PDA

View Full Version : Are You Surprised With Twins?

Lip Man 1
04-18-2004, 11:52 PM
Lost in the very good start by the Sox has been the fact that the Twins are also winning at the same clip. Are you as surprised as I am because:

1. The Twins lost key players in the off season...

2. The Twins lost their billiard ball fast playing surface in favor of a new spongiyer surface...

3. The Twins have been hit hard with injuries to guys like Hunter, Mauer and Helling...

Me thinks they are going to be a pain in the ass again this season.

Lip

doublem23
04-18-2004, 11:55 PM
Not to mention their killer schedule with the Royals, Indians, and Tigers! ****! How will we ever overcome? I think the Twins suck ass.

It'll be nice this September, to see the Twins last 10 games on the road, six of them being here at in New York. **** them.

batmanZoSo
04-18-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Not to mention their killer schedule with the Royals, Indians, and Tigers! ****! How will we ever overcome? I think the Twins suck ass.

It'll be nice this September, to see the Twins last 10 games on the road, six of them being here at in New York. **** them.

LMAO

On one hand, the Twins are a spunky team with a lot of guts and heart...on the other hand #### them twice.

Mohoney
04-19-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Lost in the very good start by the Sox has been the fact that the Twins are also winning at the same clip. Are you as surprised as I am because:

2. The Twins lost their billiard ball fast playing surface in favor of a new spongiyer surface...

3. The Twins have been hit hard with injuries to guys like Hunter, Mauer and Helling...

Lip

What surprises me most is that their bullpen has the best save conversion rate in the division. Plus, they keep on posting 5 run comebacks in the 9th inning. They won't LOSE! The Cubs won't LOSE! It's really bothering me! Why don't teams just lose like they're supposed to?

doublem23
04-19-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Mohoney
What surprises me most is that their bullpen has the best save conversion rate in the division. Plus, they keep on posting 5 run comebacks in the 9th inning. They won't LOSE! The Cubs won't LOSE! It's really bothering me! Why don't teams just lose like they're supposed to?

Because they play **** teams. Wow, wins over the Royals, Indians, and Tigers really something to hang your hat on. We're 4-1 against KC, ourselves you know. And the Cubs... Damn, what a great schedule they've played. The Reds and Pirates are prime competition. By the way, didn't you notice they blew 2 ninth inning leads in two days?

Tragg
04-19-2004, 12:35 AM
I''m not surprised- they have a lot of young talent.

Nor am I surprised with the Royals- they didn't have any pitching last year and they don't this year.

I am surprised with the Tigers

Nevertheless it will be the Twins/Sox, in one order or the other.

SoxxoS
04-19-2004, 12:55 AM
I just hate the Twins. That's all I can say.

kermittheefrog
04-19-2004, 02:28 AM
I'm not surprised because any team in baseball can win 8 of 12. I'd say we can't really talk about a team being surprising until late May. And the Twins still have better talent than we do given all the things you said.

TDog
04-19-2004, 02:54 AM
I am more surprised with the Royals. Not surprised, so much as impressed that the nation's sentimental favorite for the division is 4-8 after playing their first dozen games entirely within the division.

A dozen games at the beginning of the season is just 12 games. Getting off to a good start is important, but every season has its ups and downs. I'm not so sure that the Twinks had a break in their schedule by facing the Royals after KC lost three tough games in Chicago. Or maybe the Sox are the team with the easy schedule, considering that the Yankees have slumped since coming back from Japan.

SSN721
04-19-2004, 06:31 AM
There arent words for me to describe how much I loathe the Twins. It seems like every year they get a few injuries or players leave and they just fill the hole quietly and keep on winning. They just never seem to lose and I am thoroughly convinced that their entire team could get season long injuries and they would just fill the holes with players from the minors and would still contend for the division. That team has been unreal in the last three years they just seem to fall ass backwards into talent and have a hell of an ability to win and refuse to be counted out no matter where they are standing int he division.

gosox41
04-19-2004, 07:06 AM

Lip

I'm not surprised. I had the Twins winning the division this year The only real surpirse is how well they've played through injuries. I knew the team was going to be good. Mauer is going to be a stud when healthy. Nathan replaces Hawkins in the bullpen. Havign SHannon Stewart for the year makes them that much better.

