PDA

View Full Version : Will Carrol on Frank's and Jose's injuries.

Dadawg_77
04-19-2004, 06:22 PM
While Arn Tellem tries to get Frank Thomas more money off the field, Thomas is limping on the field. The Big Hurt appears to have a hurt in his hamstring, leaving the game after pulling up trying to leg out a double. As a DH, it's tough to gauge the timeline for this injury without more information, but early quotes from Thomas indicate that he felt a "pop" and feels that he's out for at least a few days before a determination can be made. The ChiSox are also dealing with Jose Valentin's strained hamstring. Valentin left the game in the seventh inning after straining the muscle running to first. He's out for a few days minimum.

http://premium.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2783

Under the Knife is one of the best injury reports I have found.

MRKARNO
04-19-2004, 06:26 PM
We'll do just fine with Uribe at short over Valentin. It's Gload at DH that worries me a bit. Maybe if we have to put Thomas on the DL, it could open up a spot for Jeremy Reed? I know it might be a little early, but giving him a week or so of major league experience might help his development track. Why not have Reed DH or play first in the 2 spot?

Daver
04-19-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
We'll do just fine with Uribe at short over Valentin. It's Gload at DH that worries me a bit. Maybe if we have to put Thomas on the DL, it could open up a spot for Jeremy Reed? I know it might be a little early, but giving him a week or so of major league experience might help his development track. Why not have Reed DH or play first in the 2 spot?

The Sox would also be losing an option year on him if they had no intention of calling him up this year.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-19-2004, 06:57 PM
i'd like a tinkerin' that'd bring reed up for a few dh's

jabrch
04-19-2004, 07:03 PM
Not gonna see Reed up early in the season - not gonna burn a year on the back end of his contract. Gload and Timo would likely split time at DH.

SEALgep
04-19-2004, 08:10 PM
We'll do just fine with Uribe at short over Valentin. It's Gload at DH that worries me a bit. Maybe if we have to put Thomas on the DL, it could open up a spot for Jeremy Reed? I know it might be a little early, but giving him a week or so of major league experience might help his development track. Why not have Reed DH or play first in the 2 spot? Gload can hit.

MRKARNO
04-19-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Daver
The Sox would also be losing an option year on him if they had no intention of calling him up this year.

Well that wouldnt make sense then. I cant profess to know the CBA by heart.

We'll deal with Gload, but we need Reed over Rowand

Daver
04-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Well that wouldnt make sense then. I cant profess to know the CBA by heart.

I don't know the CBA by heart,it is over 200 pages long.

poorme
04-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Boy that's brilliant analysis by BP. Where do I shell out $40? or is it $50 now?

MRKARNO
04-19-2004, 08:28 PM
I don't know the CBA by heart,it is over 200 pages long.

Well then I dont know all of the quirks of minor league contracts

delben91
04-19-2004, 08:55 PM

This isn't a Reed specific question, but if a player gets called up after rosters expand in September, does he still lose the option year? Or is that a special circumstance?

Daver
04-19-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by delben91
This isn't a Reed specific question, but if a player gets called up after rosters expand in September, does he still lose the option year? Or is that a special circumstance?

The same rules apply in Sept.as they do in April.

Teams are allowed to expand the rosters because the minor league season is over for the most part,and it allows teams to basically hold live action tests under MLB conditions,but they are not out of the obligations of service time.