PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen Bar

MarqSox
04-18-2004, 11:20 PM
I think the Sox should keep the Bullpen Bar open every night throughout the baseball season. It is as good as any sports bar around, and it could gain a reputation as THE place to watch Sox away games.

Anybody with me on this? Is there a reason why this isn't already done? Seems pretty logical to me.

CHISOXFAN13
04-18-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I think the Sox should keep the Bullpen Bar open every night throughout the baseball season. It is as good as any sports bar around, and it could gain a reputation as THE place to watch Sox away games.

Anybody with me on this? Is there a reason why this isn't already done? Seems pretty logical to me.

If that was the case, I'd be there every night. I can only imagine how muts that place would be when we are on the road in September.

batmanZoSo
04-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox

You would have to keep the park open with security and such. That would cost a lot of money to accomadate maybe a crowd of 100 at most. What we need is a bar across the street, runned by the Sox.

doublem23
04-18-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
You would have to keep the park open with security and such. That would cost a lot of money to accomadate maybe a crowd of 100 at most. What we need is a bar across the street, runned by the Sox.

Doesn't even have to be run by the Sox, just a Sox bar.

batmanZoSo
04-18-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Doesn't even have to be run by the Sox, just a Sox bar.

But you'd need an entrepeneur willing to put it up and take the risk. That's less likely to happen than the Sox building one. If you ask me, that should be part of the renovations. Make it like an ESPN Zone type thing, but all Sox-oriented. Not just a bar, but high tech arcade games, stuff for families to do, and of course a very rowdy and SEPARATE booze bar.

And have a restaurant part, too. Maybe like a mini mall type deal. That would get mad business and be the hip place to hang out after the game, and before. Instead of packing it up and hopping on 94 ten minutes after the game ends, you can stay and have some fun. And instead of a privately owned bar, all the profits would go to the team. Not just direct profits, but all the extras that could arise from the improved hang-out style atmosphere--ie, better attendance, more parking and concession revenue.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-18-2004, 11:42 PM
miller park has a fridays in it. it's open during the offseason and when the brewers are away. No reason we can't do that with the bullpen bar

Jeremy
04-18-2004, 11:50 PM
there are millions of bars that are right by Comiskey that are all 100% Sox friendly and telecast the away games, some on big screens... reply if you want me to list them

but yeah, I agree, they should have the Bullpen Sports Bar opened... you only need a couple security gards to keep people from going up the ramps and going up the outdoors part.

doublem23
04-18-2004, 11:52 PM
But you'd need an entrepeneur willing to put it up and take the risk. That's less likely to happen than the Sox building one.

Reinsy's not one to take risks with his money.

:reinsy
The Marlins can win a World Series on $60 million. So can I!

batmanZoSo
04-18-2004, 11:57 PM
Reinsy's not one to take risks with his money.

:reinsy
The Marlins can win a World Series on $60 million. So can I!

It's not his money to begin with, it's part of the renovation fund. You have to give them credit for all they've done to the park, just because we whine about it and don't fill it up even when they're in first.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-19-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Jeremy
there are millions of bars that are right by Comiskey that are all 100% Sox friendly and telecast the away games, some on big screens... reply if you want me to list them

but yeah, I agree, they should have the Bullpen Sports Bar opened... you only need a couple security gards to keep people from going up the ramps and going up the outdoors part.

got any really cool White Sox bars on the s.w. side? western ave area by 95th? oak lawn ever? WSI should put a list up or something. I'm not home too often and don't wanna search for a perfect bar.

doublem23
04-19-2004, 12:02 AM
It's not his money to begin with, it's part of the renovation fund. You have to give them credit for all they've done to the park, just because we whine about it and don't fill it up even when they're in first.

What? Last year that place had to draw at least 28,000-30,000 pretty much every game, well above league average. Anyway, I believe the Sox already have the renovations pegged for next year, so I don't think there's that much wiggle room to build something like that. Personally, I'd kind of like to see them build something like that, but have it attached to the park, a la Camden Yards. It really is a good look to have the brick building back there.

