PDA

View Full Version : JR's fundraising schemes

jortafan
04-18-2004, 11:16 AM
Just noticed this story in Crains' Chicago Business, about the latest method being considered by JR and the White Sox brass to try to raise money to keep the ballclub going.

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/mag/article.pl?article_id=21504&arc=n

For those of you not willing to give Crains your personal info and register for the site, the story says that White Sox officials are considering a means by which people can pay several thousands of dollars for the right to get an up-close, personal look at major league baseball.

Besides getting a chance to tour the clubhouse and meet some players, one might also get to perform tasks such as helping the groundskeepers drag the infield in mid-game, or accompany Ozzie Guillen when he takes the lineup card out to the umpires before the start of the game.

Am I the only one who thinks this is cheesy?

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-18-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
Am I the only one who thinks this is cheesy?

no

voodoochile
04-18-2004, 11:50 AM
I think it's cool. I imagine there are lots of people who would love to do this stuff if they had a chance. So, I moved your thread into the Clubhouse where more people will read it.

At least it is offereing something new. If someone will pay 100K or whatever to spend a day with Jose Canseco, then certainly some rich Sox fans will go for this.

munchman33
04-18-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I think it's cool. I imagine there are lots of people who would love to do this stuff if they had a chance. So, I moved your thread into the Clubhouse where more people will read it.

At least it is offereing something new. If someone will pay 100K or whatever to spend a day with Jose Canseco, then certainly some rich Sox fans will go for this.

I am also all for this....as well as

1. It doesn't interfere with the ballclubs ability to function normally.

2. Revenues are put into payroll, not JR's pockets.

3. The players are on board first.

CubKilla
04-18-2004, 11:58 AM
If I got to toss a ball around w/some friends during the Sox warm-ups and take batting practice, I'd pay for this in a heartbeat. Of course, I wouldn't want it to intrude on the players or anything the players would have to do. Either way before or after a game would be fine with me.