PDA

View Full Version : New Idea regarding Facade for Outside of Comiskey

Hangar18
04-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Drove by the old ballyard today, and again, really like the way the Roof makes the Parks profile look like a BallPark finally. And it hit me. The SOX could replace up to the 1st level, the pre-cast concrete slabs currently on the outside of the building, and replace them with the same colored bricks now found throughout the inside of the park. They could do them halfway up, as they currently do on the concourses now, and leave the pre-cast from the 2nd level the rest of the way up. I think this is a great idea.............If The SOX do that, and replace the LF Concourse area with a year-round bar/restaurant area, setting off growth in the surrounding area, The Cell would go from one of the Worst parks in the MLB, to one of the Best. As it should be

Frank the Tank
04-18-2004, 06:56 PM
The bricks would look great on the outside. I also suggest they try to cover the visible concrete on the inside of the stadium with bricks or ornamental steel. Unfortunately, management seems to want to spend a lot of the remaining money on making the stadium interactive for kids.

RichFitztightly
04-18-2004, 08:12 PM
I actually think they're content to let the Ivy cover the outside of the stadium. Eventually it'll all be covered.

Irishsox1
04-18-2004, 10:15 PM
Everyone that I've run brick on the exterior idea by says that it would be too expensive, but how much would it be? It seems to me that every new stadium has brick everywhere.

Brian26
04-18-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
The Cell would go from one of the Worst parks in the MLB, to one of the Best. As it should be

Whoa. You don't think the Cell is currently one of the worst parks, do you Hangar? I'd rate it at least in the top 50% (at the worst) right now.

IronFisk
04-19-2004, 12:12 PM
I don't give a damn what they do with the outside of the park. Yeah, the ramps are clunky and such, but it's the inside that matters. I can't remember talking to anybody about the positive features of a stadium's exterior before. Besides, I think everything looks just fine.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-19-2004, 12:29 PM
the place looks great and i like the exterior and even the patches of ivy that are covering bits of it. We don't need any crazy brickwork on the outside or anything, though it'd be nice if they could put the ramps inside so you can actually see the park. The only thing i request and hope happens besides fixing the ramps is that collection of huge billboards

DSpivack
04-19-2004, 12:55 PM
Just went to a Braves game for the first time this past weekend... And of course I'm biased, but I think Turner Field pales in comparison to Comiskey. There is something unique about the Cell that I can't exactly explain.

Though at Turner I sat in nosebleed seats, they were just $5. [Though hot dogs, beer, coke were all about $6 each]. I'd like to only spend $5 to see the Sox.

Fridaythe13thJason
04-19-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
Just went to a Braves game for the first time this past weekend... And of course I'm biased, but I think Turner Field pales in comparison to Comiskey. There is something unique about the Cell that I can't exactly explain.

Though at Turner I sat in nosebleed seats, they were just $5. [Though hot dogs, beer, coke were all about $6 each]. I'd like to only spend $5 to see the Sox.

That's the big thing. The White Sox should go the route of some other teams with struggling attendance. You should be able to buy Upper Deck Reserved for $6....every day. You can always go to Brewers games for that cheap. Especially now since they block the lower deck off for upper deck ticketholders, there should be no issue with MAJOR upgrading.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-19-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by UICJason
That's the big thing. The White Sox should go the route of some other teams with struggling attendance. You should be able to buy Upper Deck Reserved for $6....every day. You can always go to Brewers games for that cheap. Especially now since they block the lower deck off for upper deck ticketholders, there should be no issue with MAJOR upgrading.

I agree completely. The upper deck is reasonable but should be cheaper. I'd gladly plop a few more bucks into buying some beer or churros anyway if the seats were cheaper.

Another thing though is that miller park is huge and their crowds are terrible. So much of that state is packer crazy 24/7 that they could care less about their team, then whine about not getting a payroll.

steff
04-19-2004, 04:12 PM
Oh good grief... now your complaining about the outside..?? Geezus Henry.. do you every find the time to watch a game when you're there or just walk around making notes about all that's wrong with the place.

:whiner: :whiner:

pinwheels3530
04-19-2004, 09:49 PM
Hanger maybe you should re-call your bluff and get season tickets that way you can help pay for the renovations yourself, just a RANDOM thought heh heh!

DSpivack
04-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Another thing about Turner Field is that they have so many pricing options. Comiskey seems relatively simple in only having two pricing areas in the Upper Deck.

Why not reflect the reality that right behind home plate is much better than all the way down the line?

Keep UD tix behind home plate the price that they are; make the worst 6-8 sections in the UD relatively cheap. They would never sell those seats unless for Cubs games, Fireworks nights, Half-price night, etc. Even stagger it as they do for "premium" games already.

I don't see how they could lose money they're not making.

ghostfacesox
04-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Who cares about the architecture, field a contending team and the fans will come in droves.

batmanZoSo
04-19-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by ghostfacesox
Who cares about the architecture, field a contending team and the fans will come in droves.

We all care about the park. What does it matter if you don't? The work they do to the field has no bearing on the payroll whatsoever...except the prospect of the payroll going up because of higher revenue caused directly by having a better ballpark.

wdelaney72
04-20-2004, 07:46 AM
Brick would look nice, but I think it's unnecessary.

Yes, we all agree that fielding a winning team would take care of attendance, but the fact is, they've stated there will be a phase 5, and Hangar is just trying to speculate what it will be.

$5 seats in the upper deck is a great idea. They make their money on concessions and merchandise anyway.

hsnterprize
04-20-2004, 08:01 AM
As much as we've been talking about how the Cell could be improved, I think it's time to start accepting this park for what it is. Granted, it's not brick-faced, it isn't facing downtown, or anything that other cities have. But, I'll give the Sox credit for making the place a lot better than what it was. And...there's another phase in the renovations project, so let's see what happens.

I've given my ideas, but it's time to let it rest. If we want our ballpark to fill up like Wrigley's, there are 2 ways to do it. Either (A)...market the team like the Cubs and make the Cell a tourist attraction so the non-baseball loving people can push the real fans out. or (B)...and I think this will get the most positive reponse...

KEEP HOUNDING THE SOX TO PUT A WINNING TEAM ON THE FIELD.

Sooner or later, the higher-ups with the Sox will get the message. Remember, this isn't Wrigley we're talking about...Sox fans aren't going to go to the ballpark "just because." Unlike Cubs fans, we expect results, not fluff. Green chairs, no outfield concourse billboards, quirky corners, etc., won't mean diddly-squat if the team ON THE FIELD doesn't produce.