Just as long as I get my Ferris Wheel in left field. Could there be a better view in the world of the skyline to your left, all lit up in its evening majesty, and White Sox to your right?

batmanZoSo
04-19-2004, 12:07 AM
What? Last year that place had to draw at least 28,000-30,000 pretty much every game, well above league average. Anyway, I believe the Sox already have the renovations pegged for next year, so I don't think there's that much wiggle room to build something like that. Personally, I'd kind of like to see them build something like that, but have it attached to the park, a la Camden Yards. It really is a good look to have the brick building back there.

Just as long as I get my Ferris Wheel in left field. Could there be a better view in the world of the skyline to your left, all lit up in its evening majesty, and White Sox to your right?

There's no way we drew 30,000 average. Maybe during a short span when we were in first, but that's expected...and still not enough. I was more referring to 2000 when we absolutely dominated all year and we would have 25k for pretty solid matchups. That was bad.

They want to make the place more interactive, this is how you do it.

doublem23
04-19-2004, 12:11 AM
There's no way we drew 30,000 average. Maybe during a short span when we were in first, but that's expected...and still not enough. I was more referring to 2000 when we absolutely dominated all year and we would have 25k for pretty solid matchups. That was bad.

They want to make the place more interactive, this is how you do it.

Again, why do people look at the attendance and not the percent increase? The Sox drew like 45% more fans in 2000 than 1999. The Sox aren't going to magically spike attendance until they show a commitment to winning from the front office and they consistently win on the field. But someone else help me out, that 2nd half, we were getting at least around 28,000 nightly, right?

batmanZoSo
04-19-2004, 12:32 AM
Again, why do people look at the attendance and not the percent increase? The Sox drew like 45% more fans in 2000 than 1999. The Sox aren't going to magically spike attendance until they show a commitment to winning from the front office and they consistently win on the field. But someone else help me out, that 2nd half, we were getting at least around 28,000 nightly, right?

In 2000 we won, then in 2001 everyone knew about us and we got a big name starter. But attendance still stank, even before the injuries and poor play set in.

anewman35
04-19-2004, 07:54 AM

A Ferris Wheel in left field is one of the worst ideas I can imagine. I hope they spend the money on anything but that, we don't need some silly gimmick like that.

wdelaney72
04-19-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda
miller park has a fridays in it. it's open during the offseason and when the brewers are away. No reason we can't do that with the bullpen bar

I agree. I'd like to vote the Sox do the same but with a Hooters.

PINWHEELS
04-19-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda
got any really cool White Sox bars on the s.w. side? western ave area by 95th? oak lawn ever? WSI should put a list up or something. I'm not home too often and don't wanna search for a perfect bar. Two that come to mind are TC'S PUB at 97th and Cicero Ave. in Oak Lawn, And McNally's at 111th and Western Ave. Chicago. But I agree we should have a list.

soxnut
04-19-2004, 09:08 AM
In the first round of renderings onthe HKS website, they had a paragraph the listed the things they wanted to do. On the list was a grand entrance, a kidzone in centerfield and a three-story restaurant.

If ISFA and the Sox are trying to make USCF measure up to the rest of the new ballparks in the MLB, these three things have to be done. I'm sure all the new parks have some type of restuarant/bar that is open all-year.

In the past I've contacted Rob Gallas about keeping the Bullpen Bar open longer after games, and he mentioned the liability the Sox would have if people were leaving there after midnight and drunk. So I suppose that would hold true if they had it open every night. But if there was a TGIF or something that was incorporated, I wonder then if the liability would be on them instead?

BeerHandle
04-19-2004, 12:08 PM
I would love to go watch the Sox games at the Bullpen sports bar. All they would need is the same security as any other nbar since they would block off the bar from the rest of the park.

They should run food and drink specials to get people to go there. It would be awesome!

JohnBasedowYoda
04-19-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by wdelaney72
I agree. I'd like to vote the Sox do the same but with a Hooters.

