PDA

View Full Version : Even Moronotti agrees there's a "double standard" to Cubs/Sox perceptions...


hsnterprize
04-19-2004, 07:42 AM
I was looking at today's Mariotti column, and even though Esteban Loaiza threw a 2-hit shutout to help the Sox take 2 out of 3 over the weekend over Tampa Bay, Jay's column was more about the Cubs' failure to win like they're expected to. Oh...like no one bothered to tell anyone that expectations often HURT a team rather than HELP a team...especially the Cubs.

Anyway, near the end of his column, Jay says the following about how people would've reacted if Ozzie Guillen failed to make sure the umpires knew about a pinch-hitter was going to hit...

"If this had happened at U.S. Cellular Field, as White Sox radio host Dave Wills pointed out Sunday, there would be a civic outcry. Granted, we haven't seen a drunk rush onto the field at Wrigley and attack a coach or umpire, but maybe the day is coming. For that matter, if rookie Sox manager Ozzie Guillen had screwed up a double switch, wouldn't we be crucifying him? 'If that happened to me, oh, my God, I would be fired tomorrow,' Guillen said over the weekend in Florida."

He even went as far as to say...

"Like it or not, a double standard exists in Chicago baseball. Five outs from a World Series last fall, the Cubs are expected to contend for a championship this season. So far, the task seems too big for them."

Hmmm...what have I and others have been saying all along. What have we here at WSI been saying about all the "Cubs are going to the World Series" hype that started since the end of last year's NLCS? Too much hype = too little results. And the worst part about this is that the Cubs, their fans, and the all-too-gullible local and national media are responsible for this early-season debacle. Now, as we've been saying, it's what happens on the field that makes a team a contender or pretender...but these are the CUBS we're talking about. This is the team that blames curses, foul balls going the wrong way, and every other excuse imaginable to account for failure after failure. When fans start talking trash about their team going to the Series in FEBRUARY before 1 spring training pitch is thrown, there's a problem. When the print media is putting Cubs pitchers on the front covers of Sports Illustrated saying, "Hell will freeze over, the Cubs will win the World Series", you know what will happen.

Now, in fairness, just like Mariotti and people like me have been saying, it's too early in the season to predit what will happen in October. You don't win division titles, league pennants, and World Series championships in April. Don't tell that to hyped-up Cubs fan though. Many of them think they're already in the Series. And that's a shame...expectation is a *****, isn't it?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...the Sox will surprize a LOT of people this year (and they are doing that already). They will make it far into the post-season while the Cubs won't make the playoffs. I've got an audio clip of NBC 5 morning news anchor Zoraida Sambolin reading an e-mail of mine saying exactly that. If I knew how to put it in my tag, I'd do that in a heartbeat. That way...when those events happen, I'll have proof I said that back in early-April instead of pretending to have said it when the obvious happens.

Maximo
04-19-2004, 08:07 AM
Best thing that can happen is to let the Sox and their fans quietly go about their business and just let things on the Northside continue to evolve into a train wreck.

Long way to go.......but this is beginning to be fun.

Jerko
04-19-2004, 08:56 AM
We may not have seen a drunk run onto the field and attack a coach or umpire, but it's happened with players! Randy Myers got jumped right on the pitcher's mound. And don't even get me started on that whole Dodger bullpen fiasco. Why are those events treated as if they never happened and we get Ligue and Dybass (Cub fan by the way) shoved down our throats when WRIGLEY gets bombarded with garbage? There's your double standard Moronotti.

soxrme
04-19-2004, 09:43 AM
Listen to Harry Tyno---- trying to defend cub fans. Says what happened not like the father and son duo. Conveniently forgets the "Dodger bullpen" incident or the drunk running on the field to clock the pitcher. Thanks to Dave Wills for his little rant yesterday.
And where is Grobber? :gulp:

batmanZoSo
04-19-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
I was looking at today's Mariotti column, and even though Esteban Loaiza threw a 2-hit shutout to help the Sox take 2 out of 3 over the weekend over Tampa Bay, Jay's column was more about the Cubs' failure to win like they're expected to. Oh...like no one bothered to tell anyone that expectations often HURT a team rather than HELP a team...especially the Cubs.

Anyway, near the end of his column, Jay says the following about how people would've reacted if Ozzie Guillen failed to make sure the umpires knew about a pinch-hitter was going to hit...

"If this had happened at U.S. Cellular Field, as White Sox radio host Dave Wills pointed out Sunday, there would be a civic outcry. Granted, we haven't seen a drunk rush onto the field at Wrigley and attack a coach or umpire, but maybe the day is coming. For that matter, if rookie Sox manager Ozzie Guillen had screwed up a double switch, wouldn't we be crucifying him? 'If that happened to me, oh, my God, I would be fired tomorrow,' Guillen said over the weekend in Florida."

He even went as far as to say...

"Like it or not, a double standard exists in Chicago baseball. Five outs from a World Series last fall, the Cubs are expected to contend for a championship this season. So far, the task seems too big for them."

