PDA

View Full Version : If Maggs Bolts....

munchman33
04-18-2004, 05:53 PM
If Maggs bolts in the offseason, but we sign Beltran to play center, will it appease the masses?

kittle42
04-18-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
If Maggs bolts in the offseason, but we sign Beltran to play center, will it appease the masses?

Why would they throw the cash at Beltran and not at Maggs, when they will pretty much demand nearly the same money, especially if Beltran stays healthy and has a very good year?

munchman33
04-18-2004, 05:57 PM
Personally I'd prefer Beltran.

soxtalker
04-18-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Why would they throw the cash at Beltran and not at Maggs, when they will pretty much demand nearly the same money, especially if Beltran stays healthy and has a very good year?

Yes, it doesn't make any sense. I bet that they'd rely upon the guys at Charlotte.

bartmanisgod
04-18-2004, 06:13 PM
If we lose maggs I would not spend his money on outfield! We have reed carlos anr rowand with possiblity of Borchard contributing as well! I suggest we sign a dominant infilder, possibly Renteria from St. Louis! We have plenty of talent in the OF IMO, but could use a solid SS or 2B for the next 4-5 years

Just a thought...

SEALgep
04-18-2004, 06:22 PM
I like our future outfield, however, I believe it is better solidified with a guy like Maggs. If Maggs were to walk after trying to sign him, and they turned around and signed Beltran for similar money, I wouldn't be that dissappointed. Beltran is a hell of a talent.

Frank the Tank
04-18-2004, 06:40 PM
No

Hangar18
04-18-2004, 06:46 PM
I dont want to think about Losing Maggs right now.
Jerry Reinsdorf better not let that happen, especially since the Cubs are an easy destination for Maggs, considering we've done some PR with him (ooo eee ooo maggg lioooooo). I am shuddering thinking of that.

SoxxoS
04-18-2004, 08:49 PM
I want Renteria.

munchman33
04-18-2004, 08:51 PM
Maybe we'll get Beltran and Renterria to replace Maggs.

jeremyb1
04-18-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by kittle42

Beltran is younger so he'll be in his peak while Maggs will probably drop off considerably by the time he turns 35.

jeremyb1
04-18-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I want Renteria.

The problem with Renteria is it seems to me St. Louis is much more likely to resign him than KC is to resign Beltran.

munchman33
04-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
The problem with Renteria is it seems to me St. Louis is much more likely to resign him than KC is to resign Beltran.

Don't be so sure. They've got major payroll issues, and Renterria is expected to cost a mint.

batmanZoSo
04-18-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by munchman33

I wouldn't mind, but it makes no sense and it will never happen. If you're gonna get rid of Maggs, get three guys who make 5 million, not another guy who makes 15. And Beltran is faster and a better fielder, that's it. Maggs beats him in hitting, albeit slightly. He's just really hot right now. We got Reed coming up soon, he'll almost surely be playing everyday by 05. We won't need Lee then. That's 6 or 7 million saved right there. Koch will be gone, Valentin will be gone. We can easily afford Maggs.

Dadawg_77
04-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Mags is leaving his peak, Beltran is just hitting his. Borchad/Reed might be able to hold down RF for minium salary. Beltran cost = Mags cost, but Reed/Borachads cost < Rowand cost. Thus you might be able to squeeze payroll out of your OF that way.

SEALgep
04-18-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Mags is leaving his peak, Beltran is just hitting his. Borchad/Reed might be able to hold down RF for minium salary. Beltran cost = Mags cost, but Reed/Borachads cost < Rowand cost. Thus you might be able to squeeze payroll out of your OF that way. Maggs isn't leaving his peak. He's 30, and never been seriously hurt. Many good players, like him, can play until they're 40. But they should still be very productive to they are at least 35, barring some injury.

jamteh
04-18-2004, 10:41 PM
Can't we just enjoy the way the season's going and not worry about the off season yet? Who the heck knows what's going to happen in the next six months? And, I, for one, don't really care right now. I'm just looking forward to going to the Sox-Yankees game on Wednesday.

jabrch
04-18-2004, 10:43 PM
Rentiria or Cabrerra would be nice at SS. I'd love to see Magglio stay, but if he won't do it for the kind of money we are offering him, then he is not going to come back. Worst case, I'd be OK with Reed/Borchard in RF, Rowand in CF, Carlos in LF along with FA money (Magglio's 13mm and Valentin's 5mm) used for both Cabrerra and another front of the rotation starter.

batmanZoSo
04-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by jamteh
Can't we just enjoy the way the season's going and not worry about the off season yet? Who the heck knows what's going to happen in the next six months? And, I, for one, don't really care right now. I'm just looking forward to going to the Sox-Yankees game on Wednesday.