That'd be awesome. The hooter's waitresses can wear scanty and revealing white sox garb.

jackbrohamer
04-19-2004, 12:28 PM
I'd rather give my hard-earned drinking $$ to a non-Reinsdorf business

RichFitztightly
04-19-2004, 01:08 PM
The only way keeping the bullpen bar open all year round and making it a success is if they lower the prices to "normal" bar prices when the Sox aren't playing. There's no way I'm driving all the way there to drink and pay $5+ per beer.

skottyj242
04-19-2004, 01:24 PM
All this talk about Miller Park and the Friday's, has anyone actually sat out there? It is the worst place in the WORLD to watch a baseball game. The only good thing is at least the alcohol is somewhat reasonably priced. And whoever came up with the idea of the six dollar seat like they have at Miller obviously hasn't sat in them at Miller. They're the epitome of nose bleeds, I believe they call them Uecker seats you can probably touch the top of the dome from up there. They're almost as bad as the "Rock Pile" at Coors in Denver. I paid five dollars for a ticket and could't even walk all the way to my seat because of the thin air.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by skottyj242
All this talk about Miller Park and the Friday's, has anyone actually sat out there? It is the worst place in the WORLD to watch a baseball game. The only good thing is at least the alcohol is somewhat reasonably priced. And whoever came up with the idea of the six dollar seat like they have at Miller obviously hasn't sat in them at Miller. They're the epitome of nose bleeds, I believe they call them Uecker seats you can probably touch the top of the dome from up there. They're almost as bad as the "Rock Pile" at Coors in Denver. I paid five dollars for a ticket and could't even walk all the way to my seat because of the thin air.

Yeah the nosebleeds in Miller are pretty bad. I like sitting in the bleachers there though. But it doesn't compare to the cell at all though. The Uecker seats are a section of seats that cost $1 because they are obstructed. Those sell out all the time.

Bruck35
04-19-2004, 02:06 PM
Just a quick question regarding the Bullpen Bar. Can I get in with an upper deck ticket, or would I need a lower deck seat to access the enterance to the Bar?

I know you need a lower deck ticket to access the 100 level, but I don't know how the BB works because I've never been there. Thanks!

Jerko
04-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Bruck35
Just a quick question regarding the Bullpen Bar. Can I get in with an upper deck ticket, or would I need a lower deck seat to access the enterance to the Bar?

I know you need a lower deck ticket to access the 100 level, but I don't know how the BB works because I've never been there. Thanks!

You can get in with any ticket, but it's a loooooooooong walk all the way to the UD. They don't check the tickets until you get up to the 100 level; bullpen bar is on the ground floor so nobody bothers you checking for tickets. Just go in gate 2 though otherwise you'll have to walk all the way up to your seats, and then down ramp 2 once you get up there.

Bruck35
04-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
You can get in with any ticket, but it's a loooooooooong walk all the way to the UD. They don't check the tickets until you get up to the 100 level; bullpen bar is on the ground floor so nobody bothers you checking for tickets. Just go in gate 2 though otherwise you'll have to walk all the way up to your seats, and then down ramp 2 once you get up there.

Thanks for the info!

Jerko
04-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Bruck35
Thanks for the info!

No problem.

MarqSox
04-19-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by skottyj242
I disagree -- watching the game from Miller's Fridays is no worse than watching from the Bullpen Bar (although the Bullpen Bar is much cooler since you're field-level). At the very least, the Fridays is a very cool place to just hang out, even on non-game days.

WWIII
04-19-2004, 03:09 PM
I've always thought they should use some of the land surrounding the ballpark to set up bars that are attached to USCF but do not connect to the inside. Maybe make them outdoor/open air bars. Then, one can go to USCF to cheer on the best team in Chicago from the bars, before and after the game, and when there are sell-outs, you won't need a ticket to get into the bar.

BeerHandle
04-19-2004, 04:39 PM
I have heard that Daley does not want bars around the ball park because of the continuing Southward push of China Town. Daley wants the area to remain very Neighborhood friendly and not a bar boozig area.

thecell
04-19-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
I have heard that Daley does not want bars around the ball park because of the continuing Southward push of China Town. Daley wants the area to remain very Neighborhood friendly and not a bar boozig area.

Dictator Daley needs to realize the potential revenue that can be generated for the city. He's always talking about how we lose money from tourists and then taxes the hell out of us. BUILD SOME BARS RICHY!

steff
04-19-2004, 04:59 PM

I agree. I go there to see a ball game.. not bar hop. There's plenty to do within blocks of the park. Build another nice park off 37th.. and some nice houses across the Ryan and be done with it.