Hmmm...what have I and others have been saying all along. What have we here at WSI been saying about all the "Cubs are going to the World Series" hype that started since the end of last year's NLCS? Too much hype = too little results. And the worst part about this is that the Cubs, their fans, and the all-too-gullible local and national media are responsible for this early-season debacle. Now, as we've been saying, it's what happens on the field that makes a team a contender or pretender...but these are the CUBS we're talking about. This is the team that blames curses, foul balls going the wrong way, and every other excuse imaginable to account for failure after failure. When fans start talking trash about their team going to the Series in FEBRUARY before 1 spring training pitch is thrown, there's a problem. When the print media is putting Cubs pitchers on the front covers of Sports Illustrated saying, "Hell will freeze over, the Cubs will win the World Series", you know what will happen.

Now, in fairness, just like Mariotti and people like me have been saying, it's too early in the season to predit what will happen in October. You don't win division titles, league pennants, and World Series championships in April. Don't tell that to hyped-up Cubs fan though. Many of them think they're already in the Series. And that's a shame...expectation is a *****, isn't it?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...the Sox will surprize a LOT of people this year (and they are doing that already). They will make it far into the post-season while the Cubs won't make the playoffs. I've got an audio clip of NBC 5 morning news anchor Zoraida Sambolin reading an e-mail of mine saying exactly that. If I knew how to put it in my tag, I'd do that in a heartbeat. That way...when those events happen, I'll have proof I said that back in early-April instead of pretending to have said it when the obvious happens.

This is like 1983-1984 with the roles reversed. Over the winter I realized that and started thinking about chicago baseball history and came to the conclusion that we would make the playoffs and the cubs wouldn't. I said the NLCS was an indication that the cubs will never win anything, and that the sox always win when they're not expected to. And I told it to every cub fan I knew and they thought I was nuts.

I mean the sox "lost everyone."

And the cubs got Derrek Lee and Greg Maddux, not to mention the greatest setup man of all time, Latroy Hawkins....all that added to the "best rotation in baseball."

So far, I'm right.

kittle42
04-19-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by soxrme
Listen to Harry Tyno---- trying to defend cub fans. Says what happened not like the father and son duo. Conveniently forgets the "Dodger bullpen" incident or the drunk running on the field to clock the pitcher. Thanks to Dave Wills for his little rant yesterday.
And where is Grobber? :gulp:

I heard what Harry said this morning, too. He was waaaaay off base. It is rare when Mariotti is the sane one in a conversation.

Jeremy
04-19-2004, 12:43 PM
did Marionotti touch upon the Cubs fans in the bleachers throwing all that trash onto the field? Or the one that poured beer on Griffey's head?

Lip Man 1
04-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Hsnt says: "Oh...like no one bothered to tell anyone that expectations often HURT a team rather than HELP a team...especially the Cubs."

As the Sox also found out especially in 1960, 1965, 1968, 1973, 1984, 1995 and 2001.

For some reason historically when the Sox are actually favored to win, they have had a very hard time with it, unlike say the Yankees or the orioles of the mid 60's to the early 70's.

Can't explain why this is so.

Lip

DannyCaterFan
04-19-2004, 02:43 PM
It's just a matter of time before something "major" happens at one of the North side games at Wrigley. The expectations of the fans are beyond believable this year and the pending doom and disappointment of not making the playoffs will cause a meltdown at some point. It is only the first homestand, and already fans are acting like it's September, getting all worked up, etc. With all the excessive drinking going on during the games there, the day will come very soon when some of the fans will do something to finally bring shame on the Cubs and Wrigley Field. The fans are already pelting the field with garbage and it is only April and the Cubs are 6-6.
The Cubs will only win 84 games this year and finish third in their division.... The only Chicago winner this season will be on the south side...GO SOX!!!

hsnterprize
04-19-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by soxrme
Listen to Harry Tyno---- trying to defend cub fans. Says what happened not like the father and son duo. Conveniently forgets the "Dodger bullpen" incident or the drunk running on the field to clock the pitcher. Thanks to Dave Wills for his little rant yesterday.
And where is Grobber? :gulp: The Grobber has been commenting on this on another thread. His take is that he's already made a stink about the fans throwing trash, and that those who criticize his take, or who are griping on how the situation was either talked about or handled aren't on the right side of the fence (no pun intended).

NonetheLoaiza
04-19-2004, 05:29 PM
dave wills is the man.

Corlose 15
04-19-2004, 06:18 PM
What did Dave Wills say on his little rant?

Kuzman
04-19-2004, 07:24 PM
a couple weeks ago when the cubbies blew the game to atlanta i had started to rub it in this one ladies face.. and she told me atleast we dont make excuses when we lose.. i think the entire bowling alley kinda paused like they do in the movies like when you can hear a pin drop.. it was amazing.. anyway long story short majority of the people with me started laughing and started talking about the cubbies blowing up a baseball! and she says.. i wasnt there for it its not like you sox fans have won anything lately.. i then asked her when the cubs have had back to back winning seasons, she told me theyve had winning seasons the last 3 years... i just started to walk away.. i had to leave becuase i knew i was probably going to die with the aura of stupidity around that lady

Dub25
04-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Jeremy
did Marionotti touch upon the Cubs fans in the bleachers throwing all that trash onto the field? Or the one that poured beer on Griffey's head?

He did mention the trash but not the Griffey incident.

This might have been the best article Mariotti has ever written. Although he is like many that he keeps forgetting last year's umpire attacker was a drunk Cub fan.

Tragg
04-19-2004, 10:30 PM
Mariotti's lying again.

Chimp and Steve told us Fri afternoon that great managers like Baker don't "Forget" to inform the ump of their moves. It was the umpire's fault.