PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie vs. Dusty... so far

anoone
04-19-2004, 11:01 AM
I think one thing that has been lost amidst all the attendance comparison, garbage flying, media bias discussions so far is the fact that that Ozzie is outmanaging Dusty after two weeks.

After messing up the ninth inning pitching on opening day (and that can be debated), Ozzie has handled his club very well to get the Sox to this start. Case in point was Saturday's game. After playing a classic corpseball game on Friday, he made some lineup changes (you know, tinkering when needed, instead of just because :o: ), put runners in motion to put them in scoring position, and got positive results. In fact, I think he actually out-managed Lou Pinella in that game, which is no small feat.

Compare that to Dusty Baylor, who screwed up the lineup card (it is HIS responsiblity to make sure the ump is notified, not the ump), left Wood in too long, and then let his pitcher explode instead taking the heat himself. Of course he didn't want to get thrown out on Saturday because he was tossed on Friday, for arguing when he had absolutely no right to argue.

Throw in the asinie comments about witchhunts and "is your wife cheating", while Ozzie tells his team to "respect each other" and "forget about Opening day" and I think Ozzie has easily outperformed Crusty Dusty thus far.

I know that the season is still young, Ozzie is still a rookie, and the Sox have concerns, so stuff can happen. But I'm beginning to think KW and JR might have stumbled onto something good here. Hopefully it keeps up.

Irishsox1
04-19-2004, 11:26 AM
The pressure on the Cubs to win is totally out of control and it is effecting the team's play and the managers thought process. As a result every little move is magnified and the pressure is very heavy. Two days in a row a Cub went totally nuts on an umpire and that is because of the pressure they are feeling from the media, fans and the orginization. Media wise, nobody cares about the Sox and with Ozzie creating a loose atmosphere mixed in with smart aggresive baseball, Ozzie and the players are playing good baseball. It's mid April and everyone is treating the Cubs like its the World Series. Sometimes it pays to be below the radar.

thecell
04-19-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Media wise, nobody cares about the Sox and with Ozzie creating a loose atmosphere mixed in with smart aggresive baseball, Ozzie and the players are playing good baseball. It's mid April and everyone is treating the Cubs like its the World Series. Sometimes it pays to be below the radar.

I agree 100%. I hope the Cubs have a ton more attention than we do until it matters in mid-September.

mantis1212
04-19-2004, 11:40 AM
I still say Ozzie made the right move on opening day. That's Damaso, he's our best releiver and needs to be our closer

nlentz88
04-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
The pressure on the Cubs to win is totally out of control and it is effecting the team's play and the managers thought process.

Well said. The Flubs' Hendry wanted to go out and land a big name manager, and ended up with Dusty. The fans love him, the media adores him, and the players seem to respect him. However, Dusty has become just as much of a celebrity and superstar as any player on his team. I think this can detract from his performance. And as Irishsox1 said, the pressure is on. Can Dusty succeed under pressure? Did he succeed in the pressure-filled playoffs while managing the Giants and the Flubs? No, I'd argue that Dusty instead chokes when the pressure is on. And even though it is only April, there is a ton of pressure at the Urinal. The fans pack the park for every game, roaring with each fly ball, counting "Woody's" mammoth six strike outs , and creating a playoff-like atmosphere. Celebrities come to the game to throw out first pitches, sing during the 7th inning stretch, or just watch the game. The energy in the Urinal is explosive, and this puts a lot of pressure on the players and managers. Unfortunately for Flubs fans, Dusty doesn't work well under pressure.

Now, on the south side Ozzie doesn't have too much pressure to worry about. Sure, it's his first season as a manger and he wants the team to get off to a good start, but his job isn't in jeopardy yet. His reputation as a manager is still being formed. He doesn't have to worry about his team performing to a certain level simply to justify his contract, nor does he need to worry about any type of contract extension. Instead, it's about the fun. Sure, Ozzie cares about his team winning as much as Dusty does, but at least Ozzie can sleep well at night regardless of a game's outcome. I doubt Dusty sleeps as well.

I know it is way too early to offer this prediction, but I'm willing to bet that if the Sox make the playoffs this season that Ozzie wins manager of the year. Furthermore, he has a lot to learn, as do his coaches. These leaders will only get better as they build from season to season. I can see Ozzie developing into one helluva manager for the Sox, perhaps one of the most memorable and favorite of all time.

WSox8404
04-19-2004, 12:31 PM
I think Ozzie has what it takes to be a future hall of fame manager. He has been around the game his entire life, so he does know a little bit about baseball. Naturally he is going to make mistakes once and a while. But to this point so far, he hasn't made many. The one thing he has that many managers do not have is the passion Ozzie has for managing the Sox. Managers change teams often, so they cannot become entirely attached to one team. Ozzie has always loved the Sox, so his whole heart and soul is going to be put out there in order for the Sox to win. That is the difference. I don't care what people say about Dusty Baker. I know he is a good manager, but he just doesn't have the same passion as I know Ozzie does. Baker loves the Cubs, but Ozzie was the one who was involved in his organization for a long, long time. Ozzie will also be around for a much longer time in my opinion.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-19-2004, 12:39 PM
I love guillen and i'm gonna try and start an "ozzie" chant at the start of every game i go to. I hope he continues to do well and learn from any mistakes he might make. It feels good to have someone around that actually cares about this team and has history with it.

I don't see what the big deal is with baker anyway, anytime i pop on a schlubs game all i see is him sitting there eating toothpicks.

Granted i frequently see ozzie hanging off the dugout rail lookin like he just had a heartattack. haha ozzie you so crazy