PDA

View Full Version : Wright or Wrong?

jlh0023
04-19-2004, 01:43 PM
Can Wright cut it in the #5 slot. Who else.

SEALgep
04-19-2004, 02:09 PM
What about Diaz?

doublem23
04-19-2004, 02:23 PM
I'd still give Danny the benefit of the doubt for a few more starts. We're still talking about a guy who went 14-12 two years ago. I wouldn't complain if he put up numbers like that in the 5th hole.

mealfred13
04-19-2004, 02:48 PM
I know everyone's been down on Wright for his crappy starts, but were they really THAT bad. Seems to me like all the runs he gave up were off of homeruns. That says to me that he's just throwing a bad pitch a little too often, which can be corrected... I say let him start a couple more times. I mean, if he gives up 3 runs, so be it. Our guys seem to be good enough to get at least 4 runs per game. Haven't done any less on a win this year have they?

CHISOXFAN13
04-19-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I'd still give Danny the benefit of the doubt for a few more starts. We're still talking about a guy who went 14-12 two years ago. I wouldn't complain if he put up numbers like that in the 5th hole.

He won 14 games despite a very high ERA. Wright's problems are the same as they were when he first came up. He can't find the strike zone.

I don't know how many more chances this guy deserves.

Our offense is potent, but it can't be expected to score 6-7 runs every time Wright starts.

CHISOXFAN13
04-19-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by mealfred13
I know everyone's been down on Wright for his crappy starts, but were they really THAT bad. Seems to me like all the runs he gave up were off of homeruns. That says to me that he's just throwing a bad pitch a little too often, which can be corrected... I say let him start a couple more times. I mean, if he gives up 3 runs, so be it. Our guys seem to be good enough to get at least 4 runs per game. Haven't done any less on a win this year have they?

He gave up three runs against TB because our defense threw amazing leather behind him. You can't walk three guys in four innings and be successful. He does it every start.

delben91
04-19-2004, 02:54 PM
If not for the lack of options, I'd vote for giving Rauch a shot. But bringing him up now, if he doesn't work out, I can't see any way he would be able to clear waivers.

With that in mind, I'd maybe give Diaz a shot. Also a huge fan of Cotts, but I like the idea of taking the Buehrle approach with him. Let him spend most of the season in the bullpen, and work him into the rotation slowly.

wdelaney72
04-19-2004, 02:57 PM
Cotts is an Illinois State Redbird. He's the man.

mealfred13
04-19-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
He gave up three runs against TB because our defense threw amazing leather behind him. You can't walk three guys in four innings and be successful. He does it every start.

That is true...I missed the game because I was at work but I remember seeing replays of people saving his ass.

kojak
04-19-2004, 04:04 PM
Because of today's off day and the 26th, Wright could go without a start until May 1 against Toronto- if you factor keeping the 4 other starters pitching on 4 days rest. So we may not need an answer for a couple of weeks yet...

But I vote for Cotts. It is time to end the Danny Wright Experiment

kojak
04-19-2004, 04:07 PM
Check that- Wright would be needed on Saturday the 24th against Tampa. My bad...

ma_deuce
04-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Cotts. He played with a lot of heart last year and deserves a shot.

Deuce

MRKARNO
04-19-2004, 05:29 PM
I know the popular choice is Cotts and I think so too, but what effect would it have if we have 3 lefty starters? It might not be too positive and we might turn our starting staff into the new version of the KC Royals. Or do their lefties just suck and ours are actually good? I hope the latter.

SEALgep
04-19-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I know the popular choice is Cotts and I think so too, but what effect would it have if we have 3 lefty starters? It might not be too positive and we might turn our starting staff into the new version of the KC Royals. Or do their lefties just suck and ours are actually good? I hope the latter. Another point to consider is that Cotts hasn't been pitching a lot of innings throughout the season thus far as well as in ST. With that said, I think he is going to maintain his reliever role for the rest of this year, IMO. Maybe not, but I believe a call up is more likely if Wright isn't the fifth starter.

gogosoxgogo
04-19-2004, 11:13 PM
I gvie Wright one or two more starts to turn it around. I can't go much farther than that. He's had 3+ years now to prove that he's an MLB starter, and he hasn't proved it. Since so many people are convinced he would make a good relief pitcher, I think it's worth trying him out in the pen. If Wright is unable to turn it around, I try Cotts in the fifth starter's spot. He's really pitched well this year. It looks like he realized that he needs to throw strikes at the major league level. I think it's worth giving him a shot. There are some intruiging options, however. I'd be interested to see what Grilli could do (I'm not a big Diaz or Rauch fan), but would rather see him suceed and take his time at AAA. He could be useful later on if Cotts does struggle with the job or if Schoeneweis reverts to what we all know he is more than capable of.

jeremyb1
04-19-2004, 11:28 PM
People, people, people! Need I remind you Neil Cotts has pitched only 3 and two thirds innings this season! Maybe I'm wrong and 80% of posters on this board felt he should be our fifth starter coming into spring training but it sure didn't seem that way. I'm not saying Cotts is or isn't deserving of the spot but please don't use such an incredibly small sample size to form an opinion here. Certainly every pitcher that's spent a considerable amount of time in the league has a 3.2 scoreless innings streak.

batmanZoSo
04-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I know the popular choice is Cotts and I think so too, but what effect would it have if we have 3 lefty starters? It might not be too positive and we might turn our starting staff into the new version of the KC Royals. Or do their lefties just suck and ours are actually good? I hope the latter.

As long as Cotts is decent, it'll be great. Our rotation is setup L R L R R.

With Cotts it would be L R L R L. It's always hard on teams to have a different look every day.

lowesox
04-19-2004, 11:43 PM
I think we can afford to be a little patient with Danny Wright. After all, all of our other starters have ERAs under 4, and even though some of you don't want to admit it, Wright does have some talent. He pitched his way into this spot, the least Ozzie and Co. could do is give him 5-6 starts before they take it away from him.