go out in the first inning and get ejected over a retarded play, just to prove to sox fans that he could be enthusiastically. Ozzie is naturally energetic, and his energy has already made a huge impact on the team and will hopefully continue to do so.