PDA

View Full Version : He's BA-ACK!

MRKARNO
04-18-2004, 04:02 PM
Loaiza With the 2-hitter! Thats the Esteban Loaiza we came to know last year. This can only make you more optimistic about the season and our chances, especially if Schoeneweis comes to fruition.

:eloaiza:

"Wait, you didn't actually think I was going back to the old me?"

soltrain21
04-18-2004, 04:04 PM
I am thinking if we move Cotts into the 5th slot and Wright goes the bullpen we have quite the pitching staff.

Damaso is back too. This is pretty exciting..

stillz
04-18-2004, 04:06 PM
That was huge! His mechanics, demeanor and presence were outstanding. I like the look of our rotation after the first two weeks.

munchman33
04-18-2004, 04:30 PM
Welcome back, ELO!!!! I was really starting to miss you.

HomeFish
04-18-2004, 04:45 PM
The proper spelling is "E-Lo".

Dadawg_77
04-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Didn't he say the cold weather was effecting his grip on his cutter? Since he was learning that that the start of last year, he probally relied on it a lot less then he does now. When he has trouble with the cutter, it effects his game whole lot more then it did last year. Not sure if this is true just a thought.

MRKARNO
04-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Didn't he say the cold weather was effecting his grip on his cutter? Since he was learning that that the start of last year, he probally relied on it a lot less then he does now. When he has trouble with the cutter, it effects his game whole lot more then it did last year. Not sure if this is true just a thought.

Well if I remember correctly during some of his first starts last year it was pretty cold yet his ERA never climbed above 3 in the early part of the year and for that matter, it was never at any point above 3. I think it probably had something to do with it, but we shouldnt make too much of the weather issue. It was probably mostly due in part to the mechanical issue which apparently has been resolved. :)

batmanZoSo
04-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Loaiza With the 2-hitter! Thats the Esteban Loaiza we came to know last year. This can only make you more optimistic about the season and our chances, especially if Schoeneweis comes to fruition.

Our starting staff save for Wright is 5-1 with an era of roughly 3.20. Wright on the other hand is 0-2 with an incalculable ERA. We just need someone to go .500 in the 5 spot. We had the same problem in 93 til we got Tim Belcher.

It would be amazing if Garland and Schoeneweis maintained their current level to some degree.

WSox8404
04-18-2004, 11:36 PM
Ozzie will allow two or three more screwups from Danny. If he does screw up, then we will see a change. Hopefully whoever he puts in there will be around 500. Thats all we need.

Mohoney
04-19-2004, 12:33 AM

The thing is, Loaiza didn't even have a shutout last year!

Loaiza at 3-0? Sounds good to me!

The Sox at 8-4? Sounds even better!

Dan Wright, YOU'RE THE WEAKEST LINK! GOODBYE!

Mohoney
04-19-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by soltrain21
I am thinking if we move Cotts into the 5th slot and Wright goes the bullpen we have quite the pitching staff.

Damaso is back too. This is pretty exciting..

I like Wright in a Pittsburgh cap!

red faber
04-19-2004, 03:30 AM

he did look pretty good out there today.

34 Inch Stick
04-19-2004, 09:30 AM
As always, I say KW should extend Loiza's contract for 3 more years immediately. At worst we will have an average veteran you can put at the end of the rotation. At best we have a cheap Cy Young candidate sewn up for the long term.

SSN721
04-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
As always, I say KW should extend Loiza's contract for 3 more years immediately. At worst we will have an average veteran you can put at the end of the rotation. At best we have a cheap Cy Young candidate sewn up for the long term.

This I completely agree with. If we dont lock up Loaiza for 3, maybe 4, years now at a lower rate he will be gone after this year, there will be no way that we could afford him at the end of this year if he wins at least 16-17 games. I think he will be out of reach at that point. I hope we lock him up soon, are there even any talks going on with that or is the organization just concentrating on Maggs at the moment?

Baby Fisk
04-19-2004, 11:17 AM
Has there been another Sox pitcher who looks so RELAXED during a game? E-Lo's mechanics look like he's playing catch, even though his pitches are in the 90s.