PDA

View Full Version : Esteban Loaiza's stuggles?

SpartanSoxFan
04-18-2004, 01:11 PM
What exactly do you guys think is going on so far with Loaiza??? I understand he is 2-0 on the season so far, but his ERA is fairly high and he hasn't been striking people out at the pace he was at last year. I haven't been able to see him pitch much so far this year because I'm still at school, but what do you guys think the deal is??? Is his cutter not cutting like people have said, or is last year's magic simply done because batters know his stuff now after seeing him?

Meixner007
04-18-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by SpartanSoxFan
What exactly do you guys think is going on so far with Loaiza??? I understand he is 2-0 on the season so far, but his ERA is fairly high and he hasn't been striking people out at the pace he was at last year. I haven't been able to see him pitch much so far this year because I'm still at school, but what do you guys think the deal is??? Is his cutter not cutting like people have said, or is last year's magic simply done because batters know his stuff now after seeing him?

I'm not sure something is wrong with him, persay but I have noticed a few things watching him pitch and reading the papers. I think the reason he isn't off to a "fast start" and I use the term loosely because he's 2-0 and pitching well today...but anyways as for his pitches; his cutter is cutting, but he is not hiting his spots as well as he did last year. For example his cutter starts outside and moves farther outside...it's not really fooling anyone. Another reason I think he's getting hit is because he's faced the same team in a relatively short period of time. Any time you can face the same pitcher fairly recently you're going to have a better feel for what he throws. One more thing i noticed, in the papers him and Coop are trying to find the right arm slot to throw from last year. I think once the season progresses a little more he'll be fine...not that he isn't right now. Sorry for the ramble.

Cubbiesuck13
04-18-2004, 02:29 PM
I think that he is fine. Last year was a fluke. That doesn't mean that he is a bad pitcher just not a cy young caliber. I like him as a number 2. (Even better 3) 12-15 wins is about right for him.

HomeFish
04-18-2004, 02:43 PM
He blew his perfect game in the 4th and his no-hitter one inning later. Boy is he stinking the juice box up today.

ode to veeck
04-18-2004, 02:48 PM
He's looking pretty good vs the Rays today .... its early folks to say one way or the other, two starts does not a season make

WhiteSox = Life
04-18-2004, 03:28 PM
The only struggles today were from the Devil Rays.

Two-hit complete game shutouts are sooo sweet!

:gulp:

HomeFish
04-18-2004, 03:31 PM
I can once again wear my Loaiza jersey tomorrow without fear of embarassment.

Dosen't look that way for all the guys with Maddux gear, though...

batmanZoSo
04-18-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by SpartanSoxFan

What do you say now? :smile:

TDog
04-18-2004, 03:43 PM
Judging E-Lo on the basis of his starts against KC might have been premature.

soltrain21
04-18-2004, 03:52 PM
I think this start sets the table for the rest of the year.

Expect him to go undefeated this year.

SpartanSoxFan
04-18-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
What do you say now? :smile:

I'm totally happy for him, looks like he's back on track!!!! Here's hoping he can stay that way!!!

:)

Nick@Nite
04-18-2004, 03:55 PM
I guess Esteban is one of those big fellas that simply take longer to heat up... he certainly was firing on all cylinders today, especially his cutter. :smile:

WhiteSox = Life
04-18-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Nick@Nite
I guess Esteban is one of those big fellas that simply take longer to heat up... he certainly was firing on all cylinders today, especially his cutter. :smile:

Mmm... Don Cooper as the early-season MVP? Well, if it weren't for the guy sitting, or should I say standing on top of the dugout, wearing number 13.

:D:

my5thbench
04-18-2004, 04:07 PM
what is Loaiza's ERA now? it was 6.00 before today's game

& can homefish explain the fireguillen.com at the bottom of
his posts?

I'm ready to appoint Ozzie king...& some want to fire him
already?

I don't get it

Patrick134
04-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Many of Homefish's posts puzzle me. for instance, during the yanks game last sunday, he proclaimed it a "must win" game, which at this point of the season is absolutely insane. Plus, he was worried at that point about some imaginary cubs sox division rivalry.

soltrain21
04-18-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Patrick134
Many of Homefish's posts puzzle me. for instance, during the yanks game last sunday, he proclaimed it a "must win" game, which at this point of the season is absolutely insane. Plus, he was worried at that point about some imaginary cubs sox division rivalry.

He already threw in the towel for the season, so I really don't want to see him happy about anything the Sox do.

SpartanSoxFan
04-18-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by my5thbench
what is Loaiza's ERA now? it was 6.00 before today's game

& can homefish explain the fireguillen.com at the bottom of
his posts?

I'm ready to appoint Ozzie king...& some want to fire him
already?

I don't get it

I think Loaiza's ERA is around 3.43 or something now.

Bucktown
04-18-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Meixner007
I'm not sure something is wrong with him, persay but I have noticed a few things watching him pitch and reading the papers.

Is not "persay", it is "per se."

-The Grammar Police.