That's a good point. We were all devastated by last offseason and many had no hope whatsoever.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/reinsy.jpg
Lesson here? Never question Jerome Reinsdorf!

SEALgep
04-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by jamteh
Can't we just enjoy the way the season's going and not worry about the off season yet? Who the heck knows what's going to happen in the next six months? And, I, for one, don't really care right now. I'm just looking forward to going to the Sox-Yankees game on Wednesday. It's being brought up that a deal is in the works, so why would we wait six months to discuss it. And also, the thread is about this subject.

crector
04-19-2004, 12:50 AM
Maggs bolting would be the bast thing that could happen to the Sox. Either Reed or Sweeney, both of whom should be at least as good if not better than Maggs, could then be brought up to play RF and the money saved could be used to acquire a quality 2b and SS. With solid starters in those 2 positions, the Sox could be on their way to the World Series.

SEALgep
04-19-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by crector
Maggs bolting would be the bast thing that could happen to the Sox. Either Reed or Sweeney, both of whom should be at least as good if not better than Maggs, could then be brought up to play RF and the money saved could be used to acquire a quality 2b and SS. With solid starters in those 2 positions, the Sox could be on their way to the World Series. I like the enthusiasm for or young players, I too am opimistic towards them. However, even if they come in and perform well, they still will be rookies. They're not going to just come in and have Maggs production. Maybe some day, but they no doubtedly will be different than Maggs. I hear what you're saying, but Maggs isn't expendable. If he walks, we will be able to handle it, but it's better for the club if we can retain him.

wdelaney72
04-19-2004, 08:27 AM
I love Maggs. But, Beltrain is a real CF. Rowand is a nice defensive player, but still is unproven at the plate. An outfield of Lee, Beltran, and (Reed or Sweeney) is more appealing to me than Lee, Rowand, Ordonez.

If it comes down to where to spend the money, I would take Renteria over Maggs and Beltran. St. Louis will not be able to afford him. He'll be available.

SEALgep
04-19-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by wdelaney72
I love Maggs. But, Beltrain is a real CF. Rowand is a nice defensive player, but still is unproven at the plate. An outfield of Lee, Beltran, and (Reed or Sweeney) is more appealing to me than Lee, Rowand, Ordonez.

Sweeney may be a couple more years away, while Reed is looking ready. Would you consider Reed in CF with Lee and Maggs on the wings? Personally, as long as Reed can show he can read the ball well there, I would be fine with it.

Dadawg_77
04-19-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Maggs isn't leaving his peak. He's 30, and never been seriously hurt. Many good players, like him, can play until they're 40. But they should still be very productive to they are at least 35, barring some injury.

Historically players peak 27-31. So the Sox would be paying for the downslope part of Mags career. I am not saying those years wouldn't be productive, by it would not be shocking if they are not at the level of past few years.

SEALgep
04-19-2004, 08:45 AM
Historically players peak 27-31. So the Sox would be paying for the downslope part of Mags career. I am not saying those years wouldn't be productive, by it would not be shocking if they are not at the level of past few years. It could be the case, but look at Bonds. Steroids are a beautiful thing.

jabrch
04-19-2004, 08:56 AM
I would rather use FA money to acquire players at positions we have no depth in the organization. I am not close to considering Reeed/LTP/Sweeney anyone near Maggs (or Lee for that matter) until they show they can do it on the major league level, but I'd rather, should Magglio decide to depart, take that money and spend it on a SS (Rentiria/Cabrerra) or a front line SP. (not sure who is FA next year, but a Colon/Vazquez type)

kittle42
04-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Why does anyone think JR would take Maggs' money and throw it at another good, etablished player? He would fill the RF slot with one of our prospects and nickel-and-dime everything else, as usual.

Hate to sound like Lip, but when will we learn?

batmanZoSo
04-19-2004, 11:12 AM
Historically players peak 27-31. So the Sox would be paying for the downslope part of Mags career. I am not saying those years wouldn't be productive, by it would not be shocking if they are not at the level of past few years.

Historically is right. I think times have changed some to where that age bracket should be expanded to like 27-34. There's a ton of guys in their 30s having great years.

If you ask me, Magglio has yet to have his best year. He's at least good for around .300 30 100 for the next 5 years.