Shoukld be an interesting season.

Bob

fhqwhgads
04-19-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
And the Twins still have better talent than we do given all the things you said.

:o:

Now THERE is something I didn't expect to see on this board.

MRKARNO
04-19-2004, 08:25 AM
The Twins haven't played the Yankees yet, unlike us. They went 0-7 against them last year when they played them early like we did this year, but unlike them we are holding our own against them.

wdelaney72
04-19-2004, 08:29 AM
The Twins have a very underrated manager and an incredible farm system.

Twinkie success should be of no surprise. They do this every year.

davenicholson
04-19-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
There arent words for me to describe how much I loathe the Twins. It seems like every year they get a few injuries or players leave and they just fill the hole quietly and keep on winning. They just never seem to lose and I am thoroughly convinced that their entire team could get season long injuries and they would just fill the holes with players from the minors and would still contend for the division. That team has been unreal in the last three years they just seem to fall ass backwards into talent and have a hell of an ability to win and refuse to be counted out no matter where they are standing int he division.
These seem like reasons to, at least grudgingly, admire them. And maybe toss in a little envy for good measure. This reminds me of the Mariners--lose perhaps the best left-handed starter of his generation? Win. Lose one of the best young outfielders in the game? Win. Lose the best shortstop in the game and maybe the best overall player of his generation? Win. I'll admit to being jealous while still admiring teams that can bounce back from what seem to be crushing personnel losses like these. I save my true hatred for the Cubs, Packers, Red Wings and Yankees. :D:

fhqwhgads
04-19-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The Twins haven't played the Yankees yet, unlike us.

Hey now, you guys haven't played the Tigers yet, and they have a better record than the Yankees.

I love April baseball, and the silly conclusions that can be drawn from it. :D:

soxtalker
04-19-2004, 08:38 AM
For the reasons Lip stated at the beginning of this thread, I am a bit surprised. But the Twins do have a good farm system, and they assume that they must rely upon it. (They are under no illusion that they can dip into the FA market to any great extent.) I think that young teams are often under-rated, and the Twins are no exception this year.

Although it is a bit frustrating, being an underdog is probably an advantage. We have that status this year. The Twins may also, but we should probably assume that they will be good.

SSN721
04-19-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by davenicholson
These seem like reasons to, at least grudgingly, admire them. And maybe toss in a little envy for good measure. This reminds me of the Mariners--lose perhaps the best left-handed starter of his generation? Win. Lose one of the best young outfielders in the game? Win. Lose the best shortstop in the game and maybe the best overall player of his generation? Win. I'll admit to being jealous while still admiring teams that can bounce back from what seem to be crushing personnel losses like these. I save my true hatred for the Cubs, Packers, Red Wings and Yankees. :D:

I definitely admire them. They run their ballclub fantastically. I wish the White Sox were as efficient as the Twins as far as their depth in their farm system and resilience when top players get hurt or leave. I truly despise the Twins because they are in our division and deserve loathing more then any of the other teams you listed. Well except the Red Wings, and throw in the Packers, equal or more hatred for those teams. :D:

Irishsox1
04-19-2004, 09:16 AM
The Twins BELIEVE that they can always beat the Sox. Mankaovich said it best last year when the Sox got Alomar and Everett, he said that the Sox have all the talent but the Twins play like a team. Hopefully Ozzieball can fix that problem and shut the Twins up.

elrod
04-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Watch for the pitching. If the Twins' starting and relief pitching doesn't settle down then they'll falter. If Santana gets back to his 2003 form then the Twins are for real. Don't judge too much on a few come-from-behind games in April. Remember everybody throwing the Sox season away after Opening Day?

jackbrohamer
04-19-2004, 10:14 AM
Bottom line, no matter what the Twinkies do, the Sox had better figure a way to beat them one-on-one if they want to have a chance to win the division. The Twinkies absolutely humiliated the Sox in 2001, played them about 50/50 in 2002, then killed the Sox in Sept. 2003.

Maybe now that the Sox look they have a manager with a pulse, they can beat the Twins when it matters

MRKARNO
04-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by fhqwhgads
Hey now, you guys haven't played the Tigers yet, and they have a better record than the Yankees.

