PDA

View Full Version : Interleague Play Question

Viva Magglio
04-19-2004, 03:12 PM
I don't know if this issue has been addressed previously, but why are we playing the NL East in non-Cubs interleague play games this season? We played the NL East two years ago. Wasn't it the NL Central's turn in the rotation?

mantis1212
04-19-2004, 03:35 PM
You're right, I don't know what's up with that. I was kind of hoping to play the brewers this year and go up to Milwaukee...

JohnBasedowYoda
04-19-2004, 03:36 PM
seems like it.

kingpin_rcs
04-19-2004, 03:51 PM
When they decided to go to a system where the interleage divisions rotate, they said that popular rivalrys will always be played. So, no matter what division the cental plays in interleague, the Sox always play the cubs and the Royals always play the Cards.

Likewise in the other divisions. Angels/Dodgers, Mets/Yanks, TB/FLA and HOU/TEX. I think MON always plays TOR. I think that's it but there may be more.

owensmouth
04-19-2004, 04:09 PM
You can add CLE/CIN and OAK/SF.

Max Power
04-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by kingpin_rcs
When they decided to go to a system where the interleage divisions rotate, they said that popular rivalrys will always be played. So, no matter what division the cental plays in interleague, the Sox always play the cubs and the Royals always play the Cards.

Likewise in the other divisions. Angels/Dodgers, Mets/Yanks, TB/FLA and HOU/TEX. I think MON always plays TOR. I think that's it but there may be more.

True, but- Cubs games aside- if the Sox played the NL East 2 years ago and the NL West last year shouldn't they play the NL Central this year?
This interleague setup is a joke anyway. Beating the Cubs is nice, but most of the rest of the matchups are dull. White Sox-Expos, get your tickets early! Whatever.

fquaye149
04-19-2004, 05:00 PM
if i were a betting man, i'd say it's because every year the royals play the cards, the toons play the reds, the sox play the cubs, and the twins play the brewers. cuz of this it would seem central on central interleague play (along with east on east and west on west) might be superfluous.

it makes me sad though, because, living in green bay, i'd love to see my boys at miller park

SoxFan76
04-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
You can add CLE/CIN and OAK/SF.

How come the Ohio series is never mentioned as being a heated rivalry? I mean they are in the same state and all...

MarqSox
04-19-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
How come the Ohio series is never mentioned as being a heated rivalry? I mean they are in the same state and all...
Right ... I'm sure it's just as heated as that intense Anaheim-San Diego rivalry ...

SoxFan76
04-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Yeah, but that's California. Do they even like sports in Cali besided Bonds and basketball? Actually, I have no idea. I just like to rip on California. But Cleveland was good for a long time, and of course there was the Big Red Machine. I'd figure their fans would be pretty passionate. But hey, maybe I'm way off.

DannyCaterFan
04-19-2004, 06:26 PM
I thoroughly enjoy anytime the Sox are playing the National League. The style of baseball is different and we get to see different teams come to town. The Cubs Sox series is also one of a kind.

SoxFan76
04-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Good point about the different style of baseball. A manager needs to think a little more with the NL style of baseball. You can't always leave a pitcher in for a complete game if you need to pinch hit for him. Plus, I love seeing our AL pitchers hit. Somebody actually had an RBI last year, Buerhle I think. That's always fun to watch.

depy48
04-19-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76

I go to School in Ohio, the teams are so spread apart that the fans dont interact with each other. Cinci fans are WAY more hard core than indians fans.

Railsplitter
04-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by kingpin_rcs

Those make sense, but should you ask an East coast team make an extra trip or two to the west coast and vice versa? Also does Boston/ San Diego or Seattle/Miami make any sense?

Dick Allen
04-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
You're right, I don't know what's up with that. I was kind of hoping to play the brewers this year and go up to Milwaukee... The games were played at Miller Park the last time the Sox played the Brewers. Next time, they'll be played at the Cell.

SoxFan76
04-19-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by depy48
I go to School in Ohio, the teams are so spread apart that the fans dont interact with each other. Cinci fans are WAY more hard core than indians fans.

Thanks. I never really paid attention to the geographical locations of the cities. But that makes a lot of sense.