PDA

View Full Version : Season so far...

stillz
04-18-2004, 04:31 PM
I'm pretty damn psyched to have an 8-4 team heading home for some games at the Cell. Thus far, how are performances measuring against expectations?

I've been very happy with the Harris/Uribe combo and the overall balanced offense. Crede's not hitting like I was hoping.

Koch looks as unpredictable and sorry as ever.

Anybody know how the first two weeks of 2004 compare to last season's start statistically?

WhiteSox = Life
04-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Forget last year. The Sox are playing very well all-around, so just worry about now. It's much more fun.

:smile:

Frank the Tank
04-18-2004, 06:51 PM
This team reminds me an awful lot of the 2000 AL Central Champion White Sox. The sox are 8-4, but they could very easily be 10-2 right now.

Lip Man 1
04-18-2004, 11:47 PM
Considering all the short comings on the roster, I'll take 8-4 any day.

Lip

batmanZoSo
04-18-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
This team reminds me an awful lot of the 2000 AL Central Champion White Sox. The sox are 8-4, but they could very easily be 10-2 right now.

This is a spitting image of 2000. Everyone is hitting great and pitching great, except for Koch and Thomas. That's kinda worrisome because you know it's not gonna continue for too long but I think I'll take it anyway :smile: . We're not gonna play .670 ball all year either.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-19-2004, 12:17 AM
A team that loves playing for the home crowd coming home for the longest homestand of the season with an 8-4 record all psyched up. Let's get em feisty

SSN721
04-19-2004, 07:02 AM
I am very giddy about the way this season has progressed so far. This site was starting to get me so depressed about this team I was halfway expecting them to be somewhere around 2-10 at this point, if they were lucky. But Harris and Uribe have been great, Olivo is coming around like I was hoping after seeing his potential last year, and just the overall attitude of the team has been great. Its great with them having this record coming back home for a long time.

batmanZoSo
04-19-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
I am very giddy about the way this season has progressed so far. This site was starting to get me so depressed about this team I was halfway expecting them to be somewhere around 2-10 at this point, if they were lucky. But Harris and Uribe have been great, Olivo is coming around like I was hoping after seeing his potential last year, and just the overall attitude of the team has been great. Its great with them having this record coming back home for a long time.

Olivo is outstanding so far. I think he's hitting .391 with a .440 on-base. This will be Sandy's last year unless he wants to either coach or play once every two weeks. Olivo will be the every day starter soon. He's got great speed for a catcher, rated the best arm in baseball at that position, and has some potential with the bat. He'll be an all-star one of these years.

IlliniSox
04-19-2004, 11:57 AM
Olivo's arrival has been great to watch. But I'm not backing away from my Joe Crede preseason prediction: .291, 30, 101 (and a gold glove if it wasn't for A-Rod)

mealfred13
04-19-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Olivo is outstanding so far. I think he's hitting .391 with a .440 on-base. This will be Sandy's last year unless he wants to either coach or play once every two weeks. Olivo will be the every day starter soon. He's got great speed for a catcher, rated the best arm in baseball at that position, and has some potential with the bat. He'll be an all-star one of these years.

I would love to see Sandy as Bench Coach....

IlliniSox
04-19-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by mealfred13
I would love to see Sandy as Bench Coach....

I agree, he knows more about handling a pitching staff than anyone else on the bench.

mealfred13
04-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by IlliniSox
I agree, he knows more about handling a pitching staff than anyone else on the bench.

And bunting, and moving the runner along....and he's clutch as hell, not that that would help on the bench :)

chisox06
04-19-2004, 03:12 PM
Been very happy so far. So good to see the sox coming out swinging instead of the corpseball we saw for the 1st half of last year. I was never able to put an amount of importance on team moral and chemistry, but Ozzie has given me a good idea of how important that is. With JM, their was no desire, no anxiety to get out there and win one for him. Ozzie has given this team a good kick in the ass and so far they have responded very well. Things I like the most..the hot bats, Olivo becoming a major leaguer, sox being aggresive (maybe to aggresive at times but thats good too) on the basepaths, hitting the ball the other way, getting runners over and the fact that this team has had a couple of great comebacks when their backs were against the wall. All the above show just how well Ozzie is fitting in with this club, those are all areas the sox failed in continuously last year. Lets get 2-3 from the Yankmees, they're playing probably the worse they will all year, perfect time for them to come in so we can get them outa the way. So far so good! Looooooooong way to go though.

Toast to Ozzie! :gulp:

NonetheLoaiza
04-19-2004, 03:12 PM
Thomas has really disappointed so far, but he still provides the threat of going deep every time he steps up to the plate. Thomas' days as a .300 hitter look to be over, but he has several players picking up the slack, notably MO. I have to admit, I thought it might take another 3 years for Olivo to become an All-Star caliber player, but he is showing it this year. His defense is the best part, something we have been lacking in a catcher for the past couple of years. Not to mention, he is doing a pretty fantastic job handling the pitchers. I think Sandy has played a integral part in that. Since Olivo's bat is coming around, the Sox are strong at just about every spot in the batting order.

I'm very pleased with the season so far. Some say we could be 10-2 or even 2-10...but its where we stand right now that counts. At 8-4, we have shown things that were lacking last year, most notably an offense. I'm not sure how statistically we rank compared to last year, but I think everyone would agree that the mood surrounding the team is better, and I think that is the key.

Frater Perdurabo
04-19-2004, 04:03 PM
I am very happy with the way the Sox have played thus far. Over the course of the season, things will average out, so that means that Crede and Frank will improve while Konerko and Olivo may not produce at the level they have so far. In short, this team is not clicking on all cylinders but is still 8-4 after having only played three games at home. So I am encouraged.

On the pitching side, the holes that the Sox have shown (#5 starter and bullpen) are things we already knew about and can be filled with mid-season trades. If they keep up the winning ways, attendance won't be a problem and as a result I think JR will give Kenny the green light to fill those holes for a stretch run.