BeerHandle
04-19-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by steff
I agree. I go there to see a ball game.. not bar hop. There's plenty to do within blocks of the park. Build another nice park off 37th.. and some nice houses across the Ryan and be done with it.

I concur. I tailgate before and after the games. However, a few more bars/restaurants would be great for when we get kicked out of the parking lot.

Bring back McCuddy's (spelling??).

JohnBasedowYoda
04-19-2004, 05:52 PM
i'm sure we all heard stories from our parents who grew up in that area (bridgeport, canaryville, back of the yards) and the neighborhoods had a bar on every corner. Sounds like heaven

red faber
04-20-2004, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
A Ferris Wheel in left field is one of the worst ideas I can imagine. I hope they spend the money on anything but that, we don't need some silly gimmick like that.

i don't think he was serious.

relax,dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Realist
04-20-2004, 04:58 AM
Well, I hope there's room around the park for at least one more bar. I'm planning on opening a White Sox bar in the area just prior to the 2006 season.

Just as soon as I attend to some personal business, (I'm writing and directing a feature film that incidently has a White Sox fan as a main character) I'm all over that new bar like a hobo on a ham sammich.

Keep your ideas and wishes flowin' folks. I'm listening and taking notes. :smile:

MarqSox
04-20-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Realist
Keep your ideas and wishes flowin' folks. I'm listening and taking notes. :smile:
Free shots for the ladies when the Sox score. That way, there will be even more scoring for all Sox fans. :gulp: :gulp: Did I just say that out loud? :o:

soxnut
04-20-2004, 09:27 AM
Well, I hope there's room around the park for at least one more bar. I'm planning on opening a White Sox bar in the area just prior to the 2006 season.

Just as soon as I attend to some personal business, (I'm writing and directing a feature film that incidently has a White Sox fan as a main character) I'm all over that new bar like a hobo on a ham sammich.

I hope everything works out. Where is the approximate location?

soxnut
04-20-2004, 09:50 AM
HOT CORNER
Open year-round, the left field "Hot Corner" is anchored by Friday's Front Row Sports Grill, featuring a great view of the field, the Brewers Fan Zone souvenir shop and the Walls of Honor exhibit recognizing the Negro Leagues, the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League and Wisconsin-born Major Leaguers. Along with the interactive Big League Blast and corporate meeting rooms with views of downtown Milwaukee, the "Hot Corner" is one of the most exciting areas at Miller Park, whether or not the Brewers are in town.

McFadden's Restaurant & Saloon (Third Base Gate)
Two popular Philadelphia restaurants, McFadden's and Zanzibar Blue, have teamed up to provide a sports-oriented restaurant that features many of their signature dishes. Guests can enter from outside (Third Base Gate) or inside the park (behind Section 125). McFadden's is open all year and available for catered events. For information call 215-928-0669
Restaurants at PNC Park
Atria's
103 Federal Street
(412) 322-1850
Outback Steakhouse
109 Federal Street
(412) 321-9003
Seattle's Best
105 Federal Street
Vincent's Pizza Pub
101 Federal Street
(412) 325-4485

PADRES HALL OF FAME BAR & GRILL
The Padres Hall of Fame Bar & Grill offers an extensive buffet with menus that change daily as well as a full bar. This restaurant is open to the public and is located on the fourth floor of the Western Metal Supply Co. Building. Advance reservations are not required.

RESTAURANT ACME CHOPHOUSE
Located on the ground level of the Giants Building, Acme Chophouse is open for dinner seven nights a week starting at 5:30 p.m. Lunch is also served when there is a Giants Day Game starting at 10:30 a.m. When there is a Giants Night Game, serving begins at 4:30 p.m. The Acme Chophouse remains open for dinner until 10 p.m. Sunday through Wednesday, 11 p.m. Thursday through Saturday, and stays open after the Night Games have ended. The menu features an extensive raw bar; wood-grilled steaks, chops, and whole fish; braises like pork shoulder braised in beer; and a daily rotisserie item such as leg of lamb, kid or duckling. Acme Chophouse is located at 24 Willie Mays Plaza, San Francisco, CA, 94104. Phone 415.644.0240, fax 415.644.0242.

