PDA

View Full Version : Wunsch

muckdogs624
04-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Wunsch in.......___________ out!

jlh0023
04-19-2004, 01:51 PM
I would start by sending Shingo down to Charlotte, but only temporarily. I think Mr. Zero could benefit from spending some time in the minors before facing major league batters again. I would use the time while Shingo is developing in the minors to analyze how Adkins is pitching and see if anyone else should go down. I think eventually Adkins should go down eventually, but i'd like to at least give him a couple of shots in game situations.

gogosoxgogo
04-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Really, when you narrow it down, the only realistic options are Adkins and Cotts. Both have pitched very well in their brief stints in the majors. I'm undeicded between the two. Cotts could go down to AAA and make some regular starts for the time when he eventually replaces Wright in the rotation. Adkins has been solid, but unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any room for him in our bullpen at the present time. Why not send him down to AAA to make starts since he started in the minors and get some regular innings in. He simply isn't going to get enough work in at the major league level. I send Adkins down just because I think Cotts is better, but I wouldn't object to either.

MRKARNO
04-19-2004, 05:27 PM
I expect it to be Adkins. He hasnt done any wrong, but he really does not figure into the team's future plans unless he dominates if he's sent back to charlotte.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-19-2004, 05:32 PM
I accidently voted for the keep him off the team option, but I meant to pick Adkins. He's been fine, but Cotts is better and one of them needs to go down to the minors to be a starter.

Daver
04-19-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
I accidently voted for the keep him off the team option, but I meant to pick Adkins. He's been fine, but Cotts is better and one of them needs to go down to the minors to be a starter.

I fixed it. Your vote now reflects a vote for Adkins.

nodiggity59
04-19-2004, 06:09 PM
I say we send Cotts down to stretch so in a month or 6 weeks we can yank Wright. Then, maybe Adkins goes down to make room for Wright in the bullpen.

That is a really complicated way of saying I want Cotts in the rotation instead of Wright

Nick@Nite
04-19-2004, 06:10 PM
I'd like to see Adkins be made a starter, and Cotts sent to Charlotte to learn how to be a closer.

SEALgep
04-19-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Nick@Nite
I'd like to see Adkins be made a starter, and Cotts sent to Charlotte to learn how to be a closer. Why would you want Cotts to be a closer? Just because he's a good pitcher doesn't mean that would make him a good closer. So many people also think that a good reliever can just turn into a starter as well. Adkins has pitched well, but does that mean he can take over for Wright. Both are better off with their current roles, with the exception of Cotts being a starter possibly next year.

Wright on the other hand has the make up to be a possible closer. If anyone should be sent to Charlotte to learn how to close, it's that guy.

Nick@Nite
04-19-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Why would you want Cotts to be a closer? Just because he's a good pitcher doesn't mean that would make him a good closer. So many people also think that a good reliever can just turn into a starter as well. Adkins has pitched well, but does that mean he can take over for Wright. Both are better off with their current roles, with the exception of Cotts being a starter possibly next year.

Wright on the other hand has the make up to be a possible closer. If anyone should be sent to Charlotte to learn how to close, it's that guy.

I was going strictly on physical attributes;

Adkins.....5'11"...210lbs...DOB 8/30/77...throws R
Cotts.......6'2".....200lbs...DOB 3/25/80...throws L

I'd guess that the rigors of being a closer would be easier on the the younger pitcher who'll probably fill out more body weight wise.

But since you brought up Wright as a possible closer;

Wright.....6'5"....240lbs....DOB 12/14/77...throws R

I would agree that he has the physical tools, as compared to someone like Smoltz;

Smoltz.....6'3"....220lbs...DOB 05/15/67....throws R

Yeah... you convinced me. Send Big Daddy Wright to Charlotte to learn how to be a closer. :smile:

delben91
04-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Anyone else notice that Adkins has some really good movement on his pitches this year? I remember all the reports being "throws hard, but dead straight." A credit to Coop/Champion perhaps?

gogosoxgogo
04-19-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Nick@Nite
I was going strictly on physical attributes;

Adkins.....5'11"...210lbs...DOB 8/30/77...throws R
Cotts.......6'2".....200lbs...DOB 3/25/80...throws L

I'd guess that the rigors of being a closer would be easier on the the younger pitcher who'll probably fill out more body weight wise.

But since you brought up Wright as a possible closer;

Wright.....6'5"....240lbs....DOB 12/14/77...throws R

I would agree that he has the physical tools, as compared to someone like Smoltz;

Smoltz.....6'3"....220lbs...DOB 05/15/67....throws R

Yeah... you convinced me. Send Big Daddy Wright to Charlotte to learn how to be a closer. :smile:

This is how you determine your closer? That's kind of B.S., don't you think? I take it you wouldn't want Billy Wagner (5'11" 195 lbs) on the team, then? How about Rauch for closer?

lowesox
04-19-2004, 11:53 PM
Well, really the person going down should be Takatsu. I mean here's a guy who didn't earn his spot, nor has he really done anything to prove he deserves a major league roster spot (sorry, but in my mind what he's done in Japan means nothing to me). Sending him down could be smart. After all, it would give him a chance to get acclimated to North America - and a chance to pitch more regularly. But, given his contract I doubt he'll be the guy.

Cotts will go. Because A) He throws left B) Guillen LOVES Adkins C) It makes sence as posted above - stretch him out as WRight insurance.

lowesox
04-19-2004, 11:56 PM
After finishing my last post, something else occured to me. Kenny had worked out a trade to deal away Kelly earlier in spring training. Which means, Kelly going down to AAA isn't that unlikely. AFter all, that would give him a chance to get going again and put up some guy numbers. Then, once he's shown his health Kenny could look to pull the trigger on another deal.

That said, I hope it doesn't happen because I love Wunsch and think he's one of our best pitchers.

Nick@Nite
04-20-2004, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogoThis is how you determine your closer? That's kind of B.S., don't you think?
No
Originally posted by gogosoxgogoI take it you wouldn't want Billy Wagner (5'11" 195 lbs) on the team, then?Right now, I'd take Freddie Patek if he could get people out.
Originally posted by gogosoxgogoHow about Rauch for closer?
If he can get the job done, yes.

I didn't imply that height and weight alone is the criteria for the make up of a bullpen closer... only that the physical tools make it easier to stand up to the punishment of answering the bell several times a week, and be used as often as three or four days in a row.

wdelaney72
04-20-2004, 07:36 AM
I voted for Koch but that's not realistic.

I would be for sending Cotts down, ONLY if it was to get him stretched out to take over the 5th starter spot. Given Wright's experience, I understand why Ozzie went with Wright in the starting rotation. I just hope it's a short leash. Cotts has pitched really well out of the bullpen. If Wright can't get it done, Cotts should be the first in line to take over.