I love April baseball, and the silly conclusions that can be drawn from it. :D:

If it werent for the yanks last year, the Twins mightve run away with the Central. The Yankees destroyed them last year. Good luck with them.

34 Inch Stick
04-19-2004, 10:21 AM
I think Irish is absolutely correct. The last three years have ultimately boiled down to the team that won the head to head, won the division. It certainly appears that the division is heading that direction again. We cannot be champions unless we vanquish the dragon in Minneapolis. I would

duke of dorwood
04-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Not at all-they are the type of TEAM that rolls on and can absorb personell changes. And a built in home field advantage

ChiSox14305635
04-19-2004, 10:35 AM
If the Sox are gonna win this division, they're gonna have to get over this stigma that they can't win in the Metrodome. They need to go in there and play the type of ball they've been playing. No intimidation whatsoever.

batmanZoSo
04-19-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Not at all-they are the type of TEAM that rolls on and can absorb personell changes. And a built in home field advantage

We've overcome six of the seven major tests so far this year, with flying colors.

1.) We won a few games with great pitching
2.) We won a few games by our offense alone
3.) We had a few comeback wins in the ninth..something we haven't done in years
4.) We didn't get razzled by ninth ninning blowups and came back to win the next game
5.) We hit a pitcher we've never seen before...hard
6.) We beat a crappy team that we were supposed to beat (DRays)

Number 7 is beating the Twins. We were 9-5 before collapsing last year. So my guess is we'll put the last piece in place and be able to beat them head-to-head. The last piece being poise in big games where we have to win. We sure didn't have it last year. And so far we've dispelled all the Manuel curses, so there's no reason why we can't or won't dispell the final one.

depy48
04-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I think Irish is absolutely correct. The last three years have ultimately boiled down to the team that won the head to head, won the division. It certainly appears that the division is heading that direction again. We cannot be champions unless we vanquish the dragon in Minneapolis. I would

From May20 to May 24 the Sox play FIVE striaght games in Minnesota. I was really surprised that the MLB sceduled a five game series. The Sox have never been to good in Minnesota, i think after that five game series we can get a better read on how the Twins and the Sox match up.

batmanZoSo
04-19-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by depy48
From May20 to May 24 the Sox play FIVE striaght games in Minnesota. I was really surprised that the MLB sceduled a five game series. The Sox have never been to good in Minnesota, i think after that five game series we can get a better read on how the Twins and the Sox match up.

Is that true? Man that's horse ####. Why do THEY get the series?

Heh, we'll definitely get a good read then.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2004, 12:23 PM
Unless something has recently changed my schedule says it's a four game series May 20th through the 23rd with the 24th off.

By the way let's also not forget that the West Coast has murdered the Sox since August 2000. If the Sox can't change that this season, what they do against the Twins may not matter.

Lip

WinningUgly!
04-19-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by depy48

Unless something has recently changed my schedule says it's a four game series May 20th through the 23rd with the 24th off.

By the way let's also not forget that the West Coast has murdered the Sox since August 2000. If the Sox can't change that this season, what they do against the Twins may not matter.

Lip

ESPN's website has it wrong (go figure). They show the Sox @ MIN May 20-24. The official site shows the 24th as an off date.

ma-gaga
04-19-2004, 01:21 PM
The Twins are absolutely hammering their bullpen right now. If their starters continue to only go 4-5 innings, their pitching staff will be absolutely destroyed come July-August.

I'm NOT surprised because they've gotten to beat up on some teams with worse pitching than them.

I am surprised at how well they've survived the initial injury rash. I expected some with the new carpet at the dome, not nearly this much (and most of the injuries appear to be flukey and not carpet related) . And they've lost some minor league talent due to bullpen issues. Nothing major, but guys that could contribute 40-50 major league innings over the next 2-3 years. I mean, they signed and are using Terry Mullholland?!? gah. It's all about the pitching. Let's see how they shake out the next two weeks before we start crowning division champions.

I am NOT surprised at the Royals lack of a pitching staff. It was all smoke and mirrors last year. ... :gulp:

SoxxoS
04-19-2004, 01:26 PM
I don't think the Royals got the memo about the MAJORITY OF THE LEAGUE BEING RIGHT HANDED.

iwannago
04-19-2004, 01:35 PM

Lip
You also forgot to say they were in the world series at least three times in my lifetime that I remember.