Rawlings All American Grille open at The Ballpark:
OPEN YEAR ROUND for your dining and entertainment pleasure, the upscale sports-themed restaurant packs excitement into its 16,000 square foot location at The Ballpark in Arlington. With multiple bars and dining areas, each different in decor and view, you will find Rawlings All American Grille both inviting and exciting!

The vast menu offers over 75 items, ranging from appetizers, soups and salads, signature Gold Glove burgers and sandwiches, pastas, pizza, calzones, seafood, chicken, steaks, and desserts. The signature ribs roast in an Applewood Smoker for hours prior to serving and they even offer many "low carb" items on their mouth-watering menu. And, of course, a Kid's Menu is available.
This sports-watching mecca delivers over 100 TV's (some situated directly in dining booths), including multiple big screens, rear screen units, an incredible improved sound and music system, and the ability to pipe-in the actual in-game sounds! On the Glass tables and the Grand Slam Luxury Suite (complete with a private balcony) are available for purchase through the Rangers ticket office at (817) 273-5100.You'll find rare sports memorabilia of the Texas Rangers and Rawlings Sporting Goods displayed throughout the restaurant. Plus, items for viewing and sale are on hand from the Dallas Stars, Dallas Cowboys, and Dallas Mavericks. A new Media Room will be host to many Rangers post-game radio shows as well. You won't want to miss a chance to have your own laser engraved bat created at the Rawlings Making of the Game kiosk. Great food and lots of fun, visit Rawlings All American Grille

We can/should have anything remotely like this. What an excellent attraction, something like any of these ideas would be in a world-class city with a world-class ballpark.

BeerHandle
04-20-2004, 09:57 AM

Good luck with the endeavor. Have you purchased a building, singed a lease or are you in the beginning stages?

Realist
04-20-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
I hope everything works out. Where is the approximate location?

Thank you for the well wishes. I'm still undecided about the location. I was thinking south loop but lately I've been thinking within walking distance of Sox Park would be much better.

Realist
04-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Good luck with the endeavor. Have you purchased a building, singed a lease or are you in the beginning stages?

Thank you. Thank you. I'm in the beginning stages. I've got an investment that should be ready to pop in 2005 and I've made getting this movie shot my main priority until then. Well.... that and obsessing about the White Sox. :smile:

JohnBasedowYoda
04-20-2004, 01:07 PM
Thank you. Thank you. I'm in the beginning stages. I've got an investment that should be ready to pop in 2005 and I've made getting this movie shot my main priority until then. Well.... that and obsessing about the White Sox. :smile:

you need any background people, or walkons for your flick? i am qualified/certified to walk, sit, stand, and pretend like i'm talking, eating, drinking or even sleeping

soxnut
04-20-2004, 02:50 PM
Thank you for the well wishes. I'm still undecided about the location. I was thinking south loop but lately I've been thinking within walking distance of Sox Park would be much better.

I think it would be great if you could build it within walking distance of the park. Have you done any investigating of the area? Say on 35th? Or maybe you could purchase a parcel from ISFA??

hose
04-20-2004, 02:54 PM

Hangar would make a good character actor :D:

Frankfan4life
04-20-2004, 03:40 PM
But you'd need an entrepeneur willing to put it up and take the risk. That's less likely to happen than the Sox building one. If you ask me, that should be part of the renovations. Make it like an ESPN Zone type thing, but all Sox-oriented. Not just a bar, but high tech arcade games, stuff for families to do, and of course a very rowdy and SEPARATE booze bar.

And have a restaurant part, too. Maybe like a mini mall type deal. That would get mad business and be the hip place to hang out after the game, and before. Instead of packing it up and hopping on 94 ten minutes after the game ends, you can stay and have some fun. And instead of a privately owned bar, all the profits would go to the team. Not just direct profits, but all the extras that could arise from the improved hang-out style atmosphere--ie, better attendance, more parking and concession revenue.
That's a great idea. I hope someone out there is listening.

The Red Sox have a bar in their ballpark that's open during the offseason. They have pool tables and some video games, but it's kind of old and scuzzy.