PDA

View Full Version : retired numbers poll

jortafan
04-18-2004, 08:41 PM
I voted for Chico Carrasquel in the poll on what number ought to be retired, but I have to confess that I really didn't think any of the names on the list demanded retirement (Dick Allen wasn't with the White Sox long enough, in my opinion).

If there's any group of players who deserve recognition, it's the group of stars who were with the Sox back in the early days, when the Sox were a power in the American League.

Guys like Ray Schalk, Ed Walsh, Eddie Collins, Fielder Jones and (dare I say it) Joe Jackson, just to name a few, are as big in Sox history as any of the eight Sox players who do have their numbers retired.

Now I know those guys never wore uniform numbers. And I also realize that none of them are alive, which would make ceremonies retiring their jerseys somewhat anti-climactic.

But I believe the Giants gave Christy Mathewson such recognition, even though he never had a uniform number to retire. We ought to follow that same lead.

Anybody else have any thoughts about this? Or am I alone on this issue.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-18-2004, 09:29 PM
Obviously ballplayers who didn't wear a number can be "retired" but that sort of defeats the whole purpose of the excercise, doesn't it? Erect a statue or mount a plaque to honor such a ballplayer and get it over with. This poll is for *retired numbers* as the poll question clearly states.

Ballplayers recently retired or still playing weren't included either for similar reasons... you can't retire a ballplayer who isn't retired.

Oops, don't tell that to Jerry Reinsdorf! :smile: Harold Baines is his self-described "favorite" and he yet he still retired Harold's #3 a full twelve years before Harold finally quit... and immediately after trading Harold away... the first time. Oh, brother... only the Sox! :D:

The ballplayers selected for this week's poll were those that got the most votes in WSI's Sox Fans' Hall of Fame series of polls back in 1999. It's just for fun, so please don't get too excited over the results. :cool:

Having said all that, this poll is going to be a good one!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

TornLabrum
04-18-2004, 09:36 PM
I voted for Wilhelm, the only one in the HOF who spent a significant portion of his career with the Sox.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-18-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I voted for Wilhelm, the only one in the HOF who spent a significant portion of his career with the Sox.

I'm surprised Wilbur Wood and Dick Allen are doing so well. I figured ballplayers of similar eras would cancel each other out, but that hasn't been the case so far. Ah, but the voting is still early... and this is Chicago, after all.

:gulp:

hempsox
04-18-2004, 10:09 PM
Wood=4 20 plus win seasons with the sox
He led the league twice in wins while with the sox.

He was the best on the list that played the majority of his time on the Sox.

Lip Man 1
04-18-2004, 11:43 PM
As great as Dick Allen was he wasn't around long enough with the Sox.

Ask guys like Billy Pierce and Louie Aparicio how good Jim landis was...in fact Jerome Holtzman then with I think, the Sun Times in the late 50's covering the Sox, voted for Landis as MVP in 59, not Fox (He'd finish 3rd...)

He put in the most time with the club as well through the 64 season. Second choice Gary Peters (who wore #23 only for the first few years, then switched to #43!). peters numbers through the 60's showed him to be in the class of the top left handers in baseball.

Lip

batmanZoSo
04-18-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Obviously ballplayers who didn't wear a number can be "retired" but that sort of defeats the whole purpose of the excercise, doesn't it? Erect a statue or mount a plaque to honor such a ballplayer and get it over with. This poll is for *retired numbers* as the poll question clearly states.

Ballplayers recently retired or still playing weren't included either for similar reasons... you can't retire a ballplayer who isn't retired.

Oops, don't tell that to Jerry Reinsdorf! :smile: Harold Baines is his self-described "favorite" and he yet he still retired Harold's #3 a full twelve years before Harold finally quit... and immediately after trading Harold away... the first time. Oh, brother... only the Sox! :D:

The ballplayers selected for this week's poll were those that got the most votes in WSI's Sox Fans' Hall of Fame series of polls back in 1999. It's just for fun, so please don't get too excited over the results. :cool:

Having said all that, this poll is going to be a good one!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Yeah, Harold's number being retired is pretty cooky. That's gotta be the first time EVER in any sport that a player who's still playing mind you, and for another team, has his number retired. Now he's with us and wearing the number, so no player could have it anyway...lol. And to top it off, it's very debatable that he's worthy of having his number retired. Obviously it happened because JR loves the guy, but it's still weird considering some of the others who DON'T have the honor.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-19-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
....Second choice Gary Peters (who wore #23 only for the first few years, then switched to #43!). peters numbers through the 60's showed him to be in the class of the top left handers in baseball.

My ROY baseball cards show him wearing #23, but you're right about the change to #43 later.

I'm guessing if Peters ever did get his number retired, it would be #43. Too bad, Carlos Castillo. :smile:

Fisk72
04-19-2004, 08:28 AM
This is just out of curiousity, but do any of you think they might add another number to be retired? I know it hasn't been said and I would think they'd hold a special cermony just for that, but I suppose it just got me thinking.

Railsplitter
04-19-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Yeah, Harold's number being retired is pretty cooky. That's gotta be the first time EVER in any sport that a player who's still playing mind you, and for another team, has his number retired. Now he's with us and wearing the number, so no player could have it anyway...lol. And to top it off, it's very debatable that he's worthy of having his number retired. Obviously it happened because JR loves the guy, but it's still weird considering some of the others who DON'T have the honor.

Actually, the Orioles reitred Frank Robinson's #20 after they traded him to the Dodgers.